SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2,351 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My wife's new job includes a company car: Nissan Pathfinder. I want to swap hoods from her '04 S60 2.5T with my '04 VR before I sell it.
Same color, except her's is flawless and mine has 2 dings from a broken garage door spring.:eek:
How difficult is hood removal and do I need two more hands? Thanks!

·
Registered
1,243 Posts
I can do it by myself but it involves some careful balancing with the hood propped up against your shoulder while you get the bolts threaded. Dont tighten more than finger tight until both sides are solid. If you get the first bracket barely threaded, move to the next side which can be balanced gently on the inner fender brackets (why you leave the bolts quite loose). Repeat for the second side at which point the hood will still be quite loose, but will allow you to prop it against one shoulder while adjusting the brackets to closely line up. Before the final tightening of the bolts, gently lower, but DONT latch the hood. If you latch it and it isn't lined up properly, the release might not properly unlatch the hood and things get a little more complicated. If everything lines up with the fenders, do the final bolt-down.....if not, you should be able to figure it out from here.

2 is obviously much easier, but it can certainly be done by one person, just take your time and be very gentle before letting go of the hood until the final tightening is done.

·
Registered
2,351 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I can do it by myself but it involves some careful balancing with the hood propped up against your shoulder while you get the bolts threaded. Dont tighten more than finger tight until both sides are solid. If you get the first bracket barely threaded, move to the next side which can be balanced gently on the inner fender brackets (why you leave the bolts quite loose). Repeat for the second side at which point the hood will still be quite loose, but will allow you to prop it against one shoulder while adjusting the brackets to closely line up. Before the final tightening of the bolts, gently lower, but DONT latch the hood. If you latch it and it isn't lined up properly, the release might not properly unlatch the hood and things get a little more complicated. If everything lines up with the fenders, do the final bolt-down.....if not, you should be able to figure it out from here.

2 is obviously much easier, but it can certainly be done by one person, just take your time and be very gentle before letting go of the hood until the final tightening is done.
Thanks! Great information and detail. Anything special about removing the windshield washer rubber hose?

·
Registered
105 Posts
Depending on your strength you might be able to pick up the R hood by yourself. On the other hand, you might need some help with the regular hood.

·
Registered
5,847 Posts
I'd say, why risk it.. Look for a neighbor to help with the initial part of the swap.

·
Registered
7,612 Posts
Possible but you're far more likely to scratch a fender or chip the paint on the corner if you do it alone.

·
Registered
303 Posts
Easy job... but get a second person for sure ... It really helps in fine tuning the exact placement when putting the hood back on ... Make sure the hood is lined up evenly... Don't tighten it down all the way before checking... The hood may still close even if it's not a 100% even... Measure by the gaps between hood and fender.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts