SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Talked with my dealer today to check the status of my new ride only to find out it has a hood latch recall of some sort. Anyone else been told that?

·
Registered
37 Posts
Interesting. Every time I try to close the hood it bounces off the the opening mechanism. Have to "jiggle" or move it to the right for closure. Interesting...another gremlin. Thanks for the heads up.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Interesting. Every time I try to close the hood it bounces off the the opening mechanism. Have to "jiggle" or move it to the right for closure. Interesting...another gremlin. Thanks for the heads up.
I was shocked when the dealer told me about the hood latch recall as I have been following this forum before the car was ever ordered! You're welcome jawright3, maybe Grecian Volvo can shed some light on this issue.

·
Registered
1,766 Posts
I haven't heard anything yet but it was about 2 months after I first read about the last recall here that I heard from Volvo so not surprising.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Has anyone had a "Hood Open, Stop Safely" message come up repeatedly while driving? Each time we get in the car, this message kicks in persistently after about 5 minutes.

Of course, the hood is not actually open. We learned that after stopping the check the first three times.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
3,749 Posts
This hood latch thing (forget the wording on the paperwork) was listed as something they performed (amongst a slew of other items) when I brought my car in for the update two weeks back. It probably wasnt a recall but a technical service bulletin type thing. There are often many things that get categorized as a TSB on vehicles but never hit the more severe recall status level.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Thank you. We picked the car up today so was disappointed to have an issue within the first 50 miles. Hopefully a quick fix and not the ongoing gremlins that others have reported,

·
Registered
3,652 Posts
I have not heard of a recall on the hood latch. There was a routine Service Action S89651 and Technical Journal 30518 for the secondary hood latch. Here is a summary of S89651:

A "cable tie" was being added to secure the secondary release cable. It was reported that some customers may experience "that the secondary hood latch release is not functioning, preventing the hood from opening." It affects 1520 cars in the US and Canada.

If this is the subject of the recall, then it is a quick fix and is not a safety issue per se (IMO).

·
Registered
42 Posts
This doesn't sound like the same thing. Since we picked up the car yesterday (and now about after 5 minutes of driving) we get the hood open warning. Strange and worrisome to have a shop visit with less than 50 miles on the car.

·
Registered
1,436 Posts
No I don't think it is the same thing, I had the recall/tsb but never got a hood open message. Since you your hood seems to be working though, it probably is both a simple fix and a non-emergency so I would just schedule service when convenient.

·
Registered
1,732 Posts
Strange and worrisome to have a shop visit with less than 50 miles on the car.
In a perfect world, you're right. But in the world we live in - the first few hundred miles are the first real "use" of the systems on the car and are the most likely time to find out if there's something not quite right.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Indeed. Will call it in tomorrow. Let's see what happens.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
478 Posts
On my 1992 740, my odometer died trying to get to 1000 miles. I had to drive it stuck at 999 miles for a few weeks while the got the part. These things happen.

·
Registered
42 Posts
An update: car went in today (with a loaner on short notice). The service team was able to recreate the issue and traced it to a faulty micro switch . The part is on order (with no eta unfortunately due to the new model) but they disconnected the hood warning so the car is drive-able without the persistent alarm until the part comes in. They've also assured me that they don't expect the hood to fly open on the highway.

I'll call this a good response by the service team.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 15 of 15 Posts