SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
497 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I tried searching but can't find an answer to this....

I have an 05 S60 T5, my fiancee just got an 05 XC90. They both have homelink but I can't get both vehicles to be programmed with the homelink at the same time. I can program each car individually along with our regular remotes/keypads, but as soon as I add the second car all devices lose their connectivity.

Do Volvo's within the same model year use the same frequency or something? I thought I may have exceeded the total number of devices I can program but I can't even get just both cars to work. The alternative is to use a regular remote in one of the cars but I'd love to get both Homelinks to work at the same time.

Please help!!! :confused:

·
Registered
1,779 Posts
Homelink

We have three Volvos in a three car garage with only two doors. Each Volvo can open both doors. How are you programming. You should only be using the remote and the visor buttons. We learned that clearing out the visor settings a couple of times and then programming with remote is most efficient.

·
Registered
4,382 Posts
I had a similar problem trying to use two home link equipped cars on one garage door. I ended up having to program them both manually - using the button on the garage unit.

·
Registered
497 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I use the standard remote garage door opener to program both visors individually. When I press the "learn button" on the garage door opener and then press the homelink on the first car, everything works great. When I press "learn" and then press the homelink on the second car everything gets erased. Is it because they're the same model year?

·
Registered
1,779 Posts
Homelink

Pressing the learn button IS the problem because you are resetting the garage door remote each time you are doing it. What you are doing is wiping out the current setting in the garage door remote and then it re-learns it.

Try using the garage door remote in car #1, get it set in the homelink system. Then take the garage door remote to car #2 and set it (without pressing the learn button on the overhead unit). Then you will have the same garage door code in both cars.

You may want to clear out the homelink settings in each car first. Use the two outside buttons on the homelink tab to do this. You may have to do this multiple times first before trying to program.

Be really carefull with the learn button on the overhead unit. Several years ago we cleared all programming and at the same time our neighbor punched is garage door button and it took our code. Took a few days of garage doors being opened at odd times to figure it out.

·
Registered
497 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
comp1: We reset the homelinks in both vehicles before programming them. I'm able to program car #1, press learn, get homelink in car #1 to work. Then press learn, program my exterior keypad. Then press learn, program my standard garage door remote opener. I only get problems when adding car #2.

I will try pressing the learn button once but I think I have to hit learn for each device I program.

·
Registered
4,382 Posts
comp1: We reset the homelinks in both vehicles before programming them. I'm able to program car #1, press learn, get homelink in car #1 to work. Then press learn, program my exterior keypad. Then press learn, program my standard garage door remote opener. I only get problems when adding car #2.

I will try pressing the learn button once but I think I have to hit learn for each device I program.
I only programmed the two cars (didn't reset the hand held opener or the exterior pad). Maybe the number of devices (4) is the problem?

What if you program the two cars and the pad only? if that works, then the limit might be 3.

·
Registered
497 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I only programmed the two cars (didn't reset the hand held opener or the exterior pad). Maybe the number of devices (4) is the problem?

What if you program the two cars and the pad only? if that works, then the limit might be 3.
I used to have 1 car, a keypad, and 2 remotes programmed (1 remote was left in the car we got rid of, oops). There seems to be an issue with having 2 cars. I can't even program 2 cars with no devices. The owners manual for the garage door opener mentions nothing about limits.

·
Registered
1,779 Posts
Homelink

You may want to google the Homelinks website for instructions. I may not be conveying information correctly.

The learn button on your overhead unit re-sets the rolling code to all of your garage door remotes. If you connect a car to that remote (and it works the garage door) then you press the learn button in preparation for the second car you will automatically cancel the code for the first car. You cannot press the learn button in mid stream.

If you must press the learn button do it on the front end and sinc your garage door remote with it. If you do this check to see if all of your garage door remotes work. If they do then all of your remotes have the new code and should be used to connect with home link.

Then take the remote to car 1 and connect it to the home link button of your choice, then take the same remote to car 2 and and do the same thing. That should work. You do not have to press the re-learn button again.

What has always worked for us is to wipe out the existing settings on the homelink visor (a couple of times) then connecting garage door remotes to the cars. Sometimes it has taken a couple of attempts but always works.

·
Registered
621 Posts
homelink /rolling code / multiple cars

i have two garage doors, both rolling codes and currently have 6 cars and 3 handheld remotes programmed to them. what you need to do is reset all of the homelink in the cars (holding down left and right buttons simultaneously until the light starts to flash). then release the buttons, homelink is now cleared. program the homelink button you wish to use to the handheld remote that came with the garage door until the light flashes. then press the learn button on the garage door opener unit and within 30 second press the homelink button that you just programmed in the car. repeat these same steps to car number two (clear codes, program homelink to handeld remote, program homelink to learn button on garage door opener). i've noticed when you have too many cars/devices programmed...sometimes the already programmed homelinks might stop working. instead of having to start all over, you just need to relearn the garage door opener unit with the homelink, no need to reprogram with the handheld remote anymore. this is how i've always programmed homelink since who knows when....

GL! PM me if you have questions.....

·
Registered
497 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
So does anyone know if you can program two Volvo's from the same model year with a single garage door unit? The frequencies seem to be overwriting each other

·
Registered
739 Posts
I can only get one of our cars to work at a time... last year it was either the Volvo or the VW... now it's the Volvo or the Audi... so one car just keeps the remote. I got frustrated and gave up after about an hour on each occasion.

·
Registered
621 Posts
oh strange, i at one point had an 05 s60, 06 s60R and 07 s40 all working with my garage door

·
Registered
621 Posts
try this....this happened to me twice. we currently have 6 cars, a wireless keypad and two remotes controlling both my garage doors. when programming new cars, some homelinks stopped working on the other cars already programmed. since the homelinks have already learned the remote signal, you just need to update them with the proper rolling code.

if homelink used to work and stop after programming additional car, try resyncing homelink by pressing the learn button on the garage door opening device followed by the respective homelink button in your car within 30 secs

I currently have 9 'devices' controlling two doors with no problems at all

·
Registered
1,953 Posts
We have an '06 XC90 and an '07 S60 both with Homelink. When the S60 came home and we tried to connect the Homelink it did erase the "memory" on the XC90. We ended up setting 1 vehicle with the #1 and the other with the #2 button on the Homelink and have had no issues with it. That being said, if I needed the other buttons this could be a problem, but for us it works.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.