SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

41 - 60 of 62 Posts

·
Registered
552 Posts
This is what the 2017 looks like. I like everything contained within the donut spare.

Sent from my motorola razr (2020) using Tapatalk

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #42 ·
My underfloor is the same as pocholin's.

The problem is the tow bar attachment is significantly larger than the receiver attachment. I keep the receiver attachment with my hitch rack, so that's not usually in the car - but I like to keep the tow bar in the car (there is the odd time I need to rent/borrow a trailer in the city). I tend to use my car like a utility vehicle - I load and haul whatever I need to wherever I need it - even light off road and still have a pretty luxurious wagon most of the time.

The towbar would fit if I removed the underfloor tray - but there is a lot of painted metal and hard plastic underneath and harnesses towards the front. No good rattle free place to store something without wrapping it up. Also - tried driving without the tray, and I imagined that it was noisier back there.

I'm in the process of ordering the underfloor compartment (see posts by “nbvolks” who did this) and doing away with the spare - for most of my driving the risk is acceptable as I'm rarely more than a couple hours away from a major City and have had very few blowout flats in my lifetime. If I can get this, it will solve a lot of the storage issues. I really like this car but they didn’t put enough thought into storage bins/pockets, IMO.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
18 Posts
Installation of the Curt S90 hitch went off without a -- problem.

The instructions for installing on an S90 that come with the hitch weren't as useful as the overview in this thread. They specify a need to remove bolts inside the spare tire well and I did not have to to that -- 6 T25 screws in either wheel well and 4 underneath were all that was needed.

A note on removing the wiring harness: a thin flat head screw driver head inserted into the tunnel on the side that connects to the bumper made quick work of this. You just need to lift the tiny pins inside up a little and the two sides of the connector slide apart with ease.

Thanks to advice in this thread, I left a "flap" when removing a cutout from the bumper so I would have minimal space for road dirt and salt to intrude. I only left around 3/4" but likely could have gotten away with 1 1/2" -- but I filled in the gaps with several layers of duct tape and as you can see there's very little space for gunk to intrude.

I had a devil of a time getting the soft plastic tabs on the bumper to line up properly on re-install...several were bent or warped prior to my removing them and did not enjoy being coaxed back into place. It's not an up-close job, but it doesn't look half bad, either and if it really bothers me I expect I could remove the bumper partially and engineer a fix. Installation took about 3 hours and most of that was trying to get the body panels as close to perfect as I could.

All told, hitch + this low end 4 bike receiver rack ran me under $400 delivered and moved our 4 bikes to the shore without a problem and with no parts spilling over into the trunk. By contrast, the RockyMounts tierods we had been using would have cost $560 (on top of the cost of cross bars), would have required us to remove and transport front tires from the bikes (adding time to the load/unload process and a lot of lost space) and likely wouldn't have supported our trail-a-bike at all.

There's quite a lot of flex in this cheap rack and the bikes are really close together. I don't know that I would choose this installation for a bike I actually cared about, but for dragging my 14 year old Fuji Finest around a few times per year it's perfect.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Hey Matt,
I'm considering a hitch too since I have to replace one of the tail lights on my V90. One of the bolts is behind the bumper, no wonder the dealer wanted $800+.
Did you get the Curt custom wiring harness for the XC90 that's shown on their site? That install looks great too!

Also anyone else, I thought I saw something here about having Volvo reprogram the software if you're adding a hitch. What's the reasoning behind that?
Thanks
I edited this post because I'm an idiot when it comes to proffreading. lol

Installation of the Curt S90 hitch went off without a -- problem.

The instructions for installing on an S90 that come with the hitch weren't as useful as the overview in this thread. They specify a need to remove bolds inside the spare tire well and I did not have to to that -- 6 T25 screws in either wheel well and 4 underneath were all that was needed.

A note on removing the wiring harness: a thin flat head screw driver head inserted into the tunnel on the side that connects to the bumper made quick work of this. You just need to lift the tiny pins inside up a little and the two sides of the connector slide apart with ease.

Thanks to advice in this thread, I left a "flap" when removing a cutout from the bumper so I would have minimal space for road dirt and salt to intrude. I only left around 3/4" but likely could have gotten away with 1 1/2" -- but I filled in the gaps with several layers of duct tape and as you can see there's very little space for gunk to intrude.

I had a devil of a time getting the soft plastic tabs on the bumper to line up properly on re-install...several were bent or warped prior to my removing them and did not enjoy being coaxed back into place. It's not an up-close job, but it doesn't look half bad, either and if it really bothers me I expect I could remove the bumper partially and engineer a fix. Installation took about 3 hours and most of that was trying to get the body panels as close to perfect as I could.

All told, hitch + this low end 4 bike receiver rack ran me under $400 delivered and moved our 4 bikes to the shore without a problem and with no parts spilling over into the trunk. By contrast, the RockyMounts tierods we had been using would have cost $560 (on top of the cost of cross bars), would have required us to remove and transport front tires from the bikes (adding time to the load/unload process and a lot of lost space) and likely wouldn't have supported our trail-a-bike at all.

There's quite a lot of flex in this cheap rack and the bikes are really close together. I don't know that I would choose this installation for a bike I actually cared about, but for dragging my 14 year old Fuji Finest around a few times per year it's perfect.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Also anyone else, I thought I saw something here about having Volvo reprogram the software if you're adding a hitch. What's the reasoning behind that?
SW update is really only relevant if you plan to tow, it enables the 'centerline' in the backup camera view (so you can aim the ball at the hitch), and adjusts the Stability control algorithm to help prevent / mitigate trailer yaw inducing vehicle stability problems.

·
Registered
18 Posts
With just the receiver for now I’ve not wired anything yet. No software necessary, but you do need to disable the radar chime or it’ll go off constantly. It’s just a button press in the infotainment system, but it’s enough that I won’t leave the rack installed when I don’t need it. I only have about 6 inches of play in my narrow driveway and need that chime to protect what’s left of my rims.

·
Registered
6 Posts
thanks for the detail on this one, impressive. I have a '17 V90 CC, no hitch. I need a 2 bike rack for the back, and beyond that really no need for a hitch. I've been searching high and low for a rack system without hitch, to no avail for this wagon. have you seen anything out there for the V90?

Also, if I purchased a stealth hitch, I would pay someone to install it. Roughly how much did the hitch itself cost without install?

thanks ahead!
Volvo does have a bike rack that fits the OEM ball mount. I have one and don’t really like it. It’s small. It’s fine for road but my trail bikes just bang into each other.

I’m trying to figure a way to retro fit a receiver so I can use my old hitch rack.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Volvo does have a bike rack that fits the OEM ball mount. I have one and don’t really like it. It’s small. It’s fine for road but my trail bikes just bang into each other.

I’m trying to figure a way to retro fit a receiver so I can use my old hitch rack.
I ordered the OEM ”2 inch” retractable hitch with my 2021 V90CC. Really cool hitch, but surprised/disappointed to find it had a 2” ball instead of a 2” square receiver (in fairness to me, when I ordered it in November OSD, there really weren’t pictures to make this clear and I had an OEM square receiver on my 2002 V70XC). Having it removed in a couple of weeks and replaced by a stealth hitch so I can use my 1up USA bike rack.

·
Registered
948 Posts
I ordered the OEM ”2 inch” retractable hitch with my 2021 V90CC. Really cool hitch, but surprised/disappointed to find it had a 2” ball instead of a 2” square receiver (in fairness to me, when I ordered it in November OSD, there really weren’t pictures to make this clear and I had an OEM square receiver on my 2002 V70XC). Having it removed in a couple of weeks and replaced by a stealth hitch so I can use my 1up USA bike rack.
If they keep all components intact I'm interested in your removed hitch/wiring.

·
Registered
948 Posts
There is a V90CC for sale here and it appears to have 2" receiver (or is that one piece in the pic?) Not 100% sure it's the retractable OEM one but confident yes as I saw other pictures before and didn't notice the hitch at all, it also has the software in the sales ad.

Does that mean Canada might have the receiver option?

·
Registered
1 Posts

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Thanks for all the pictures. Any issues with the Kuat rack sitting too close to the exhaust and melting either rack components or bike components i.e. carbon wheels? I'm putting a hitch on my V60 CC with intent to carry a Kuat NV 2.0. The retailer is recommending a hitch extender which IMO defeats the purpose of the stealth hitch that's costing me 1kUSD installed.

·
Registered
4 Posts
There is a V90CC for sale here and it appears to have 2" receiver (or is that one piece in the pic?) Not 100% sure it's the retractable OEM one but confident yes as I saw other pictures before and didn't notice the hitch at all, it also has the software in the sales ad.

Hard to tell from that picture, but that looks like the same OEM retractable 2” ball that I had installed.

·
Registered
948 Posts
Hard to tell from that picture, but that looks like the same OEM retractable 2” ball that I had installed.
So the ball (grey) is fixed to the black part?

·
Registered
4 Posts
So the ball (grey) is fixed to the black part?
Yes, the silver/gray ball is actually one solid piece with the black part under the car. I thought it would be removable leaving the 2" square receiver (like my prior OEM hitch on the 2002 V70XC and the square receiver hitches you see on nearly every other car).

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #56 ·
Thanks for all the pictures. Any issues with the Kuat rack sitting too close to the exhaust and melting either rack components or bike components i.e. carbon wheels? I'm putting a hitch on my V60 CC with intent to carry a Kuat NV 2.0. The retailer is recommending a hitch extender which IMO defeats the purpose of the stealth hitch that's costing me 1kUSD installed.
No, no problem at all. On my car (and my previous car) the Kuat tray is well above the exhaust flow - same with my previous Thule T2 tray rack too. Because of the tip-down feature (to allow the hatch to open) most hitch mounted tray racks are set higher up - to allow for the tilt-down.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #57 ·

I waited many months after car purchase to see if Volvo would release a retractable hitch with a removable ball (like their V60 hitch). My dealer kept saying that it might be developed. Instead, Volvo Canada stopped selling the V90CC and V90! That's why I eventually went with the Stealth Hitch.

·
Registered
83 Posts
If anyone is looking at the Curt wiring harness, the S90 option (#56285) which is actually for a XC90 but says it's for the S90, it doesn't fit. The plugs are different. Any suggestions other than doing some custom wiring?
I'm thinking it's pretty straightforward if I can find a wiring diagram for the V90 and the Curt harness.

Also, the area I had to cut on the bumper actually seemed to have the lines already identified at the factory. This pic shows the first cut that I measured wrong, and I had to extend it more towards the rear by an inch or so. The factory lines were good side to side, but I didn't have to go back as far as the rounded edges start.

All in all it was a fairly easy job. I did have to take the wheels off as CedarMtn said as well. Follow his steps!
The only issue I ended up with was similar to what Matthew Miller said with lining up the bumper tabs. The right side looked like it had a missing tab so I couldn't get it to sit flush right under the taillight. I looked all around and couldn't find any pieces on the ground, so I'm guessing it was taken off and messed with before, or was damaged at the factory. All I know is that I'm going to notice it every time I'm on the passagers side now!

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #59 ·
If anyone is looking at the Curt wiring harness, the S90 option (#56285) which is actually for a XC90 but says it's for the S90, it doesn't fit. The plugs are different. Any suggestions other than doing some custom wiring?
I'm thinking it's pretty straightforward if I can find a wiring diagram for the V90 and the Curt harness.
I can't help with the wiring diagram - but the wiring harness that Stealth supplies for the V90 is actually an OEM XC60 harness. So maybe your Curt supplier has a Curt harness for the XC60?

41 - 60 of 62 Posts