SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

21 - 40 of 69 Posts

·
Registered
4,893 Posts
I agree it likely isn't a hood issue.

Before taking it anywhere, have them pop the hood and take some pictures for you.

·
Registered
2,034 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
If anybody worth their salt were fixing a minor repair, don't you agree that it would have been done properly and in perfect alignment? The hood looks to be perfectly aligned with the fenders and with small, consistent gaps, which is good. The gaps front fascia to headlights are inconsistent. This points to possible frontal damage, hopefully to the front fascia alone (price one with labor, paint and fitting!) However, a lot of damage can occur to a car beneath the surface. Can you be sure there is no damage under the car? Rentals are great off-road! Behind that fascia, you have the A/C condenser, the radiator and their fixing points, possibly electronic sensors too. Ask yourself, wouldn't the seller of a one year old mid-range car like this absolutely ensure it's perfectly put together if they economically could? I wouldn't even bother with an inspection. I'd pass on this and spend a little more for a car with no 'stories'. There are plenty of good cars out there.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
The 3rd party dealer is taking the vehicle to the body shop tomorrow for an inspection so I will provide you guys with an update as soon as I get any.

I agree with what you guys are saying. If the vehicle was involved in an accident of any kind and have had repairs done to it, I would most likely walk away from the deal because my wife is already on the fence about the denim blue color so this would for sure kill it.

But if there are no accident or body repairs detected and it really was just a hood latch/pin issue, I don't see any downside with correcting that and save several thousands because that is how much lower this vehicle is priced compared to others with comparable options (advanced package, HK audio, blond interior, heated front seats).

·
Registered
13,308 Posts
But if there are no accident or body repairs detected and it really was just a hood latch/pin issue, I don't see any downside with correcting that and save several thousands because that is how much lower this vehicle is priced compared to others with comparable options (advanced package, HK audio, blond interior, heated front seats).
I would be shocked if this were the case. The market is not perfectly efficient but efficient enough that there's a very good reason why this car is a deal. I get it, we're all looking for value but if all it needed was a clip or two someone would have done that already, just saying.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
On another subject, I really do not want 19 inch wheels because of the worse ride comfort and incompatibility with snow chains for the occasional need to go over passes for skiing. How big of a pain is it to purchase a car that comes with 19 inch wheel and then find someone to trade me their 18 inch wheels or get the dealership to swap it with another used car on the lot for me? Or is this silly and I should only look at vehicles that come with the 18 inch wheels in the first place? The reason I ask is about half of the vehicles I want comes with the upgraded wheels, although they do look good :)

·
Registered
2012 S60 T6 AWD
226 Posts
On another subject, I really do not want 19 inch wheels because of the worse ride comfort and incompatibility with snow chains for the occasional need to go over passes for skiing. How big of a pain is it to purchase a car that comes with 19 inch wheel and then find someone to trade me their 18 inch wheels or get the dealership to swap it with another used car on the lot for me? Or is this silly and I should only look at vehicles that come with the 18 inch wheels in the first place? The reason I ask is about half of the vehicles I want comes with the upgraded wheels, although they do look good :)
I doubt the dealer would allow you to swap with a car on the lot, but I'm sure a member here would be happy to. It may however make sense for you to purchase another set as your "snow set".

·
Registered
13,308 Posts
If the dealer had another similar S60 on the lot but with 18's I would imagine they'd swap them for you.

·
Registered
Volvo S60 T4 MY20
188 Posts
Drive the wheels before you swap. I am amazed how comfortable my 20" wheels with the sport chassis still is. More comfortable than 18" on my gen1 2009 S60.

But then again, I am driving on well maintained Dutch roads mainly.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #32 ·
Final update: I decided to pass on the vehicle after doing more research into the whole used rental topic. Ultimately I want to keep the vehicle long term and a rental without a CPO with a misaligned hood and warning light on the dash are just too many risks to take on for a remote purchase. I have until the summer to look for a vehicle so I’ll keep searching. Thank you everyone for your insight and advice, really appreciate it!

·
Registered
7,726 Posts
I am looking at a 1-year-old S60 in otherwise perfect condition except for this pretty significant gap in the front hood. I am looking to purchase the vehicle remotely. Should I pass on it? Not sure if this is something the local Volvo dealership can fix under warranty or is it going to cost me a new hood out of pocket. . .

Edit: Dealer is 3rd party dealer and the car fax shows it started as a rental vehicle for less than a year then sold in auction.

iCloud link to video: iCloud
Run don't walk. Carfax is a TOOL (same as Autocheck), not gospel. Accidents aren't reported more significantly than you think. Often, insurance companies don't report an accident and many bodyshops follow suit. CarFax bases a lot of their information off police reports. So if a Police Report wasn't filed, chances are there's no "accident history". Even if a report is filed, there have been cases where these reports are overlooked and show up down the road.

Long story short, that hood is a BIG RED FLAG. Clearly not something that got overlooked during production. Something happened between point of purchase and the current point of sale that isn't being disclosed.

When spending good money, it's better to be overly cautious than nonchalant. You know why rentals sell for much less? Because people abuse the hell out of them! Even with dealer Demo / Loaners (I bought a CPO Demo / Loaner from afar), you're still taking some chances. The hope of course is that another Volvo owner takes better care of the loaner than say a normal rental. Again, this may or may not be true. My car had bumper lip rash and a few minor cosmetic things at time of purchase. Used is still used. Some worse than others.

Reactions: Ultrarunner511

·
Registered
297 Posts
Never buy a rental. Rentals are trashed by people who rent them.
There's a common saying: A rental car is the fastest car most people will ever drive.

Reactions: Wayne T5

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #36 ·
Would you guys not even consider a CPO rental? At what mileage would it change your mind? 10k? 5k? 1k or less? lol

·
Registered
13,308 Posts
Would you guys not even consider a CPO rental? At what mileage would it change your mind? 10k? 5k? 1k or less? lol
For me, 1-5k miles may be okay, nothing more. CPO inspection may miss some things so be aware of that.

·
Registered
2012 S60 T6 AWD
226 Posts
CPO rentals are rare, and I'd avoid them still. There are just too many cars out there that have no rental history for me to buy instead. There are plenty of 1-year-old non-rental examples out there, and if you can't quite stomach the price, just wait 12 months and it'll probably be within your price range. For me, it's not so much the abuse that the car is subject to, as me not trusting the maintenance and repairs of the rental company. You really just have no idea what the car has gone through.

·
Registered
7,726 Posts
CPO rentals are rare, and I'd avoid them still. There are just too many cars out there that have no rental history for me to buy instead. There are plenty of 1-year-old non-rental examples out there, and if you can't quite stomach the price, just wait 12 months and it'll probably be within your price range. For me, it's not so much the abuse that the car is subject to, as me not trusting the maintenance and repairs of the rental company. You really just have no idea what the car has gone through.
Exactly. Rental car car fleets are not gently treated. And with Covid, many companies are in a financial crunch. Selling off large portions of their fleet to stay afloat. Which is why rental car prices are very high in some areas.

Add this up and you'll come to the conclusion that rental cars, especially now with tight funds, probably are not getting the royal treatment. On top of the list of negatives on why to avoid a rental in the first place.

Loaner / Demos tend to be "Dealer Rentals" given out to customers or driven by Dealership Staff. These tend to have at least a better maintenance history. Easily find these with 5000 miles or less floating around.

21 - 40 of 69 Posts