SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
1,363 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The inverted kind, like a wrx I think. Not sticking up above the hood. Can you have too much airflow if you fabricated your intake pipe right to the scoup? Maybe fit a k&n filter between there somehow?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,182 Posts
do you know what the air temp is post-turbo but pre-intercooler? I wonder if a slightly warmer intake temp would have a significant effect on power levels...

·
Registered
3,256 Posts
evo or GT500 is what i plan to go with.

·
Registered
1,199 Posts
I'd be worried about it getting wet more than anything. Those hood scoops are for top mounted intercoolers. You're not running a ram air so it doesn't matter what direction the air comes from. So if you're going to do that turn it around so it's not pulling in road dirty and rain water.

Sent from my SHIELD Tablet using Tapatalk

·
Registered
199 Posts
The engine......gets wet.......if it's not throwing water on the air filter, it won't hurt anything. Detailers spray the whole engine with a hose, rain and water coming off of the road won't get the engine nearly as wet as a direct spray from a hose.

And for the record, vehicles that DO run a ram air system have little baffles and drains to keep water from entering the engine, and I don't imagine that would be hard to duplicate if he chose (for whatever reason) to make the scoop ram-air-able(?).

If you think it'll look nice, do it up!

·
Registered
1,363 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Some way to draw ambient air into the engine. Ram air sounds even better. Maybe I'll actually do a test running without the hood and see if that changes my readings. That would be a good starting place.

·
Registered
199 Posts
Ask MNIWT how that gt500 vent works for him if you want hot air out...

·
Super Moderator
15,166 Posts
One of my original thoughts for a hood scoop. It's a great idea on paper, but it will be a LOT of work to make a subset scoop on the hood.

The GT500 "vent" has done wonders for cooling. We did an underhood test on two cars after some spirited runs. A K16 with a hood vent and a K04 without. The k16 was 16° cooler in the engine bay than the K04, and those turbos are running waaaaay hotter.

After doing some research, while forcing cooler air into the intake is great, that air is still passing through the hot turbo. It almost doesn't even matter the temperature of the air before the intercooler. It's the intercooler's job to cool the air down. At least venting the engine bay does help, and it's still getting some of the hot air out, which was just sitting right around the cone filter. So even a vent helps get slightly cooler air into your intake.

I've come off of AutoX events where the other P1s carefully lifted their hoods without burning their hands. My hood was warm to the touch, but I could put both palms against it without burning them.

·
Registered
3,256 Posts
that hood vent looks really good MNIWT. nice job.

·
Super Moderator
15,166 Posts

·
Registered
175 Posts
fount this via Google. dunno how this works or who's it is but I love it

·
Super Moderator
15,166 Posts
fount this via Google. dunno how this works or who's it is but I love it
You can buy this hood on aliexpress. Pretty pricey, designed to be similar to the Heico Odin hood.

·
Registered
199 Posts
Hey, I'd head up a group buy if 10 or so people would be interested. I'm kinda diggin the CF deck lid too..... :thumbup::thumbup:

·
Registered
388 Posts
Does anyone make a stock replacement carbon fiber hood without the ugly hood scoop?

·
Super Moderator
15,166 Posts
Does anyone make a stock replacement carbon fiber hood without the ugly hood scoop?
No because the stock hood already weighs less than 15lbs. CF would be a waste of money for only being ~2lbs lighter.
There are some very realistic CF vinyls now though, if you just want the look.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts