SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, this weekend i went home to switch out my winter tires as one of them blew out this past weekend due to a nasty pot hole and i was riding on the doughnut. So when i got home i decided to put some new parts on seeing it would only take me an hour or so. So i went home put on my new All seaons, Eagle Gts, replaced the oil with Mobil One, changed out the fuel filter and put in new plugs. The weird thing was, i was getting around 30MPG on the way home and on the way back i was only getting 20 or less. Ive been driving it for a while, probably 400 miles since the new parts and still getting very horrible gas mileage. Any thoughts? Power is still where it should be for a T5 and dont notice anything different than before.

Any ideas would be great,
thanks a bunch

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Re: (shagginwagon)

I bought the Volvo OEM plugs, i gapped them to spec, .7mm i belive it was. If it was poor gapping do you think i would notice a loss of power as well? I figured if it was the plugs i would have a power loss as well, but maybe not

·
Registered
404 Posts
What was your tire pressure on your snow tires versus your all seasons?

The other stuff you did shouldnt have changed anything. The plugs would cause misfire codes if they were really that bad. The fuel filter might be the culprit, but i highly doubt it.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Re: (Turb04S60)

I havent checked the tire pressure, that is something i will check. I know my snows were at 35, but the all seasons are at whatever the shop set them at, they seemed pretty stiff to me. I will have to run out tomorrow and get a gauge and see the pressure but i cant see it making that big of a difference. I notice it the most under acceleration. Before all these parts my "instantaneous" gas milage would not differ very much if i kept the gas pedal at the same spot. Now it fluctuates all over the place sometimes i get 8mpg other times 25mpg but never anything better and i feel it is moving around alot more than it used to.

·
Registered
517 Posts
Re: (swedeman)

Quote, originally posted by swedeman »
I bought the Volvo OEM plugs, i gapped them to spec, .7mm i belive it was. If it was poor gapping do you think i would notice a loss of power as well? I figured if it was the plugs i would have a power loss as well, but maybe not

You could have been given the incorrect plugs. The last time I changed my plugs, I went to the dealership and told the parts man "sparkplugs for a T5" along with the other information that is commonly asked by the parts guy. Well, he gave me plugs for an N/A car. But, because he was the parts man, I didn't doubt him until I took the plugs to my mechanic, who promptly sent me back to get the right plugs.

·
Registered
262 Posts

I bought the Volvo OEM plugs, i gapped them to spec, .7mm i belive it was.

Why do you have to gap them to spec? Dont they get supplied gapped to spec? My new plugs were delivered as per the spec.

Sure you have the right plugs or spec?

·
Registered
367 Posts
Re: (SML)

Quote, originally posted by SML »

Why do you have to gap them to spec? Dont they get supplied gapped to spec? My new plugs were delivered as per the spec.

I been doing plugs and such for a long time, bikes and cars. NEVER trust the factory gap. Things settle in shipping and bump around, and can knock them out of spec.

It's just good to be sure.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Re: (Rezin S60T5)

the plugs were identical to the ones i pulled out, i double checked to be sure. I ordered them from IDP, and i double checked all the gaps to make sure they were set right. Some of them were at .702, while the repair manual says .7mm i figured that was close enough to the point where i should not mess with them. I guess i will pull them again and see whats up.

·
Registered
2021 Volvo S60 T5 FWD
3,036 Posts

Quote, originally posted by SML »

Quote, originally posted by Rezin S60T5 »
I been doing plugs and such for a long time, bikes and cars. NEVER trust the factory gap. Things settle in shipping and bump around, and can knock them out of spec.

It's just good to be sure.

When you gap plugs, what are you doing exactly? I have come to the assumption that the center electrode is stationary, and you are bending the ground electrode closer/farther from it. Is this correct?

If so, I would suspect that the pre-gapping is quite accurate. I just did my plugs and they were all set darn-close to the 0.7mm spec. My old plugs had the center electrode worn down to a ~1mm gap, though... So, can you extend the life of a plug by pulling it out part-way through its life and bending the ground electrode in to shorten the gap?

Hi, this weekend i went home to switch out my winter tires as one of them blew out this past weekend due to a nasty pot hole and i was riding on the doughnut. So when i got home i decided to put some new parts on seeing it would only take me an hour or so. So i went home put on my new All seaons, Eagle Gts, replaced the oil with Mobil One, changed out the fuel filter and put in new plugs. The weird thing was, i was getting around 30MPG on the way home and on the way back i was only getting 20 or less. Ive been driving it for a while, probably 400 miles since the new parts and still getting very horrible gas mileage. Any thoughts? Power is still where it should be for a T5 and dont notice anything different than before.

Any ideas would be great,
thanks a bunch
I just got my snows replaced with all-seasons a month ago and didn't notice any large drops/jumps in gas mileage. Although, 35 psi sounds a bit high for winter tires. Maybe your all-seasons are much too low?

And I just did my fuel filter and spark plugs (also from IPD) this last weekend, but I haven't driven enough to check mileage. Oil will be done soon... Will see if I have any severe drop in gas mileage, too!

ya, well when i get home in 3 weeks ill update and let you guys know what the issue was. It sucks having a tire iron as your only tool!
Live near a Harbor Freight? Get yourself a $20 torque wrench to get you through college
(Having one is better than nothing!)

How about a Sears? I've got this set of tools. Comes in a handy-dandy carrying case and has a good variety of US and metric sockets and wrenches as well as a very good spread of torx screwdriver bits http://********************/smile/emthup.gif (You'll just need to get some sort of extension to get spark plugs in/out, but that shouldn't be a problem as you'll need a spark plug socket anyway!)

Here's a thought: maybe you didn't tighten your turbo charge pipe correctly after replacing your spark plugs? This was the first time I had done plugs on a turbo car and that stupid pipe was such a PITA! (Well, not really... Just one more thing to learn about how to get around... And it's worth having it the rest of the time!
)

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Re: (StarmanDXE)

ya thanks a bunch, let me know what happens to your MPG. My MPG computer says i am going down to as low as 4.4MPG and that is when im pretty much at 3/4 throttle but it still stays around 20MPG going anywhere from 30mph to 50mph so i know something is amiss. And i have tons of tools at home, just not where i am now. I cant wait to get home and start working on my car again. Its a bit of a problem i have. Haha.

And the reason i kept my winter tires high in air pressure was to get better gas mileage. Probably not the best idea but there wasnt anymore snow so i figured why not. Although the ride was pretty harsh

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.