SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,

I have to replace the handle that's attached under the hood that's used to open the hood once it's been released on the inside. I've tried to install the new one but it's not sturdy and comes off easily. It doesn't have screws to attach it just mounting holes that I guess it slides into somehow. I took it back off because I didn't want it to break.

Can anyone help me out with this?

Thanks

1999 S70 GLT

·
Registered
761 Posts
Have any pics of what it looks like? personally i've never taken one off so I don't know.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
UPDATE!!!

Well, I broke down and took my car to the mechanic at the dealership. As it turns out, I was installing the handle the right way all along, It's just not staying in place. My wife has hit a few deer with that car so the last time the body shop must have replaced the hood. So the 2 square hole that you hook the bottom of the handle into are a tad bit too large so when you snap the handle in place, there is not enough "friction" to keep it in place. He even tried to reduce the size of the opening by putting a piece of tape at the bottom of the hole hoping that that would push the handle up enough to keep it engaged with the hood, that didn't work either.

So at least I know I was doing it right. Do any of you have any suggestions on how I can make it work?

Thanks

PS - still can't figure out how to post photos.

·
Registered
2,437 Posts
yeah, tell your wife to stop hitting deer! Sorry couldn't resist.

Uhm, you could try building the area up with JB weld or something and then filing it back down into the shape needed.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
yeah, tell your wife to stop hitting deer! Sorry couldn't resist.

I tried that after the first one she hit... she hit 3 total. My son drives the car now, I better tell him. :cool:

Uhm, you could try building the area up with JB weld or something and then filing it back down into the shape needed.
That sounds like it might work. Thanks for the tip.

·
Registered
7,612 Posts
If I remember right, it snaps in really hard. If you put it in so that it feels snug but then falls out, it's not actually in. There's a trick to it, but it's been 4 years since I put one in and I've forgotten.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well if you remember the trick, please let me know.

If I remember right, it snaps in really hard. If you put it in so that it feels snug but then falls out, it's not actually in. There's a trick to it, but it's been 4 years since I put one in and I've forgotten.

·
Registered
7,612 Posts
I brought my wrecked C70 home so I was able to remember what it is. The hooks don't go into the holes, the hooks go into the grille opening, and the other squares snap hard into the holes. Surprisingly this was only broken but still attached to my car.

Does that help?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
@LloydDobler,

I broke down and took my car to the mechanic at the dealership. As it turns out, I was installing the handle the right way all along, It's just not staying in place. My wife has hit a few deer with that car so the last time the body shop must have replaced the hood. So the 2 square hole that you hook the bottom of the handle into are a tad bit too large so when you snap the handle in place, there is not enough "friction" to keep it in place. He even tried to reduce the size of the opening by putting a piece of tape at the bottom of the hole hoping that that would push the handle up enough to keep it engaged with the hood, that didn't work either.

So at least I know I was doing it right. Do any of you have any suggestions on how I can make it work?

·
Registered
7,612 Posts
Maybe put spacer material on the grill opening where the hooks go over? Like layers of foil tape? I think the other tabs only need to bite on the top of the square opening, so if that's true lifting it upwards should help. Other than that, making sure the holes are as flat as possible and stuff like that. Maybe work them over with a pliers. Sorry to not be any more help.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts