SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
6,041 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So a family of deer decided to race across my path the other night, and unfortunately I collected one of the big doe's. I'd say that after the hard braking, I made contact at about 20 mph (not exactly sure, no airbag); the deer flew about 10 ft and was flopping about for some time before getting her head together, getting-up, "walking it off" and rejoining the family. As for my V60, I was expecting some decent front and hood damage from this pretty solid hit, but was pleasantly surprised that only a small dent and some slight bending on the left front of the hood (no paint cracks or spidering) and 4 of the plastic fasteners/grommets that attach the upper center section of the nose cap to the car, were sheared off from the bumper pushing-in. Going to the shop this Thursday anyway for some rear driveline work, so will have them check it out for any damage not obvious to me. Also having a dent puller guy come over this week to see if he can do something about the hood.

Honestly, most people wouldn't see the damage unless I pointed it out to them, so overall, I was very impressed with how stout, or probably better described as resilient, the front nose is on these cars. Deer are everywhere now it seems, so here's to all of us missing the rest of them. :beer:

·
Super Moderator
39,184 Posts
Glad you are OK and did not get injured. I know some of these collisions can be horrific.

The design of the car (and your good luck) has, undoubtedly, contributed to less damage; the hood is designed to reduce injuries to pedestrians so not sure how it may have contributed to, both, the deer not getting killed/being crippled and your car not incurring heavier damage.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Wow Pete, glad you're ok. Bummer about the V, hopefully she'll be back to new in no time!

·
Registered
1,632 Posts
I feel your pain....I hit a deere while I still had in-transit plates tapped in the windows.....not the way I wanted to start of my new car ownership. But that's why we have insurance!

·
Registered
250 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
I'm looking to order a V60 RD and wondering if the technology package is worth the money. Did the full auto-brake collision avoidance feature kick in at all before the hit? Thanks.

·
Super Moderator
39,184 Posts
I'm looking to order a V60 RD and wondering if the technology package is worth the money. Did the full auto-brake collision avoidance feature kick in at all before the hit? Thanks.
It is not designed to work with animals...yet.

·
Registered
3,679 Posts
Some deer accidents with vehicles can be horrific.....glad no one was hurt.
That's exactly why the deer population needs to be controlled.....

·
Registered
4,636 Posts

·
Registered
6,041 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
Thanks for the kind words Guys!

Found out from folks here at work that they've seen hunters roaming around in the nearby woods, so this suggests that the deer around here are pretty skittish, and could explain why they would bolt across the road into traffic. Oh, I hit this deer just leaving work, say 500 ft away.. Elmer Fudd's need to hunt further away from civilization.

·
Registered
6,041 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Glad you are OK and did not get injured. I know some of these collisions can be horrific.

The design of the car (and your good luck) has, undoubtedly, contributed to less damage; the hood is designed to reduce injuries to pedestrians so not sure how it may have contributed to, both, the deer not getting killed/being crippled and your car not incurring heavier damage.
Thanks Man!

I was thinking the same thing, about the pedestrian protection designed into the front of the car, considering how a good portion of the nose cap moved-in without showing significant damage as a consequence. The deer just bounced off like it hit a trampolene (maybe exaggerating a tad).

·
Registered
6,041 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Difficult for me to tell whether the collision avoidance kicked-in vs. my emergency braking, as this all occurred in a split second. The deer must've been in stride from the left, so didn't see them coming until one was right on me, I had maybe a second to react. I doubt that the deer were in the system's "field of vision" in time for it to react in time, I know the system didn't hit the brakes before I did.

·
Registered
6,041 Posts
Discussion Starter #15

·
Registered
6,041 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Glad you are alright and the car took minimal damage. I hit a deer a few years back with my 2007 S60R and was shocked at how little damage there really was to the car. http://forums.swedespeed.com/showthread.php?107733-Sonic-took-Bambi-s-life-RIP! Unfortunately the deer didn't survive and the cop had to put it down.
Thanks!

I agree, I expected much worse... looks like you hit a little harder than me, though difficult to tell considering the different nose designs. Seems like these new front-ends are very flexible and absorb well, plus the more vertical design (pedestrian protection) hits objects more flush, so less prone to cave-in like your S60R did.

·
Super Moderator
39,184 Posts
I doubt that the deer were in the system's "field of vision" in time for it to react in time, I know the system didn't hit the brakes before I did.
The deer will not be recognized by any of the Volvo's collision warning systems. At least, not yet.

·
Registered
149 Posts
One of the reasons why I converted from a BMW to a Volvo, this is what happened to my beloved BMW when it's fate was ended by a deer on the highway. I slammed on the brakes and probably hit the doe at around 45mph. I was fine, and now I feel safer knowing that I'll be safer in a Volvo.

This year, when I was driving home from Banff (3 months into owning the RD), the truck in front of me hit a deer and I was stuck in the passing lane and was not able to pass the truck. With traffic behind me, my only choice was to run over the carcass. Stopped at the next rest stop, and no visible damages. Brought it into the dealership the next day, and the only damage they could find aside from the deer blood, meat, skin and hair was a small plastic air guide under the car when the doe exited the undercarriage. I didn't believe them so I asked them to take me out back to inspect, and to my surprise, the techs were right.

Volvo, not only are they pretty sexy looking, they are pretty damn strong.

I'm glad you're ok Pete, and sure glad it wasn't a moose.

·
Registered
256 Posts
Some deer accidents with vehicles can be horrific.....glad no one was hurt.
That's exactly why the deer population needs to be controlled.....
Coincidently we had some great venison sausage tonight. Won't help the cause since I'm in Germany right now. The zillions of deer at our house can't get me.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts