SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2019 V90 T6 Inscription Polestar
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was wondering about the feasibility of having a hitch installed on my yet to be delivered V90. I have a 2000lb 16' Fish / Ski boat that I use a few times a year. I was wondering if this is a good idea and what options there are. What may be the pitfalls? Engine / transmission strain?

Thank you.

·
Registered
552 Posts
Search is your friend

Sent from my motorola razr (2020) using Tapatalk

Reactions: greatspirit

·
Registered
946 Posts
You can buy OEM hidden or aftermarket stealth or a standard through the bumper one.

There is a software update to have the line when backing up ans fix the light errors.

A few threads below...

Reactions: greatspirit

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
You can buy OEM hidden or aftermarket stealth or a standard through the bumper one.

There is a software update to have the line when backing up ans fix the light errors.

A few threads below...
Thanks. I have read everything I could but was unclear about whether the non CC V90 was any different. I had thought I saw mentioned that the non CC V90 didn't have the OEM as an option.

How about actual use... no ill effects on the drive train?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Shouldn’t be a problem at all. 2000lb is well within any tow tolerances. A lack of option for an volvo installed hitch will simply be an American market idiosyncrasy

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I called one dealer locally here and they said no to both OEM and Stealth hitched for a straight 2019 V90. He may have been uninformed as these are rare cars. Does anyone have a hitch here on a non CC V90?

·
Registered
128 Posts
Thanks. I have read everything I could but was unclear about whether the non CC V90 was any different. I had thought I saw mentioned that the non CC V90 didn't have the OEM as an option.

How about actual use... no ill effects on the drive train?
If you look for the European V90 owners manual, there are a few sections for towing. Bottom line is 2000 lbs is no problem and even if you allow an extra 500 lbs for the trailer it’s still well within the car’s capacity which is over 4,000 lbs for a braked trailer.

I have V90 CC with the T6 engine and it has no problems towing my boat, which is over 3,000 pounds on a non-braked trailer. It’s worth qualifying that by saying Volvo North America (Canada and the US) never offered the OEM tow package for the V90 (just for the CC.)

Like a lot of other brands, towing seems to be an afterthought for North America - not sure if that’s a liability issue. So if you ever ran into problems, Volvo might try to say that you towed on a vehicle that wasn’t approved for towing. So you might want to download and save the European Owner’s manual for proof that the car is capable.

I like the Stealth Hitch because there is no receiver slack, which decreases the clunks and jolts when you start and stop. The OEM hitch (if you can find one) would be similar - but then you wouldn’t be able to use a standard North American hitch bike rack since you can’t remove the ball.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
128 Posts
I called one dealer locally here and they said no to both OEM and Stealth hitched for a straight 2019 V90. He may have been uninformed as these are rare cars. Does anyone have a hitch here on a non CC V90?
Go to the Stealth website - there are reviews from V90 owners.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
It seems it can be done. I called one certified installer but they directed me to another here in Chicagoland. Will the software have to also be attended to at a dealer then?

The stealth seems the way to go.

·
Registered
946 Posts
It seems it can be done. I called one certified installer but they directed me to another here in Chicagoland. Will the software have to also be attended to at a dealer then?

The stealth seems the way to go.
Yes small software update. I read here people that only got the software done at dealer.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
There is also a dealer here that is authorized, they would be a one stop shop. I imagine higher cost... who knows. I will make some calls Monday.

Reactions: pocholin

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I just learned from Stealth that they are not offering the hitch for the V90. The hitch itself will work but the wiring harness will not. They are working on it but no timetable. They seem to need a donor car. I would gladly do that if I was not 7-800 miles away. I guess I wait?

·
Registered
83 Posts
I just put a curt hitch on mine. I read somewhere the S90 would be identical, and the install of the hitch seemed to be. I didn’t have any issues with that, but curt said their wiring adaptor for a S90 actually uses the one for a XC90. That did not work, the plugs were different, so do try that route. I’m thinking of trying to splice it in and see if it works, but I’d like to find some wiring info first. Curt wouldn’t send me the pinout diagram, and I haven’t tried to find the V90 one yet either.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts