SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just installed a Hidden Hitch, the Volvo Cable and the Volvo Towing Module.<p>I have heard that the towing module reduces the torque to the car. Does anyone know if this is only when a trailer is connected? Is it only in 1st gear?

·
Registered
498 Posts
Re: Hitch Module & Torque Reduction? (atct86)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD><i>Quote, originally posted by <b>atct86</b> »</i></TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I just installed a Hidden Hitch, the Volvo Cable and the Volvo Towing Module.<p>I have heard that the towing module reduces the torque to the car. Does anyone know if this is only when a trailer is connected? Is it only in 1st gear?</TD></TR></TABLE><p>It only applies to the V8. Here's the info from the user manual. It does it when the trailer's electrical connector is plugged in.<p>Cheers!<p><br>---------------------------------------------<br>#<p>Smoother starts with a trailer Models equipped with the V8-engine and the 6-speed automatic transmission have a built-in function that reduces acceleration slightly in first gear when the vehicle is towing a trailer. This is done to help avoid wheel spin and to make starting off smoother.<br># This function is activated when the trailer's electrical connector is plugged into the electrical socket mounted near the trailer hitch.<br># The function is automatically deactivated when the trailer's wiring is disconnected from the socket. The vehicle will then accelerate normally.<p>NOTE: Since this function is activated when a connector is plugged into the electrical socket near the trailer hitch, it will be activated by any electrical equipment (e.g. bicycle racks with lighting, etc) that is plugged in, and will remain active until the equipment is unplugged from the socket.

·
Registered
2,740 Posts
Re: Hitch Module & Torque Reduction? (AccuView)

Learn something new everyday. I didn't realize the V8 did this. I wonder if this is the source of the mysterious current that causes my LED trailer lights to stay dimly lit for a short while after the car is off. If so, I wonder if the car is able to detect the trailer through the LED circuitry. At the same time, maybe the low current is what has 'maybe' caused them to fail? Noticed this past weekend that various LEDs are no longer lighting up in both light modules. I still need to check out some other things but it looks like internally some LEDs don't light up anymore. They're lifetime warranty but I went ahead and ordered a set of bulb based ones just in case.

·
Registered
59 Posts
I had thought that if you installed the towing module yourself it still required a s/w upgrade by the dealer to activate the reduce torque operation.

·
Registered
2,740 Posts
Re: (joe19812)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD><i>Quote, originally posted by <b>joe19812</b> »</i></TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I had thought that if you installed the towing module yourself it still required a s/w upgrade by the dealer to activate the reduce torque operation.</TD></TR></TABLE><p>I'm looking over the manual that came with my trailer module and I don't see any mention of a software upgrade required. If it is required, then it must be documented elsewhere.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Re: (pattyweb)

I do not think it requires an upgrade. However I will be testing the connection tonight.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

I tested the electrical connection tonight, and it works fine without a S/W update.

·
Registered
2,740 Posts

If you're referring to just the actual lights, we know those will work without a S/W update. joe19812 was referring to the engine torque reduction feature when a trailer is plugged in requiring a S/W update. Were you able to test that?

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Re: Hitch Module & Torque Reduction? (pattyweb)

I didnt test for a reduction in acceleration, thought if the lights worked then it all would work.

·
Super Moderator
9,305 Posts
Re: Hitch Module & Torque Reduction? (pattyweb)

There are some other functions that require the update. The trailer turn-signal indicator on the instrument comes to mind, and the rear foglight is disabled when a trailer is connected.<p>Tom.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Re: Hitch Module & Torque Reduction? (tmtalpey)

I have not done an S/W updates, and the trailer turn signal light in the dash did come on.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts