SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
2,418 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
this is so FCUKING STUPID

I'm putting in a new rack and pinion in the V70, and everything is done EXCEPT getting the steering gear/collar thing back onto the steering shaft that comes out of the rack.

I have done this before, and this just will NOT go on, I've tried prying it open (since one side is an open side) and I've sprayed it with white lithium to lube it up, and it just still refuses to go on. It appears at this point that I'm going to have to grind it down to make it fit.. This is just ridiculous.

There is no possible way to get a heavy enough hammer or like object into the small space to hammer it on.

The shafts are exactly the same size (checked with micrometer)

WTF

HELP

·
Registered
2,418 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Very helpful

·
Registered
1,959 Posts
Chill...don't you know, this is Swedespeed, people don't do labor intensive work like this on their cars ;)

/sarcasm

On a related note, what year/model V70, maybe I can provide you with some help from VADIS.
He's grinding away as we speak :p

·
Registered
1,761 Posts
Don't grind it and don't hit it with a hammer, go back to it later. Your frustrated and angry, go at it with a new perspective tomorrow. Been there, done that.

·
Registered
1,028 Posts

·
Registered
1,491 Posts
Ive not done this, so forgive the ignorance if my comment doesnt apply. Is it splined? If so, are the splines keyed (ie 1 spline larger than tne others to ensure proper orientation)?

·
Registered
2,418 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
I'm not a noob by any means. I work on cars basically for a living. I was frustrated, but that doesnt stop me from doing proper work.. I've done this same job twice and it wasn't a problem.. I can't get it to open enough, so I just grinded away the slightest bit until it was snug, and didnt require a hammer. The bolt clamps it down anyway, so losing a bit of skin won't ruin its functionality.

If it ain't broke, grind away lol

Also, its not splined. Just a bitch

·
Registered
2,418 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Chill...don't you know, this is Swedespeed, people don't do labor intensive work like this on their cars ;)

/sarcasm

On a related note, what year/model V70, maybe I can provide you with some help from VADIS.
I have vadis, thanks though. It's of no help for stupid stuff like that, I just had to drive 10 miles to get my dremel

·
Registered
1,033 Posts
Ive not done this, so forgive the ignorance if my comment doesnt apply. Is it splined? If so, are the splines keyed (ie 1 spline larger than tne others to ensure proper orientation)?
This! Make sure that all the splines are the same size. If it won't slide in, then the splines aren't lining up properly. You could have an offset spline like in a bicycle cassette for example

·
Registered
2,418 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
This! Make sure that all the splines are the same size. If it won't slide in, then the splines aren't lining up properly. You could have an offset spline like in a bicycle cassette for example

You're late to the party. Also, again, no spines.

·
Registered
1,075 Posts
drbrutal,

only guys that have done a rack on any of the newer 01+ volvos will understand your pain. I sir understand your pain. You are at 98% done and just cant get that 2" back in. I had to walk away after 1 hour fussing with it. i sait down and have a cold iced tea for 20 minutes and it went in 5 minutes after that. or in your case make a holy wtf thread LOL

·
Registered
919 Posts
This was infuriating for me too. I used a ratchet strap to force the two together. Worked beautifully.

·
Registered
2,418 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
drbrutal,

only guys that have done a rack on any of the newer 01+ volvos will understand your pain. I sir understand your pain. You are at 98% done and just cant get that 2" back in. I had to walk away after 1 hour fussing with it. i sait down and have a cold iced tea for 20 minutes and it went in 5 minutes after that. or in your case make a holy wtf thread LOL
Grinding it did the trick.. I didn't feel like fussing with other crap, grinding was a for sure way to make it work. I had to grind quite a bit actually, which made me WTF?

Next problem.. - The steering rack is identical (except the outer tie rods were different, it's from Erie VOVO) the inner tie rods and entire shaft is exactly the same, however there is now no room to align the car properly... The passenger side inner tie rod is ALL they way into the outer, and it still needs to be adjusted to toe OUT..

I'm just eyeballing the alignment... but it's just not coming out right... It drives straight and doesn't pull, but it screeches tire every time I make a turn (mostly at low speeds) it's very annoying.... Is the toe supposed to be in more? Maybe I'll just drop the 80$....

·
Registered
919 Posts
So it sounds like the new steering rack you installed might not have been left in a centered position before you installed it. Meaning you might have connected the wheel to the knuckle when it was already half or a full turn one way or the other...

·
Registered
2,418 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
So it sounds like the new steering rack you installed might not have been left in a centered position before you installed it. Meaning you might have connected the wheel to the knuckle when it was already half or a full turn one way or the other...
I double and triple checked. It's in the correct position.

·
Registered
1,075 Posts
did i read somewhere that a sum recaibration is needed after alaignment or something of that nature to center the steering wheel ?

·
Registered
919 Posts
did i read somewhere that a sum recaibration is needed after alaignment or something of that nature to center the steering wheel ?
Nah, I did this job very recently, SUM cal is only suspension, with a secondary purpose of adjusting the headlights, nothing else really. When I had it done the cal sheet just showed the readouts of the various solenoids & accelerometers in the system, nothing about steering rack.

·
Registered
201 Posts
Been there done this.. Have someone sit in the car and wiggle the wheel a couple degrees back and fourth slowly or quickly while you aggressively try to slide it on.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.