SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Greeting all.

I need a little advice. I'm interested in picking up a hitch mounted bicycle carrier that is shown on the volvocars/us site. It looks like a small chrome/black platform that fits into a class 2 hitch. The unit has a set of tail lights built in.
Unfortunately no dealer, or calls to Volvo USA have produced any leads. VUSA is saying its a European Product and not available in the US.
I'm a little disappointed because nobody at Volvo will do anything to assist me. This thing might as well be on Mars.
I've just started reaching out to dealers in the UK and am awaiting info back. That said, does anyone have any words of wisdom on the topic?

Thanks all.

·
Administrator
55,918 Posts
I have seen a similar Volvo platform bike rack (if not the same) on a European S60, a nice setup and one that if priced reasonably may sell well.

The most similar to that style are a few Thule models:

http://www.thule.com/en-US/US/Products/Bike-Carriers/Hitch/917XTR-T2

http://www.thule.com/en-US/US/Products/Bike-Carriers/Hitch/916XTR-T2#

http://www.thule.com/en-US/US/Products/Bike-Carriers/Hitch/918XTR-T2-Add_-_on-for-916XTR

http://www.thule.com/en-US/US/Products/Bike-Carriers/Hitch/990XT-Doubletrack

·
Registered
5,847 Posts
It looks nice but also expensive.

This Volvo dealer has been good in getting parts only available overseas before, give the parts dept a try.

Borton Volvo

·
Registered
1,329 Posts
Fellas, this looks like something the Edsel Board of Directors had something to do with.

My GOD, what is wrong with an efficient folding bike rack you can stow in your vehicle after unloading the bikes and taking off for an afternoon ride?
I doubt if anyone would steal this thing, but normally we ride from a remote parking lot on the Natchez Trace National Park, and if you leave a nice bike rack out where someone can just pull the pin and take it......they will.

best,

P

·
Registered
2,010 Posts
It is a Europe only accessory

Greeting all.

I need a little advice. I'm interested in picking up a hitch mounted bicycle carrier that is shown on the volvocars/us site. It looks like a small chrome/black platform that fits into a class 2 hitch. The unit has a set of tail lights built in.
Unfortunately no dealer, or calls to Volvo USA have produced any leads. VUSA is saying its a European Product and not available in the US.
I'm a little disappointed because nobody at Volvo will do anything to assist me. This thing might as well be on Mars.
I've just started reaching out to dealers in the UK and am awaiting info back. That said, does anyone have any words of wisdom on the topic?

Thanks all.
That's because it is a Europe only accessory and is not compatible with US style square hitches. It requires the European towbar rather than the US ball hitch. You can verify this on Volvo's Accessories sites. Volvo NA would only assist you with US accessories.

The bike carrier from Europe - not Mars:
http://accessories.volvocars.com/Ac...2 AWD/Automatic/L.H.D/ShowDocument/VCC-450747

And the towbar it needs to attach
http://accessories.volvocars.com/Ac...2 AWD/Automatic/L.H.D/ShowDocument/VCC-450546

·
Registered
1,329 Posts
pfffft, I like the volvos but we don't have any problem designing trailer hitches and accessories here on this side off the pond.

That bike rack assembly "from mars" is nuts, I would be embrassed to be seen with one.
People would talk about me even more, lol.

best,

P

·
Registered
4,185 Posts
Fellas, this looks like something the Edsel Board of Directors had something to do with.

My GOD, what is wrong with an efficient folding bike rack you can stow in your vehicle after unloading the bikes and taking off for an afternoon ride?
I doubt if anyone would steal this thing, but normally we ride from a remote parking lot on the Natchez Trace National Park, and if you leave a nice bike rack out where someone can just pull the pin and take it......they will.

best,

P
Get yourself a locking pin!

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thank you for your comments

I appreciate all the help folks.

After a few email exchanges with a UK Volvo Dealer it has been determined that this unit simply clamps to the Ball with a claw like device mounted in the underside. The ball has top be 50mm, which = a 2" ball in the US market. That's the easy part.

I could use a little advice (if anyone knows) on the wiring.
The carrier comes with a 13 pin connector. The 13 pins allow for full functionality of the lights on the carrier. ie. brake/turn signals/reverse/fog lights. Does anyone know... if I get the UK wiring harness, have it installed on my US XC90, will it work? Or will I probably have to rewire it?

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Update

I've researched this further, (Because that's how I am) and learned the following.

After contacting Manhattan Volvo and the parts dept getting on the phone with the tech guys at Volvo it had been determined that in the very near future Volvo will be releasing a 15 pin wiring harness in the US to address this exact issue. It's apparently been held up because of some DOT regulatory nonsense. Anyway the harness is identical to the euro version. So for those of you who are interested, the wiring in the back of the XC90 is identical across the pond. At least for the 2013 year model.
I'm out of town today, but when I get home ill post the Volvo part # for the harness.
Now just because Volvo doesn't have the part in the US yet doesn't mean you can't get it elsewhere. I'll post that info also in a follow-up.

·
Registered
827 Posts
Check to make sure that it doesnt need that 90-deg bend hitch they use in europe. That is what is in the photos. The ball may be similar in size
but the rest of the hitch is completly different.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
DMD

Good point.
I've asked the Brit dealer about this. They say any 2" ball will do. Nevertheless there are 2" euro ball assemblies avail online that fit in a 2" class III mount. Hopefully it won't come to that.
I'll keep this chain posted.

Thx.

·
Registered
441 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I ordered one, and the wiring harness/module from a UK dealership earlier this week.
I did a lot of research on this and talked to a lot of people about compatibility. The only real question was about software. The fact is that the software upgrade some folks say you would need only deals with the park assist sensors. I.e. the sensors see the carrier and continually alert you when reversing. Without the software upgrade the workaround is hit the switch on the dash that disables the sensors. Therefore no alarm. Therefore no trip to the dealer to load software.
The one thing that some might find annoying is that the wiring harness is Euro 13pin, as is the carrier. This allows for full functioning of the lighting, including reverse fog light, turn signals, brake, and back up light. I don't own anything that is trailered so the 4 pin US harness doesn't matter to me.

I'll update this post once I get it on te car.

·
Registered
1,329 Posts

·
Registered
1,329 Posts
I'm not sure just why I am so turned off with this product.

It must have something to do with "unnecessary excess", "overkill", perhaps "trolling" but I am at a loss as to WHAT one would troll FOR using this as an accessory, and maybe "ridiculous" comes to mind as well. If I saw one of these on the road, I am sure that I and my wife would both break out into laughter simultaneously. We ride the Natchez Trace Parkway from Garrison Creek to the top of the Tennessee Divide, so we are seriouls bikers, and I have never seen anything remotely similar to this from any cyclist, serious or otherwise. If you have ordered this thing, I would really consider cancelling the order and saving the money for a nice carbon fiber bike.

If you think this looks ridiculous behind a Volvo, just think how foolish it would look behind a Miata, a Jaguar, a Mercedes, Porsche, or a Leaf, lol.

P

·
Registered
365 Posts
I would really consider cancelling the order and saving the money for a nice carbon fiber bike.
I have a finsky that you are a Trek guy.

Cannondale faithful here.

·
Registered
1,329 Posts
Yep, running a Gary Fisher and another Trek with "more gears and lighter weight" I can't remember what it's called.

P

·
Registered
405 Posts
Theres a site in england that sells volvo parts and accessories. That's your best bet. I'll post it if I can remember.

http://www.partsforvolvosonline.com They may not have it but may know where you can get it, if it's a euro part.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts