SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

21 - 40 of 62 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Am I reading this right? Retail on this component is less than 1/3 the cost of a Stealth Hitches rack receiver. What are the downsides?
The Stealth hitch allows you to remove the 2" receiver that hangs below your bumper and accepts the rack or tow ball. With this component removed, visually the car looks no different and the only way to see any of the hitch components would be to look up under the bumper to see the cutout and Stealth receiver.

·
Registered
18 Posts
The Stealth hitch allows you to remove the 2" receiver that hangs below your bumper and accepts the rack or tow ball. With this component removed, visually the car looks no different and the only way to see any of the hitch components would be to look up under the bumper to see the cutout and Stealth receiver.
So if I'm lazy, and would likely never remove the receiver anyway, there's not much downside…

We've used roof mounted RockyMounts for years, but I now that I need to fit 4 bikes (and their front tires) I am leaning towards a hitch mounted rack. We'd also like to invest in a quality car top carrier while we're at it. If I go with the best of each (hitch, bike carrier, car top carrier) it's a $3500 bill, so it's good to have options.

·
Registered
552 Posts
Curt #13305 (S90) worked great on my 2020 V90 Cross Country. It’s not approved by Curt, but given the similarities and SPA shared architecture, I tried it. Installed it myself in about 2 hours, pretty darn straightforward. However, I didn’t install any wiring since I’m only using it for a bike rack.
It looks like a clean install, it would be nice if you post a picture with nothing attached to the hitch. For the cost, this is a great option! I personally think that having the receiver showing all the time is good insurance for those people that follow too close, it keeps them at a safer distance!

·
Registered
14 Posts
Exactly, thanks @Mountain_Smith. Personally, I would have loved to have the removable receiver, but for the cost I couldn't justify it (yes, took a chance that the S90 hitch would work). You'll also see in my profile pic that I have a roof box that comes and goes based on need, as well as a single bike mount on the roof.

·
Registered
14 Posts
It looks like a clean install, it would be nice if you post a picture with nothing attached to the hitch. For the cost, this is a great option! I personally think that having the receiver showing all the time is good insurance for those people that follow too close, it keeps them at a safer distance!
Sure thing- the hitch is flush with the rear bumper so it may not offer extra insurance, but certainly doesn't take away either. Pictures attached, including from the ground up to show the fascia cutout.

·
Registered
14 Posts
So if I'm lazy, and would likely never remove the receiver anyway, there's not much downside…

We've used roof mounted RockyMounts for years, but I now that I need to fit 4 bikes (and their front tires) I am leaning towards a hitch mounted rack. We'd also like to invest in a quality car top carrier while we're at it. If I go with the best of each (hitch, bike carrier, car top carrier) it's a $3500 bill, so it's good to have options.
On my last car, I tried most hitch tray bike racks except for Rocky Mounts (thule, Yakima, Kuat, and OneUp). Thule and Kuat hung too low and would hit the ground regularly, so they got sold pretty quickly. The Yakima was great in that regard, but started to wear out (plastic). I ended up with a OneUp Equip-D last year, and while it's slightly harder to use than the others it has been great. I think the newer T2 Pro (thule) is improved, but it's still a lot of plastic.

·
Registered
552 Posts
@DenverSharp , thanks for the pictures, it came out looking good!

One advantage to this, Curt, versus Stealth Hitch is the cut out isn't as large, with such a big cut for the Stealth hitch, one concern is dirt, mud and salt (for places where salt is used in the winter) accumulations. Thank you for taking the risk and sharing your findings!

Reactions: DenverSharp

·
Registered
18 Posts
I ended up with a OneUp Equip-D last year, and while it's slightly harder to use than the others it has been great.
This looks great. Price is good compared to Kuat as well.

I'm leaning towards a simple hanging rack -- we don't travel with the "good bikes" so a little bike to bike contact doesn't bother us and the youngest is still on a trail-a-bike.

·
Registered
28 Posts

Yup, if you are going to be lazy about it you might as well save the coin as there would be no downside for you. I prefer the clean look when I'm not hauling my bikes. That being said, I got lazy this weekend and only the rack got removed from my V90 and the 2" receiver is still hanging out 😂

In the past, I've always used roof mounts for my cars and hitch mounts for my SUVs to haul bikes. I've come to prefer hitch mounts mostly for vertical clearance issues. It's also easier as I get a bit older, especially after long rides, to load the bikes to a lower rack. One downside with hitch racks on the lower V90, I have scraped my 1UP occasionally - even with air suspension and being careful in the areas I suspect I might drag.

Reactions: DenverSharp

·
Registered
14 Posts

On my last car, I tried most hitch tray bike racks except for Rocky Mounts (thule, Yakima, Kuat, and OneUp). Thule and Kuat hung too low and would hit the ground regularly, so they got sold pretty quickly. The Yakima was great in that regard, but started to wear out (plastic). I ended up with a OneUp Equip-D last year, and while it's slightly harder to use than the others it has been great. I think the newer T2 Pro (thule) is improved, but it's still a lot of plastic.
This looks great. Price is good compared to Kuat as well.

I'm leaning towards a simple hanging rack -- we don't travel with the "good bikes" so a little bike to bike contact doesn't bother us and the youngest is still on a trail-a-bike.
Yeah, I think a lot of the issues with rub are solved on the newer hanging racks. The other great benefit is that you can add more bikes without the load getting longer & hanging way out back. If you do get one, would love to see pictures.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #32 ·
Denver Sharp - that is a very clean install!

I went with Stealth - not just for the clean look when I'm not towing or carrying bikes. I tow a boat occasionally (about 3100 lbs on trailer) and one of the great features of the Stealth (as well as the Volvo factory swing out hitch) is that there is no slack at the receiver - it's totally solid (or in Stealth's case - feels totally solid). So when you start and stop you don't get the "thunk" as the slack is taken up and the receiver hits the pin. This actually makes a big difference, especially if you're in a situation with a lot of starts/stops. It's one reason why the Stealth load capacities are based upon the European standards (higher than North American).

The downside for Stealth (besides the cost) is the size of the two inserts (the tow ball, and the bike rack receiver). They're quite bulky and there aren't any good places in the car to stow them (whereas a simple towball insert would likely fit somewhere underfloor. I bought the Stealth case to carry the inserts and just keep it in the back passenger footwell most of the time but if I have passengers, it goes in the back.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I ordered a Stealth a couple of weeks ago and still waiting on delivery. However, one potentially surprising limitation to the Stealth is that you can only tow with their ball mounts. You are not supposed to tow using the 2" receiver plus a separate ball mount. This means you have to choose from one of their ball mounts.

·
Registered
18 Posts
This means you have to choose from one of their ball mounts.
This is important as their mounts are pricey. I am going to try the Curt route for now as I am years away from understanding my trailer needs, and from the pictures posted here it doesn't appear that the curt mount reduces clearance by much if at all on a CC.

·
Registered
14 Posts
This is important as their mounts are pricey. I am going to try the Curt route for now as I am years away from understanding my trailer needs, and from the pictures posted here it doesn't appear that the curt mount reduces clearance by much if at all on a CC.
Let me know if any questions come up on install, although the directions from Stealth & Curt are nearly dead-on. Only change I had to make was on the cutout, as 5" depth wasn't quite enough. If I were to do it again, I'd try to cut out only one side in front of the receiver, try to slide it around the hitch on install, then rivet it back together to make it slightly cleaner. But that's my OCD.
I know there are questions around more dirt getting inside the bumper cover, but in reality the heat shield / fascia fit is still quite tight to ingress remains minimized.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #36 ·
I ordered a Stealth a couple of weeks ago and still waiting on delivery. However, one potentially surprising limitation to the Stealth is that you can only tow with their ball mounts. You are not supposed to tow using the 2" receiver plus a separate ball mount. This means you have to choose from one of their ball mounts.
Their entire system depends upon the design of their mounts - which is what makes it possible for the hitch to be hidden when not in use. The mounts themselves are really solid and the balls are replaceable. So unless you lose one, or need one of a different height, it's a one time purchase. They are pricey but the design and build quality is top notch. If you want a hitch that is hidden when not in use, can tow OR carry a North American hitch style bike rack - there is no other choice.

·
Registered
552 Posts
If you want a hitch that is hidden when not in use, can tow OR carry a North American hitch style bike rack - there is no other choice.
Well, the Curt offers a second choice to those two things with slightly less capacity. Stealth hitch is rated at 6,000 lbs tow and 600 lbs tongue weight versus 5,000 and 500 for the Curt.
I do agree that Stealth will be of better quality and refinement but Curt makes a solid budget option IMHO.

Sent from my motorola razr (2020) using Tapatalk

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #38 ·
For anybody worried about dirt and salt getting up through the cutout, I’ve attached some pics looking up at my hitch from below the cutout.

This is after one winter in Toronto (typically a lot of salt used on the roads). Admittedly, it wasn’t what I would call a harsh winter but I did go out during and after a few good snowfalls and recently did a trip to my farm which was quite muddy.

You can see from the pics that the parts that hang down lower (like the chain rings) got exposed but all the bodywork above is completely clean.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
28 Posts
The downside for Stealth (besides the cost) is the size of the two inserts (the tow ball, and the bike rack receiver). They're quite bulky and there aren't any good places in the car to stow them (whereas a simple towball insert would likely fit somewhere underfloor. I bought the Stealth case to carry the inserts and just keep it in the back passenger footwell most of the time but if I have passengers, it goes in the back.
Curious what the underfloor area looks like on your car. I've seen some differences on XC90s depending on engine, maybe trim, and years; but not sure if the V90s also have differences. On my 2020 V90 T6, I can fit my Stealth 2" receiver under the floor without issues, and I think there'd also be room for one with a ball too. It tucks in next to the spare tire and is very secure and doesn't rattle at all.

And, yes before anyone asks, I am aware of the factory location for the warning triangle in the tailgate.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Curious what the underfloor area looks like on your car. I've seen some differences on XC90s depending on engine, maybe trim, and years; but not sure if the V90s also have differences. On my 2020 V90 T6, I can fit my Stealth 2" receiver under the floor without issues, and I think there'd also be room for one with a ball too. It tucks in next to the spare tire and is very secure and doesn't rattle at all.

View attachment 123993

View attachment 123994
And, yes before anyone asks, I am aware of the factory location for the warning triangle in the tailgate.
i have the same underfloor layout on my '20 V90 CC

21 - 40 of 62 Posts