SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
3,254 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I alluded to this in another thread, but I'll mention it here. I can not open my hood by myself. Yes, this sounds weird but I'll explain. When I releas the latch from inside only one side releases. I pull and pull on the other side but it's stuck. Then I thought to ask someone to pull the hood release latch while I held the hood and was pulling. That did the trick and the hood opened. I sprayed some lubricant on the latch and then closed the hood and tried to open it again. No luck. Hood was still stuck. I could fortunately close it all the way tight, but just can't open it without two people.

Any thoughts on an easy fix?

·
Registered
799 Posts
Re: Hood release problem on V70 (soledoc)

I've got a similar problem w/ mine. However, if I give it a bit of a tug after I pull the lever for the first time, it opens after I pull the lever again.

·
Registered
3,254 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Re: Hood release problem on V70 (Beiner)

where is the link to the fix? I couldn't see it on that link.

·
Registered
198 Posts

I believe most everyone of these cars has a problem with the hood sticking on the drivers side.
I adjusted the cable as prescribed and that did not take care of it.
I think the latch on the drivers side needs to be adjusted lower, how much lower I don't know. JRL says you should insure the rubber spacer under the hood is in place before you try this adjustment. If it isn't there and you adjust the latch down and close the hood, you are in deep ca-ca. It will never open again.
If anyone has moved that latch down and taken care of the problem, I would love to hear from you and how much you lowered it.

·
Registered
214 Posts

It's about halfway down the author was a guy named "nlemerise". This may fix your problem. Your problem sounds a little more advanced than others but it's a start.

·
Registered
3,254 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Re: Hood release problem on V70 (Beiner)

Thanks...I see it now. I can't do that myself. I may ask a friend to help...otherwise it's off to the dealer.

·
Premium Member
5,856 Posts

Quote, originally posted by soledoc »
I alluded to this in another thread, but I'll mention it here. I can not open my hood by myself. Yes, this sounds weird but I'll explain. When I releas the latch from inside only one side releases. I pull and pull on the other side but it's stuck. Then I thought to ask someone to pull the hood release latch while I held the hood and was pulling. That did the trick and the hood opened. I sprayed some lubricant on the latch and then closed the hood and tried to open it again. No luck. Hood was still stuck. I could fortunately close it all the way tight, but just can't open it without two people.

Any thoughts on an easy fix?
there is a little rubber square glued on the hood on each side(L&R). IF the square is gone from a side, the hood won't be pretensioned and won't pop when released. Make sure that is on there, if it isn't go to the dealer and get one. I can almost promise you this is what is wrong...

·
Registered
198 Posts
Re: Hood release problem on V70 (gdogg16)

You know what? I think the problem is the thickness or height of the rubber bumper on the hood, not the latch height. As someone just noted in another post, adjusting the latch down pulls the hood down, so if we leave the latch where it is and add just a bit of thickness to the rubber piece, it should put more tension on the latch and make the hood pop up when you pull the release.

·
Registered
198 Posts
Re: Hood release problem on V70 (rogeej)

The rubber pad needs to be thicker!
I put 3 layers of tee shirt material where that pad comes to rest on the plastic in the engine compartment. The hood popped open everytime. Now all I have to do is figure a better way to do it, rather than having a tee shirt hanging out of the grill.
Needless to say, I am open to suggestions.

·
Registered
63,543 Posts

How about new hood rubber?

·
Registered
787 Posts

Quote, originally posted by rogeej »

Needless to say, I am open to suggestions.

Duct tape - a few layers stuck on top of the plastic shroud? It would look better than a tee-shirt until you get to the dealer to get new rubber blocks. (I'll take a wild guess you'll need to order the rubber blocks!)

·
Registered
10 Posts

"I believe most everyone of these cars has a problem with the hood sticking on the drivers side.
I adjusted the cable as prescribed and that did not take care of it.
I think the latch on the drivers side needs to be adjusted lower, how much lower I don't know. JRL says you should insure the rubber spacer under the hood is in place before you try this adjustment. If it isn't there and you adjust the latch down and close the hood, you are in deep ca-ca. It will never open again.
If anyone has moved that latch down and taken care of the problem, I would love to hear from you and how much you lowered it."

I lowered the drivers side latch about 1/8" today. 3 bolts with a 10 mm socket. A little tight but easily done. I do not notice any difference in fit of the hood on that side. Both rubber bumpers were in place.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.