SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In the list of daily driver things to get going, my horn isn't hooked up. I have a V Sport steering wheel. The wires under the wheel cover go to the horn buttons and no where else. I know the horn switches act as the ground.
I just need to know where to route this wire from the steering wheel to the ground wire of the horns. I tried to go down the column, but there is a coupling blocking it half was down.

Thanks!

·
Premium Member
19,953 Posts
In the list of daily driver things to get going, my horn isn't hooked up. I have a V Sport steering wheel. The wires under the wheel cover go to the horn buttons and no where else. I know the horn switches act as the ground.
I just need to know where to route this wire from the steering wheel to the ground wire of the horns. I tried to go down the column, but there is a coupling blocking it half was down.

Thanks!
Does the forward end of the steering box have a hole that lines up with the column?

George Dill

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Does the forward end of the steering box have a hole that lines up with the column?

George Dill
No. The column comes down to a u-joint. It then angles more horizontally into the steering box. There is a small hole in the center, but I can only get a piece of safety wire(stiff) about a foot up. Same from the top but 2 feet. Seems exactly as depicted in the Haynes manual.

·
Premium Member
19,953 Posts
No. The column comes down to a u-joint. It then angles more horizontally into the steering box. There is a small hole in the center, but I can only get a piece of safety wire(stiff) about a foot up. Same from the top but 2 feet. Seems exactly as depicted in the Haynes manual.
It is possible that the small hole is the route for the horn wire and that somehow the original wire was pulled from the top causing the connector to be lodged in the hole.

George Dill

·
Registered
1,393 Posts
I believe the contact is made through a brush up near the top but since I am in a hospital in Tulsa recovering from a lung biopsy (the really painful part was over this morning) I am unable to run out to the garage and czech it out. Give me a couple days. This may be a toughy with an aftermarket wheel.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Jeez, Hope the biopsy results are favorable. Certainly no fun for sure. Had two friends in the last year go through that, with excellent results.

There is a brass or similar bush at the top of the column. It looks like I'd need to take the column apart a bit to get to the inner workings. I took off the covers around the key/turn stalk, etc.
It will be more disassembly to look into it deeper.

The other thing I found is the horn switches themselves don't seem to operate. They don't move in perceptibly, and the wiring didn't show continuity when pressing hard. I may end up putting a button somewhere on the dash.

·
Registered
3,126 Posts
I believe the contact is made through a brush up near the top but since I am in a hospital in Tulsa recovering from a lung biopsy (the really painful part was over this morning) I am unable to run out to the garage and czech it out. Give me a couple days. This may be a toughy with an aftermarket wheel.
Me too on your biopsy results. :)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts