SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
2,418 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, we made one before without any way to tell if it fit.. Just sorta eyeballed it.. And failed.

So, we cut it all apart, and made one in pretty much exactly the same shape as the OBX downpipe, and well, here it is before polishing...

Used the flange from a stock DP, so it can be used with the heat shield, and 304 stainless for the rest. It's pretty ugly, but it's the first one, and we had to cut it and re-do it a few times to get fitment right. Otherwise, it's a perfectly functional 304 stainless 3" downpipe!

This one is going on Sihk.R's car, for now

·
Registered
1,822 Posts
Nice work but where's the kitteh?

·
Registered
2,418 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
lolwut

·
Registered
1,752 Posts
I ceramic coated some of the most ugly home made **** down pipes and they all they all look the same with ceramic on them. I can show you where to find the stuff to do it then let it air dry, then put it on the car to cure it.

That is if you don't know which you probably do. All you need is a $40 HF hvlp gun and dry air.

·
Registered
176 Posts
Welding looks like bird sh*t

·
Registered
176 Posts
Try using a Tig instead of a Mig, Better results on Stainless.

·
Registered
2,418 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Try using a Tig instead of a Mig, Better results on Stainless.
If I had a TIG welder I would, but I'm stuck with MIG. Either way, they look like **** because we cut the welds 3 times each almost, so it's alot of buildup since we got lazy and didn't want to grind it all away. It's functional, not pretty.

I'm going to grind them down a big and polish the whole pipe, and I might give it a ceramic coating too.

·
Registered
125 Posts
I have to give you mad props! people talk **** about the welds but least you had the creativity to make it yourself and not just buy it off the shelf

·
Registered
4,790 Posts
wow...if your time isn't worth more than $150, something is wrong in your life. The obx is far superior to whatever hangover induced pile of welds that is.

Sent from my Military Air Portable
Way to be a complete dick. You know, instead of taping off your car and plastidipping your molding, you could have bought painted trim or paid someone to paint it. What, isn't your time worth it? Guess there must be something wrong with your life.

·
Registered
4,001 Posts
Way to be a complete dick.
+1

You'll never going to get good unless you try/practice. Props for taking the time to do something yourself. damn people are picky on here sometimes. I guess thats why we love our cars though, we analyze everything about it. Besides, it's not like he's glueing on wings, adding speed holes, or blinging out his ride to look like crap. I'm sure the next time he rolls up next to a fellow enthusiast the person will roll down his window and let him know the welds on his dp look like ****. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
4,007 Posts
+1

You'll never going to get good unless you try/practice. Props for taking the time to do something yourself. damn people are picky on here sometimes. I guess thats why we love our cars though, we analyze everything about it. Besides, it's not like he's glueing on wings, adding speed holes, or blinging out his ride to look like crap. I'm sure the next time he rolls up next to a fellow enthusiast the person will roll down his window and let him know the welds on his dp look like ****. :rolleyes:
+1 and no one is gonna go look underneath anyways

Sent from my iPhone4S using Tapatalk while on the toilet.

·
Registered
545 Posts
Not bad for a first try from a amateur welder.

I'm building the same thing. But with a cat. I have 3" piping all ready with a magna flow high flow cat. Good to see I'm not the only one attempting this at home lol

·
Registered
2,651 Posts
Sorry Photo, I gotta back up Prienzo on this. I have a buddy who makes well into the 6 figures as a commercial captain, and yet, he just started paying a retired BOCES instructor 50/hr to teach him to weld so he could do all his own welding on his Mustang Restoration. Now, it will take him much longer to do it all himself than it would take him to earn the money to pay someone else to do it, BUT he will have the satisfaction of knowing his own skills produced something valuable to him.

Also, you're forgetting about the part where the OP said "we", which means it was as much a social activity as it was a cost-saving one. Any time you can combine a few buddies, a few beers, high voltage and molten steel, all in one place, you're winning in my book.

Props to the OP for still knowing what it means to be a MAN.

·
Registered
1,080 Posts
Sorry Photo, I gotta back up Prienzo on this. I have a buddy who makes well into the 6 figures as a commercial captain, and yet, he just started paying a retired BOCES instructor 50/hr to teach him to weld so he could do all his own welding on his Mustang Restoration. Now, it will take him much longer to do it all himself than it would take him to earn the money to pay someone else to do it, BUT he will have the satisfaction of knowing his own skills produced something valuable to him.

Also, you're forgetting about the part where the OP said "we", which means it was as much a social activity as it was a cost-saving one. Any time you can combine a few buddies, a few beers, high voltage and molten steel, all in one place, you're winning in my book.

+1

It's all about the satisfaction of doing or creating something yourself.

He is winning for sure.

Still not sure about Charlie though...

·
Registered
1,396 Posts

+1+

Seriously, going out in the shop with your buddies and doing something like this is one of the best ways to know you are still living. Way too much fun, and amazing all the things you learn in the doing.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.