SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,305 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My ('82 244) hood release (inside the car) has always been a bit 'sticky', but it has taken a turn for the worse.

I need to pull extra hard for it to release the hood, and still, it sticks in the "pulled out" position. I must manually push the release lever back in, to disengage it and be able to close the hood.

I can see where this plastic lever seems to enter a "tube-of-sorts" as it enters the firewall, but I don't know if there is anything I can do to fix the problem. I tried spraying some WD40 into the opening, with possibly some results, but the problem persists.

My fear is that I will some day pull that lever too hard and break it, rendering the hood locked shut.

Any help would be appreciated, GREATLY.

·
Registered
1,305 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Re: Hood release (John2x240)

Thank you. I was afraid of there being rust or something else in there. I guess I'll start as suggested, removing the grille, and go from there.

My 'real' problem with this 240, is the 'design' of the release handle. It has an odd shape to it, where other cars I have owned, including some newer Volvos, have a metal lever, with the cable easily accessible (and in plain sight!).

From what I can see, I can't get to the cable from the inside of the car, as it disappears into that 'tube-of-sorts', and into the firewall!

·
Registered
1,305 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Re: Hood release (RearWheelPaul)

OK - thank you very much.

It does make sense that time and the elements are more likely to affect things outside, rather than inside the cabin. I'll follow all suggestions & look forward to resolving this soon!

Thanks again!

·
Registered
1,305 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Re: Hood release (volvoyankee)

Thanks for the additional tip.

I was going to tackle this project on Sunday, but I broke one of the plastic pins holding the grille, as I tried to remove it, and the other one is likely just as brittle.

I am ordering them from IPD and will take care of this when they arrive, so I don't have to drive around without a grille. I drive this car only 2 days per week, so I guess this week, I will keep it parked!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.