SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
XC70 2.5T, V50T5 AWD M6
514 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been sort-of noticing a gradual degradation in power output of my XC. Nothing dramatic, just a nagging feeling that it doesn't run like it used to. Last week it started sputtering, on a trip some 400 miles from home and forced me to limp home at 70-ish mph. It just wouldn't go faster.

Replaced spark plugs and VIDA'd it. A plethora of error codes, some stored, some active. Most of them related to lean/rich problem, so I checked the hoses. What a surprise, the IC inlet hose had an INCH-LONG SPLIT in it. Remedied it by self-vulcanizing tape, reinforced with strips of Gorilla tape and took it for a test drive.

As I'm running FWD with the angle gear removed, my front tires are now toast. No traction whatsoever below 85mph or so. It's a tire-burner plus, the power is back.

The split obviously started several months ago and got worse until it leaked more than the ECU could compensate. I really couldn't imagine there was something this seriously wrong with the car and had it not split more, I'd driven it indefinitely and been just annoyed for the lack of power. I'll order a complete silicone hose kit shortly and replace all rubber hoses from MAF to turbo to IC to throttle body. Just to make sure it won't happen again elsewhere.

So, gentlemen, check your pressure hoses every now and then. Especially if you feel your car isn't quite as powerful as it should be. You may be in for a surprise. These cars are getting old and rubber exposed to heat, pressure and oil has a limited lifespan.

·
Registered
1,169 Posts
Check your rear H2OS every so often, it will tell you if the intake has a leak.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts