SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've seen some videos that included the insulation pad under the hood. Is this supposed to be included or not in the US? Mine, for some reason, did not have the insulation pad and I wonder if the factory forgot to install it when they should have...

Car Vehicle Vehicle registration plate Motor vehicle Plant

·
Registered
187 Posts
I’m clearly not an expert on this, but I would find it highly unlikely that it left the factory this way. I presume your vehicle was purchased new from the dealer (you haven’t told us which model you have or where you purchased it, or if was a new or used purchase). If purchased used, either it was damaged somehow and its absence was thought to be less noticeable than its damage, so it was purposefully removed. Or, someone worked on it and forgot to reinstall it when the work was completed.

·
Registered
16,232 Posts
I would imagine that somebody removed it along the way for some reason.

·
Registered
474 Posts
There was a cost reduction change regarding this part within the past few months. First it was only being left on for Korean market cars, but now it's only a feature on diesel cars. Nothing's missing, your vehicle just didn't make the cutoff for still having one

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
There was a cost reduction change regarding this part within the past few months. First it was only being left on for Korean market cars, but now it's only a feature on diesel cars. Nothing's missing, your vehicle just didn't make the cutoff for still having one
ouch, thanks for this insight. a lame move from Volvo then.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
31477294 if you still want one
thanks - i was looking at this too. do i need other mount/joint and such to place this or does this come with everything that's needed to install?

Also, I've seen some people that actually remove this pad for I suppose stronger engine sound, but some other people raised their concern over potential damage to the hood paint due to heat transfer by removing the pad... so I am a bit confused if this is something I should install or if I can ignore. I guess since Volvo decided to remove it they may have thought it was safe to do so but... this is my first car without this pad, feels kinda cheap.

·
Registered
474 Posts
I’m pretty sure it has all of its clips integrated. There’s a few oversized rectangular fixations that expand into the hood when snapped through. To me it seems like it was only there for NVH. Especially so now that it’s only left on Diesel cars. The dense foam of the engine cover should be enough on its own to protect the hood against engine heat and we already know it’s meant to do the bulk of pedestrian impact absorption.

·
Registered
1,595 Posts
If somebody wanted one that didn't have it. Junkyard would be the best choice. I bet you could get it for dang near free, and it isn't like a "used" underhood pad means anything.

·
Registered
187 Posts
There is something to be said for heat insulation. When I did a paint correction on my 2019 S60, there were quite a few "pock marks" in the hood from water spots/acid rain + engine heat. Viewed up close, the clear coat looks kinda like the surface of the moon with lots of tiny craters. They don't exist anywhere else on the car and I was able to polish out some, but not all of them. I'm wondering if these little craters would form more quickly or be more numerous without the pad?

·
Registered
342 Posts
It's missing from my 2022.5 S60 B5, too. I wonder if it makes the car a bit more silent with the pad?
It does!

I have a similar pad on the underside of the hood of my 88 BMW.
I initially removed the original when it was damaged by mice after a winter in storage. I since replaced it and marveled at how much quieter the car was with it installed.
FWIW, even my lowly 2016 Honda Fit has one...and with it's direct injection setup, it's noticeably much louder with the hood open.
I'd recommend getting one.

·
Registered
1,327 Posts
Decontenting. My 2022 XC60 doesn't have the pad. Earlier XC60s did, however.

·
Registered
9,929 Posts
@EricSan @Wayne T5 sorry guys. Purchased new from the Volvo dealer for 2022.5 S60 T8 Polestar Engineered ER.
Reach out to selling dealer and politely express your concern and see "what they can do" to help. Sometimes, especially with a recently purchased vehicle, a dealer might go out of its way to find a solution

1 - 17 of 17 Posts