SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 20 of 69 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I am looking at a 1-year-old S60 in otherwise perfect condition except for this pretty significant gap in the front hood. I am looking to purchase the vehicle remotely. Should I pass on it? Not sure if this is something the local Volvo dealership can fix under warranty or is it going to cost me a new hood out of pocket. . .

Edit: Dealer is 3rd party dealer and the car fax shows it started as a rental vehicle for less than a year then sold in auction.

Update: I have decided to pass on the vehicle and keep searching, thanks everyone!

iCloud link to video: iCloud

·
Registered
2,447 Posts
That's wayyyyy out of alignment. I'd be concerned about an undisclosed accident. I don't believe for a second volvo would let that sell off the lot with that crazy of uneven gap, that happened after purchase

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That's wayyyyy out of alignment. I'd be concerned about an undisclosed accident. I don't believe for a second volvo would let that sell off the lot with that crazy of uneven gap, that happened after purchase
The price is really good and the carfax is clean. Rental vehicle for about 1 year with about 3 years of warranty left. I wonder if this is something Volvo dealership can easily fix or am I about to learn an expensive lesson lol

·
Registered
Volvo S60 T4 MY20
190 Posts
Can't you insist on them fixing it before you buy it?

Is that the only gap in the hood? I would think there should be another gap (or panels nearly touching) to make that fit?

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Oh man, the price is always good for a reason huh :( Can a PPI done by a Volvo dealership be able to detect whether or not this was involved in an accident? I am not sure if there is another gap on the hood.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I just called a certified Volvo body shop near the car's location and they recommend me to get the dealership to bring the car to them to an inspection or else it's not worth it because rental companies can fix all sort of things themselves and none of it will ever be reported to Carfax. That's what I'll do then. If the dealership doesn't agree to then I'll just sit this one out. Thanks, everyone! :)

·
Registered
78 Posts
I'd definitely not even consider purchasing that.
It's not the fact that it may have been involved in a front-end collision.
It's the simple fact that it wasn't repaired properly.
Something is out of alignment - whether that's the subframe or a mount or something -- 100%, I wouldn't spend anyone's money on that vehicle.

The funny part is - I came in here specifically to tell you that you were over-analyzing things and it was fine. Then when I saw it (having worked years as an ASE-Certified Technician, and in/around body shops) whoever repaired that thing did not repair it properly.

·
Registered
299 Posts
Hard pass

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Update: The used car dealer is willing to take the car to whatever Volvo certified body shop that I was talking to. I just have to pay for whatever the body shop charges to inspect the vehicle. I am hopeful that it might just be a minor issue for the hood and the deal is still alive.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Update: The used car dealer is willing to take the car to whatever Volvo certified body shop that I was talking to. I just have to pay for whatever the body shop charges to inspect the vehicle. I am hopeful that it might just be a minor issue for the hood and the deal is still alive.
OK - so let's say the body shop looks at it and says the hood just needs readjusted on its mount point.
Chances are it was in an accident right - so parts were replaced.
Do you really trust that person's "behind-the-scenes" work, underneath, with paint, etc - when they couldn't even mount a hood up properly?

I mean - you could buy the vehicle and it could be the best, maintenance-free vehicle you'll own for the next 200,000 miles. Or it could not -- it's all about stacking the odds in your favor.

·
Registered
2012 S60 T6 AWD
257 Posts
Given this car's rental past, I wouldn't touch it. As you said yourself, these companies can fix all types of stuff without it being reported on CarFax. That is a very significant gap, and to me looks worse than parking damage. This car was surely in a collision of some sort. It's cheap for a reason.

·
Registered
2,054 Posts
OK - so let's say the body shop looks at it and says the hood just needs readjusted on its mount point.
Chances are it was in an accident right - so parts were replaced.
Do you really trust that person's "behind-the-scenes" work, underneath, with paint, etc - when they couldn't even mount a hood up properly?

I mean - you could buy the vehicle and it could be the best, maintenance-free vehicle you'll own for the next 200,000 miles. Or it could not -- it's all about stacking the odds in your favor.
Looks like push clips and/or screws that hold the front clip on are missing or loose. If you’ve ever pulled a front clip on these cars to do any work you’d understand. It’s probably not the hood that is out of whack, but front clip itself.

Reactions: Thommykent and Tech

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Couldn't the Volvo-certified body shop be able to find out if the vehicle was involved in an accident and subsequently repaired or not? If their inspection is reliable and they do not detect any repairs or damage from an accident, wouldn't you move forward with the deal then? because the issue might just simply be some front hood clips like some of the commenters are saying?

·
Registered
13,327 Posts
We've seen a few post-repair SPA sedan and wagon pics on these threads where forever reason the body shop is not able to properly align that front cover with the hood. Don't ask me why it's so hard but if I were you I wouldn't even be paying for the inspection. The seller should do that on their own dime because no buyer would take the car in that condition.

·
Registered
2,054 Posts

·
Registered
1,805 Posts
FWIW, I had the hood on my car replaced. No "collision" per-se. Just some idiot in a 6x6 military style truck backed into me and his trailer hitch destroyed the hood and nothing else.
Had a new OEM hood put in and the gap between the hood and the nose was larger than before. It was uniform all across and all the other gaps were fine and the hood opened and closed perfectly. It was just strange how the gap was slightly bigger.

·
Registered
2,054 Posts

Reactions: Thommykent
1 - 20 of 69 Posts