1. @Wayne T5 answered this one on the 5 cylinders. I defer to his expertise. Oil Consumption 100% affected Drive-E's up til mid 2016. And being that 2016 had the 3G modem, just take a pass and save yourself the upgrade expense. In 2022, 3g is phased out and all cars will need a retrofit that don't have a 4G modem.Woah, lots of good info! I thought the oil consumption and piston ring issues only impacted the new 4 cylinder drive-e engines.
1. Are you saying that the old five-cylinder engines were impacted as well? I believe 2016 was the last year that the I5 was used in the S60 and am surprised it would have oil consumption issues in its final years.
2. Would 2017+ drive-e engines be more reliable in the long run than the old I5?
3. Since there is a TJ for the piston ring/oil consumption issue, wouldn't that be covered by the dealership for free? If yes, is that still a bad thing to worry about or is the 2017 engines without that issue would still be better overall?
Is the 4G LTE modem required to retrofit apple carplay? or just in car wifi because I don't think I would care for that. Retrofit apple carplay for $300 sounds awesome though.
I am not sure if it was 2017 or 2018 where the 4G LTE was added. You'll have to await someone's reply here. 2018 is 100%. Not sure if 2017 though.
2. Post 2016, the Drive-Es seem reliable. Piston ring issue (bad design) used holes which got clogged and then caused consumption issues. New Ring design (almost like a zigzag appearance) seem to rectify issue. Mid 2016 onward have new ring design.
I've had my fair share of problems corrected under Warranty / CPO with my Volvo. Consumption was the main and most expensive fix. Not sure any car these days with all the technology are "trouble free" out the door.
1. Backup Camera Replaced / Software Update - Camera wouldn't engage randomly. Took 4 attempts
2. Folder Mirror Motor Died Driver's Side - replaced
3. SRS Airbag Urgent - Software Update
4. Infotainment kept losing connectivity - Software Update
5. Gearshift Enamel Cracked - Known issue replaced
6. Rearview Mirror Clouded Over - replaced
7. TJ on Thermostat / ECM (hard code) - Replaced at same time as Piston Ring issue
8. Oil Consumption - TJ on it.
Those are off top of my head.
3. TJ (Technical Journals) are dealer guidance on how to deal with "known issues". If you're under warranty / cpo, these are generally covered. Although NEW EXTENDED CPO's (Service Contracts) prohibit repairs for consumption issues that haven't resulted in failure. New Volvo's haven't had consumption issues past 2016, but warranty companies added this exclusion for good measure. Piston Ring job is about $5k.
The standard 5 yr Unlimited CPO offered by Volvo at point of sale covers most items. Different than extended service contracts issued by Fidelity under Volvo Banner.
4. Android Auto / Apple Carplay rely upon your phone's connection. Completely separate than the 3g / 4g LTE issue i mentioned. So that $300 retrofit will solve your issue on Android Auto. You'll use existing screen, but won't have touch screen capabilities.
4G LTE issue (3g phase out) related to Volvo On Call (SOS) and the Volvo on Call APP. SOS services and ATT internet connection will no longer function after 3g phase out without an upgrade to the 4G modem.