SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I am planning to install hitch for my 2018 XC60 and looking for recommendations.

1. Is there any advantage of going with OEM hitch compared to third-party hitches like Draw-tite?
2. I see some posts and videos for DIY. I am fairly handy when it comes to cars but I am apprehensive with my XC60 as it's still new and don't want to scratch the bumper or break something. Having said that, how easy is it to DIY?
3. Does DIY impact warranty in any way?
4. Although I will be using it initially only for a bike rack, I might use it to tow a trailer at some point in the future. Is it better to get the electrical connections setup while installing the hitch?
5. Does the hitch installation interfere with hands-free tailgate operation?

Appreciate any feedback.

·
Registered
442 Posts
I am planning to install hitch for my 2018 XC60 and looking for recommendations.

1. Is there any advantage of going with OEM hitch compared to third-party hitches like Draw-tite?
2. I see some posts and videos for DIY. I am fairly handy when it comes to cars but I am apprehensive with my XC60 as it's still new and don't want to scratch the bumper or break something. Having said that, how easy is it to DIY?
3. Does DIY impact warranty in any way?
4. Although I will be using it initially only for a bike rack, I might use it to tow a trailer at some point in the future. Is it better to get the electrical connections setup while installing the hitch?
5. Does the hitch installation interfere with hands-free tailgate operation?

Appreciate any feedback.

I thought it was easy but I spent a lot of time thinking about it and researching before I started. It took about 3 hours, the bulk of which was cutting the plastic for the OEM bumper. Installing the electrical parts also involves a trip to the dealer. Leaving the "hole" where the electrical connection goes bothers me a little :shrug: I don't intend to put anything other than bikes on mine so didn't install the electrics. I also didn't relocate the sensor but yet foot operation still works.

I will say that the liftgate opens and closes without kicking a foot under it- this was no change from before the hitch was installed.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi all-

I had an OEM hitch installed by my local dealer. Is there a reason why the bumper now has a large visible cutout? When the hitch swings out, it doesn't seem like it would have been obstructed by this part of the bumper remaining intact. Is this an incorrect install by the dealer? This cutout doesn't exist in the official Volvo video for the hitch. I understand they need to cut the area underneath to do the install, but why is this visible cutout here? Anyone else have a 2018 XC60 or later model with dealer installed OEM hitch? If so, can you confirm if yours is like this?

·
Registered
874 Posts
Hi all-

I had an OEM hitch installed by my local dealer. Is there a reason why the bumper now has a large visible cutout? When the hitch swings out, it doesn't seem like it would have been obstructed by this part of the bumper remaining intact. Is this an incorrect install by the dealer? This cutout doesn't exist in the official Volvo video for the hitch. I understand they need to cut the area underneath to do the install, but why is this visible cutout here? Anyone else have a 2018 XC60 or later model with dealer installed OEM hitch? If so, can you confirm if yours is like this?
The instructions do call for cutting the bumper. You could argue they should cut conservatively and adjust, as necessary, but it appears your dealer did the opposite. If it bothers you, then you'd need to bring that concern up with them.

I did my hitch install myself, partially to save money, but also so that I could take my time and do it right. There are some great dealer techs out there, but there are far too many bad ones, imo. They get paid per-job, so they rush jobs to increase their earnings. No one will be more careful with your stuff than you will.

·
Registered
2021 XC60 T8/Recharge
301 Posts
You need to cut the bumper but you don't need to cut it up that high, the way they did. The instructions call for a cut on the part that faces down toward the ground, not out toward the back. I got the retractable OEM install a few weeks ago and mine does not look like that... I would take it up with them.

To OP, afaik your options are:
  • The older OEM hitch that is not retractable. It's hard to find because it isn't manufactured anymore and lots of people called around for them. It's a standard Class 3, 2" fit.
  • The newer OEM hitch that is retractable. You can get a decent discount by buying parts online yourself with a coupon code and then finding a dealer nearby to do the install. I was initially quoted >$2k for parts+install and ended up ~900 all-in after some calling around and ordering parts. This hitch is Class 2, not Class 3 which is 1.25" not 2". This isn't a big deal from a weight perspective (Class 2 is rated for 3500lb, the car is rated for 3500lb) but 1.25" drop/rise adapters are less plentiful than 2" and it's less standard, making accessories harder to find.
  • An aftermarket such as DrawTite, StealthHitch or UHaul. Search the site, lots of opinions on one vs the other vs DIY vs pro install.

·
Registered
2 Posts
You need to cut the bumper but you don't need to cut it up that high, the way they did. The instructions call for a cut on the part that faces down toward the ground, not out toward the back. I got the retractable OEM install a few weeks ago and mine does not look like that... I would take it up with them.

To OP, afaik your options are:
  • The older OEM hitch that is not retractable. It's hard to find because it isn't manufactured anymore and lots of people called around for them. It's a standard Class 3, 2" fit.
  • The newer OEM hitch that is retractable. You can get a decent discount by buying parts online yourself with a coupon code and then finding a dealer nearby to do the install. I was initially quoted >$2k for parts+install and ended up ~900 all-in after some calling around and ordering parts. This hitch is Class 2, not Class 3 which is 1.25" not 2". This isn't a big deal from a weight perspective (Class 2 is rated for 3500lb, the car is rated for 3500lb) but 1.25" drop/rise adapters are less plentiful than 2" and it's less standard, making accessories harder to find.
  • An aftermarket such as DrawTite, StealthHitch or UHaul. Search the site, lots of opinions on one vs the other vs DIY vs pro install.
Thanks for the info and for confirming what I thought. If you don’t mind, could you take a picture of how yours looks. I will call the dealer tomorrow, but it would be good to have an example of what it looks like on someone else’s car.

·
Registered
2021 XC60 T8/Recharge
301 Posts
Sorry for the mess, she gets beat up pretty good. You can see they trim the bumper but under, not over...

1 - 10 of 10 Posts