SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello! New member and owner of a 2016 XC90 Momentum Plus. I noticed that when I exit and lock the car, the exterior lights turn off right away. After messing with the settings, I found the "Home Safety Lights" feature. I'm assuming this is the feature I'm looking for so it doesn't get pitch black outside when I lock the car. It's set to 30 seconds but my lights still turn off as soon as I lock the car. Does anyone know how to set it so that they stay on for 30-60 seconds after locking the car?

Thanks!
Denny

·
Registered
295 Posts
You probably have never activated the Home Safety. Per the manual:

1) Turn off the ignition
2) Push the turn signal lever as far as possible towards the dashboard and release
3) Exit and lock doors

This should activate the lights and correspond with whatever interval you've set in the settings.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Do I need to do that every time I exit the car or is it a one time deal?

·
Super Moderator
39,263 Posts
You probably have never activated the Home Safety. Per the manual:

1) Turn off the ignition
2) Push the turn signal lever as far as possible towards the dashboard and release
3) Exit and lock doors

This should activate the lights and correspond with whatever interval you've set in the settings.
Push toward the dashboard? I thought it was pulling toward you, like when you activate the high beams.

·
Registered
917 Posts
Do the Swedes have some fetish with lights and light switches? Why would the system require you to do that every time you exit the car? I'll never understand some of the implementation Volvo uses. 3 position light switches with unchanged functionality in each position, memory seats/keys that have no memory...geez.

Every time as far as I know.

·
Registered
295 Posts
Push toward the dashboard? I thought it was pulling toward you, like when you activate the high beams.
Yep, it's straight from the manual. Activating high beams is also pushing towards the dash. Pulling the lever is only for briefly flashing the car in front of you.

Really? That is ridiculous.
Do the Swedes have some fetish with lights and light switches? Why would the system require you to do that every time you exit the car? I'll never understand some of the implementation Volvo uses. 3 position light switches with unchanged functionality in each position, memory seats/keys that have no memory...geez.
I imagine it's because there might be cases where you don't always want a halo of light surrounding the car. I don't think it's that big of a deal. It's just one very small additional move you have to do from your normal routine.

·
Registered
826 Posts
If someone takes the time to go in the settings and set it up. Theirs a good change they want it all the time without having to do anything.

I would of been very easy to implement choices for the customer instead of having the option yet having you to manually force it. Otherwise just don't bother at all. If they think this is not something useful then one can just put on the lights manually when the cars off then turn them off when done. But no this is not what they done. So if your going to implement an option its all or nothing I say.

·
Registered
543 Posts
I would think it's a one time activation. Would someone please give it a try and let us know.

Thank you

·
Super Moderator
39,263 Posts
Yep, it's straight from the manual. Activating high beams is also pushing towards the dash. Pulling the lever is only for briefly flashing the car in front of you.
You are correct. The XC90's high beam activation mechanism is different than with the other Volvos.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I would think it's a one time activation. Would someone please give it a try and let us know.

Thank you
I gave it a try last night and it appears that it must be manually activated every time. I really wish it was a one time deal, especially since they have the settings in the menu that allow you to disable it or adjust the amount of time the lights stay on.

·
Registered
543 Posts
I gave it a try last night and it appears that it must be manually activated every time. I really wish it was a one time deal, especially since they have the settings in the menu that allow you to disable it or adjust the amount of time the lights stay on.
This is pointless then! Someone needs to pass this on to Volvo to have it corrected with the software update.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
295 Posts
Guess I'm the odd-man out then. Tapping a lever is as quick, painless, and natural as opening the door to go out. To each their own.

·
Registered
4,289 Posts
Guess I'm the odd-man out then. Tapping a lever is as quick, painless, and natural as opening the door to go out. To each their own.
What if you don't need this step at all. Even quicker, painless and less human memory needed. :)

And pressing keyfob lock button again should be able to shut off all the lights.

·
Super Moderator
39,263 Posts
This is pointless then! Someone needs to pass this on to Volvo to have it corrected with the software update.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Why is it pointless? There is no sense of leaving the headlights on all the time for 30 or 60 or 90 seconds if not needed plus it could be inconvenient in certain cases when the lights could be pointing at an area where they could disturb.

You need the lights on, to light a path (which happens rarely)? You have this feature available...

·
Registered
4,289 Posts
I guess OP want it on every night going home, parked outside and lighten up the walkway to front door. In such case having to toggle it every night is tiresome.

In fact, if you need it occasionally, using turning level is fine but then you should not have to enable it in settings explicitly. If people explicitly enabled it in settings, it is better to not require the turning level tapping.

It is about the preferred way to use the feature, not just whether the feature is made possible at all.

·
Registered
543 Posts
Why is it pointless? There is no sense of leaving the headlights on all the time for 30 or 60 or 90 seconds if not needed plus it could be inconvenient in certain cases when the lights could be pointing at an area where they could disturb.

You need the lights on, to light a path (which happens rarely)? You have this feature available...
To each his own. They can add a manual/auto option in the menu and leave for owners to decide. As you can see the jury is split on this one.
Although admittedly, it's really one step and that is to push the lever forward before exiting the car. The manual makes it seem more complicated.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

1 - 19 of 19 Posts