SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Horrible Idle, CEL, CVVT? Help

1.5 weeks into ownership and the headaches begin

This morning the R started idling a bit rough. After stopping for coffee I didn't crank it enough to start and then it took quite while to fire up which was immediately followed by the CEL and a surging idle. This repeated for a few start ups and not the idle is consistently horrible, just like a really big cam.

I scanned the code - P0026 - and referenced it to the Volvo specific code which looks like the CVVT solenoid for the intake cam. I had to change the plugs tonight anyways and figured I'd try cleaning it since it was easy to get to.

First of all it had the wrong plugs in it for who knows how long :facepalm:
Looks like the PN on the old plugs is for the other 2.5T

The solenoid looked just fine

Put everything back together and it idles just as bad. Check out the video
http://s18.beta.photobucket.com/use...9-9E7DBF07D2E7-4856-0000027AF8723A55.mp4.html

So can you guys help out? I spent a while searching for potential answers but am stumped now.

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Unplugged the maf this morning at idle and all that did was cause a brief drop and surge of RPMs. If it was a bad coil pack I should be getting a misfire code but thats not the case.

Called the dealer and they have the solenoid and gaskets in stock.

·
Registered
1,242 Posts
Unplugged the maf this morning at idle and all that did was cause a brief drop and surge of RPMs. If it was a bad coil pack I should be getting a misfire code but thats not the case.

Called the dealer and they have the solenoid and gaskets in stock.
You can have a misfire without a CEL. A member on here recently had one and changed his coils and his problem was solved . Check the basics first.

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
You can have a misfire without a CEL. A member on here recently had one and changed his coils and his problem was solved . Check the basics first.
Could be, I ran out of time to check that stuff last night. For a car so finicky I find it hard to believe you'd have such a violent misfire - only at idle - and no CEL for it. This problem only occurs at idle and searching seems to point to symptoms of a bad CVVT solenoid.

I'm not ruling your suggestion out though and might as check the coils one by one with the engine running. On my VW's you'd often get a general misfire code when a coilpack went bad and I'd unplug one coilpack at a time with the engine running until finding the problem.

*Edit*

Since time is of the essence here I had my buddy at a local parts store help me out. Picking up a MAF and set of Coil packs just to have a full arsenal of parts for tonight and I'll just return whats not needed. Was going to take the Volvo to Ohio tomorrow on business but at this point I'll likely end up renting a car for the two week trip.

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
FYI

It was the intake cam cvvt solenoid. Swapped the new one in and between that and the tune up its like an entirely new car. Replaced the gasket on the exhaust solenoid too with the updated version.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts