SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
985 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Let's all hope that the launch of the S90 will be smoother than the XC90. Have you read (on Swedespeed) all the issues the XC90 is having since being released a few months ago? In theory, many of these minor bugs should be addressed ahead of the S90 launch since many components including the transmission will carry over to the sedan and other future models.

·
Registered
819 Posts
Let's all hope that the launch of the S90 will be smoother than the XC90. Have you read (on Swedespeed) all the issues the XC90 is having since being released a few months ago? In theory, many of these minor bugs should be addressed ahead of the S90 launch since many components including the transmission will carry over to the sedan and other future models.
99% of the bugs have been software issues what will be taken care of by the Sensus update in November. Mechanical wise there was one isolated incident.

·
Registered
572 Posts
99% of the bugs have been software issues what will be taken care of by the Sensus update in November. Mechanical wise there was one isolated incident.
:thumbup:

The car is very tech laden, and that's what we're dealing with. Software updates will sort that stuff all out. Mechanically, there have been no issues we have seen yet. We've seen a couple build quality issues with correct torquing of electrical connections, but that's it. The S90/V90 is practically the same car as the XC90, so by the time they're released, they should be pretty darn solid.

·
Registered
93 Posts
I had my 2012 S60 in for service.....so I wandered into the showroom and they had an XC 90 on the showroom floor. It is unfortunate that car dealerships don't take more of an interest in their products. After sitting in the drivers seat, I got out of the car.....and to my amazement the door closing sounded very bad. A major rattle from inside the door! I opened the door again to see if something perhaps was in the door pocket, and nothing was evident. If this is the sign of what the quality of these cars are going to be, Volvo will have a tough time.

At our house, we will be in the market for a new car in 2016 (for my wife). We have experienced quality issues with the two Volvos we have (both are 2012 cars: one S60 and one S80). I hope Volvo can get their quality level up. Without quality, seldom is a buyer a repeat buyer. Right now, Volvo will be a very tough sell for us.

·
Registered
985 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I had my 2012 S60 in for service.....so I wandered into the showroom and they had an XC 90 on the showroom floor. It is unfortunate that car dealerships don't take more of an interest in their products. After sitting in the drivers seat, I got out of the car.....and to my amazement the door closing sounded very bad. A major rattle from inside the door! I opened the door again to see if something perhaps was in the door pocket, and nothing was evident. If this is the sign of what the quality of these cars are going to be, Volvo will have a tough time.

At our house, we will be in the market for a new car in 2016 (for my wife). We have experienced quality issues with the two Volvos we have (both are 2012 cars: one S60 and one S80). I hope Volvo can get their quality level up. Without quality, seldom is a buyer a repeat buyer. Right now, Volvo will be a very tough sell for us.
that's totally fair. We have also had two Volvo's. Our 08 V70 was flawless; however, our 2012 XC70 has had several issues including an entire motor replacement at 50K. What keeps Volvo at the top for me is their exceptional service.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Curious, was the window open? Some cars do not have a good time with door rattles when the window is down.

I think isolated quality incidents affect everyone. Overall I guess you have to go with the stats and hand it to Toyota/Lexus.

When it comes to rattles (something about which I am very, very particular) I have found that the Japanese makes have been worse. We've had a Civic, a 1st gen TSX, and a 4th gen TL that were all rattly (in fact the more expensive the car it was the worse it got!). Drove me nuts. Flip side we've also had a GLK and a CLK that were very solid rattle wise. But my newish V60 (2015.5) has been the best of the bunch.

The Volvo so far has been very close to the Mercs in terms of bank-vault-ness.

I suppose I've also been very lucky to have never experienced any mechanical issues with any of my cars, whether European or Japanese.

·
Registered
239 Posts
Interesting on the '12 S60. Ours has 98k miles and it runs like a champ (knocking on wood), in fact I just changed the plugs belatedly at 90k and they looked really good. Mechanically it's been amazing reliable and rugged (crappy gravel roads more than we'd like). It initially had trouble with battery, drivers seatbelt release and the Volvo emblem falling off but that was it. YMMV of course

·
Registered
6,608 Posts
Remember, the P2 XC90 had issues... And it was based on a 5 year old platform by that point... There will be issues. Hopefully none as bad as the grenading V8s, GM (then TF80SC) trans, or excessive module failures that still plague P2 cars.

·
Registered
701 Posts
I always bought Toyota/Lexus and never had a mechanical defect. Then my wife was t-boned in her Lexus followed by 2 years of disability and lawsuits. Now we have Volvo's and large Jags (XJ). Both exhibit some build issues but are fun and safe. Over the 12 years of owning three Volvo's - two OSD, in the fam I have NEVER regretted it, especially with two small (16 yr old driver) accidents and many active safety avoidances. See you in Detroit at the S90 display!

·
Registered
63,543 Posts
ALL Euro (and most other) first year cars have issues, some small, at times large.
To be the first to have one on your block is to understand this can happen.
Same car a year later so it should have less issues, but it also has more tech incorporated so who knows...
I learned this a long time ago and never buy a first year car (new)

·
Registered
487 Posts
Just to be clear, this thread is worthless when you look at how many XC90's have been sold and that fact that you are pointing to posts on an internet forum, which mostly always carry a heavy weighting of criticisms and complaints - especially from anonymous posters and especially in model year #1.

My XC90 door shuts with authority.
My SW is stable
My Sensus was updated with CarPlay and the November Update
The features of Intellisafe amaze me everyday

Is it all perfect? No, I had the car lock itself once while running and it wouldn't open with the Volvo On Call app. BUT, I am not even concerned due to how insane this 7 seater has been performing. It is in a class of its own for 7 seaters. You can focus on the loud voices of those that have experienced problems (as can be found on the other forum) or you can focus on the majority of happy XC90 owners that don't even know this forum exists. Up to you. I will say that I have much empathy for those that have had bugs or issues when purchasing a first model year $60K+ USD vehicle, and that Volvo has had varying levels of success in dealing with some of the customers and with the issues.

I am one of the lucky ones I guess, but I am also in the majority. I'm sure the S90 and V90 will benefit from the launch of the XC90, and hope those models sell equally as well. :D

·
Registered
143 Posts
+1
My 2016 XC90 has been rock solid, 10,000 miles of trouble free driving, why am I in the S90 forum? Because the XC90 has been so good I am considering getting an S90.

·
Registered
2,201 Posts
Keep in mind European cars are always expensive to maintain and always have glitches as they're usually the ones leading the pack on a lot of technology that the American brands and Asian brands later adopt (though, to the benefit of reliability in Japanese/Korean cars' case). For example, drove a 120K 3-yr old Jaguar XJL for a customer (I work as a valet) and the damn engine vibrations were so harsh they shook the entire steering column. Disappointing to say the least considering my 3 yr-old Fiat runs flawlessly.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts