SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
483 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just finished pics to come tomorrow but used Sonus Detailing Clay on my car.. wow.. what a difference!! Me Likey.

·
Registered
11,628 Posts
Re: (SHOlover)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD><i>Quote, originally posted by <b>SHOlover</b> »</i></TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Clay bar = finish as smooth as a baby's butt.</TD></TR></TABLE><p>Or, as smooth as a babies butt with baby oil.

·
Registered
1,528 Posts
Does liquid clay bar work the same? I thought it is suggested that you do a wax after a claybar to recover the layer of clearcoat..

·
Registered
415 Posts
Liquid clay bar sounds like snake oil to me. But I have no first-hand experience with that. I've only seen it on shelves...and walked right by it. <p>The clay BAR itself is a physical SOLID, and works very well based on that property. You need to buy detailing spray...but many kits come with the spray anyway. The solid bar is tried and true. I love it! The only 2 caveats:<p>1. It takes time! (but worth it)<br>2. You CANNOT drop the clay bar on the ground. If you do, you toss it (just like what you should be doing with drying towels already)<p>You can never really "recover" clearcoat (without repainting). You can just lift up particulate that is embedded in the finish, and then you can polish the finish.

·
Registered
533 Posts
Re: (SHOlover)

yep, sho is correct. clay bar removes the particles that are embedded in the clearcoat. When the surface is clayed, it leaves little microscopic dimples or breaks in the clearcoat left by the particles. then you work your way down with different cut compounds(heaviest to lightest) till you have a fresh layer of clearcoat with no scratches. then you wax over that. the only way to recover clearcoat is to spray another layer of clearcoat on the paint... but becareful because too much clear coat will eventually orange peel

·
Registered
1,528 Posts
So how many times are you able to claybar the car then before there is no more clear coat? What wax do you reccomend after claybaring?

·
Registered
3,582 Posts
Re: (Vash13)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD><i>Quote, originally posted by <b>Vash13</b> »</i></TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Does liquid clay bar work the same? I thought it is suggested that you do a wax after a claybar to recover the layer of clearcoat..</TD></TR></TABLE><p>The liquid stuff is garbage. Go for the real stuff.

·
Registered
1,480 Posts
Another clay bar supporter. +1<p>BTW, orange peel is not a result of thinning the clear coat. It is caused by a non smooth finish. Orange peel can usually be corrected with wet sanding.

·
Registered
63,543 Posts
Re: (PhilUp)

Turtle Wax Ice liquid clay bar is NOT!<br>I sent it back to the company for a refund, the stuff is GARBAGE......<p>A real clay bar will remove overspray, but no matter how much I rubbed with the Turtle Wax Ice Clay Bar <B>crap</B>, nothing came off!

·
Registered
154 Posts

"So how many times are you able to claybar the car then before there is no more clear coat? What wax do you reccomend after claybaring?"<p>usually a good carnauba wax works well. I use one specifically for black cars on mine. <A HREF="http://www.topoftheline.com/black-wax-carnauba.html" TARGET="_blank">http://www.topoftheline.com/bl....html</A><p>P21S is good stuff too. check out <A HREF="http://autogeek.net/carnauba-wax.html" TARGET="_blank">http://autogeek.net/carnauba-wax.html</A> Autogeek is a great site to get stuff.<BR><BR>
<i>Modified by Oz60R at 6:43 AM 5-25-2009</i>

·
Registered
146 Posts
Re: (JRL)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD><i>Quote, originally posted by <b>JRL</b> »</i></TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Turtle Wax Ice liquid clay bar is NOT!<br>I sent it back to the company for a refund, the stuff is GARBAGE......<p>A real clay bar will remove overspray, but no matter how much I rubbed with the Turtle Wax Ice Clay Bar <B>crap</B>, nothing came off!</TD></TR></TABLE><p>Did the good people at Turtle Wax actually give you a refund? That seems like one of those things that they'd give you a hard time about... I'd assume that they had a pretty good understanding about how well their product worked before they put it on the shelves.

·
Registered
1,714 Posts
Re: (Oz60R)

P21S is good stuff, but it serves a totally different purpose than a clay bar.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Re: (I Roll)

Sorry i forgot to quote from up above. Vash13 asked about what a good wax for after claybaring was.<BR><BR>
<i>Modified by Oz60R at 7:17 AM 5-25-2009</i>

·
Registered
57 Posts
I use Griots, its over priced but it works never been disappointed <p><A HREF="http://www.griotsgarage.com" TARGET="_blank">http://www.griotsgarage.com</A>/<br>

·
Registered
3,306 Posts

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD><i>Quote, originally posted by <b>Vash13</b> »</i></TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">So how many times are you able to claybar the car then before there is no more clear coat? What wax do you reccomend after claybaring?</TD></TR></TABLE><p>well, there are differnet grades of clay, for example Clay Magic makes a more aggressive clay, and a fine clay.<p>if you use fine clay, you can safely clay your car as much as necessary, it is non abrasive as long as you use a quality lubricant.<p>Re: wax. There are probably at least one hundred waxes you could use and you would be satisfied with, so just try one after another till you find one you like.<p>I like the way poorboy's carnuba worked with my Tit gray, but i switched to using collinite 476s because my car is not garaged, and i am not a fan of re waxing my car once a month.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Re: (Impulse922)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD><i>Quote, originally posted by <b>Impulse922</b> »</i></TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote"><br>I like the way poorboy's carnuba worked with my Tit gray, but i switched to using collinite 476s because my car is not garaged, and i am not a fan of re waxing my car once a month.</TD></TR></TABLE><p>Why not put down a coat of sealant before wax too? that will help with not having to wax as much.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts