SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The dealer quoted me $350 to install homelink in the S60.

I was wondering what was involved with installing homelink. Is the car prewired so all that needs to be done is swap the sunvisors? Does the dealer have to make any sofware changes to enable it?

·
Registered
18,762 Posts
Re: Homelink (Itgb)

I totally forgot I have this option, I think it came with my mayday/telematics. It didn't work with my German garage opener here though, they use different frequency range than the U.S. Thanks for reminding me.

·
Banned
3,517 Posts

Quote, originally posted by Itgb »
The dealer quoted me $350 to install homelink in the S60.

I was wondering what was involved with installing homelink. Is the car prewired so all that needs to be done is swap the sunvisors? Does the dealer have to make any sofware changes to enable it?

euh... all non fabric-options are all more expensiver installed afterwards...Volvo is not the only one...to install just wood afterwards in the bmw X5 you are +1700€ poorer afterwards
dunno what it costed as an option when ordering the car but must have been at least half of it... btw...that dude never called back to order it

·
Registered
63,543 Posts

The visor WHOLESALE is about $275 so I guess about $325 retail and a 1/2 hour labor (minimun charge) to install

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Re: Homelink (JRL)

Thanks JRL. I guess I will just deal with the remotes.

·
Registered
18,762 Posts

Quote, originally posted by Itgb »
Thanks JRL. I guess I will just deal with the remotes.

But these are cool. They even light up.

·
Registered
470 Posts
Re: Homelink ("R" Kelly)

Mr. Kelly,
is there ANYTHING you DON'T have a picture of concerning your R?

PS I need to see more pictures of your Jetex exhaust tips in relation to the back bumper. Directly from the rear, and profile. Please. Feel free to start another thread.

·
Registered
18,762 Posts
Re: Homelink (pino)

Quote, originally posted by pino »
Mr. Kelly,
is there ANYTHING you DON'T have a picture of concerning your R?

Nope... I have over 600 pictures loaded on Image Shack, all of them posted on swedespeed at some point.

And if I don't have one, I can go take a picture and have it posted in under 5 minutes. (as in the case of the homelink, wanted close up).

·
Registered
1,491 Posts
Homeling visors frequently show up on ebay, usually in pretty good condition. Maybe worth a look? Not sure about the wiring though. I would guess it just plugs in to existing?

·
Registered
1,800 Posts
Re: (rgrove)

Anyone know how to increase the range of the homelink? Idealy I would like ours to open the door far enough away so that at a slow roll I can go in without stopping. Right now it's about 20ft from the door....

·
Registered
18,762 Posts
Re: (vintagemilano)

Quote, originally posted by vintagemilano »
Anyone know how to increase the range of the homelink? Idealy I would like ours to open the door far enough away so that at a slow roll I can go in without stopping. Right now it's about 20ft from the door....

Someone pointed out to increase the range of the key fob, hold it perpendicular to your chin, may be a bit awkward with the visor, but probably doable if not highly entertaining for anyone watching.

·
Registered
21,340 Posts

It may actually be an issue with your opener. I just moved to a new house, and the homelink in both my cars doesn't work for crap...you have to be practically touching the garage door in order to get it to work.

The funny thing is, that I have them coded to my father's house and my grandparents house, and they work from a couple hundred feet away on both openers.

The garage door installer at my new place said that some brands / units just don't work that well with home link. The funny thing is that the unit in my father's is made by the same brand as mine....Lift Master, and mine is the cheaper Access Master model from the same company. Both are rolling code, as well.

Very strange, but proven to be true.

·
Registered
2005 V70R, Midnight Blue, M66
2,124 Posts

The HomeLink unit requires just +12v and ground. Both of these are already in the visor to power the mirror vanity lamps. They are on the same fuse/circuit in cars that are equipped with HomeLink from the factory. There is no software download required other than what you must do as a user when learning rolling codes.

In regard to extending the range, it might be easier to consider extending the range on the receiver, which is on the garage door unit. Make sure there is an antenna wire attached, it is not blocked by metal objects etc.

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Update

Just as an update, I contacted Erie Volvo since they had a few S70 visors on ebay and sure enough they also had the homelink visor for the S60. The install was really easy(plug & play) and my range is just as good as my garage door opener. The only drawback was that the sunvisor was not cloth like in my '05, but the textured vinyl like on the doors. By reading the molder mark on the plastic clip, it looked like this one was from an '01. So I'm assuming they changed somewhere along the line. So I ended up ordering a matching passenger sunvisor just for the sake of matching.

Oh and the best part...only $125. Not the $300 that the dealer was asking. http://********************/smile/emthup.gif

·
Registered
2,017 Posts

my range is improved when I pull the visor down slightly as I press the button...maybe it improves line-of-sight, I don't know, but it does make a difference

·
Registered
413 Posts
Re: (kenschel)

My homelink works from at least 100+ feet down the street. It probably depends on the sesitivity of the opener. I have the Genie Screw Drive. Very nice , quiet and opens in about 5 seconds.

-Ben

·
Registered
21,340 Posts
Re: (bcantana)

Quote, originally posted by bcantana »
My homelink works from at least 100+ feet down the street. It probably depends on the sesitivity of the opener. I have the Genie Screw Drive. Very nice , quiet and opens in about 5 seconds.

-Ben

No, it definitely depends. See my post above. I have a crappy low end builder spec opener and it works like crap with the homelink. On both my cars.

My relatives better models....way down the street.

·
Registered
3,344 Posts

My Homelink works from about 80 feet away in both cars. I have a pretty clear shot at it from the end of my driveway, which might make the difference and I do depress the button for a good second or so. When I am closer, it doesn't seem to require such a long push of the button to trip the opener. Do you have obstructions between your car and the garage when you are more than 20' away?

I wonder if the performance is affected by how close you are to the opener when you train the Homelink system - I doubt it would, but I find this to be the case when training my programmable infared TV remote. Different signal types, I know. When I trained my Homelink systems, I parked the cars directly under the openers. Might be worthwhile to try reprogramming to see if the performance changes.

- Tryg

·
Registered
21,340 Posts
Re: (RainyS60R)

Quote, originally posted by RainyS60R »
My Homelink works from about 80 feet away in both cars. I have a pretty clear shot at it from the end of my driveway, which might make the difference and I do depress the button for a good second or so. When I am closer, it doesn't seem to require such a long push of the button to trip the opener. Do you have obstructions between your car and the garage when you are more than 20' away?

I wonder if the performance is affected by how close you are to the opener when you train the Homelink system - I doubt it would, but I find this to be the case when training my programmable infared TV remote. Different signal types, I know. When I trained my Homelink systems, I parked the cars directly under the openers. Might be worthwhile to try reprogramming to see if the performance changes.

- Tryg

I have no obstructions and the ONLY way I could get the Homelink to train was in the garage. It would not train outside.

I spoke to the garage door installer and he told me that the lower end, buider spec model that I have has all kinds of problems with the homelinks. Who knows why, it has great range with the transmitter it came with. When I have the garage open for spring cleaning, I am going to splice on a longer antenna wire to see if that helps. I'm betting it will. I might also try running a tail of it outside of the garage and hiding it in the stonework on the front of the house, just to see if that helps as well.

·
Registered
1,659 Posts
Re: (needsdecaf)

With most wireless "training" it has to be done within a few feet of one another. Great example is when I trained my homelink outside of the garage the range was poor.(30 feet max) When I trained it right under the opener, the range is now almost 2 blocks. http://********************/smile/emthup.gif

1 - 20 of 20 Posts