SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
300 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Guys, I just read this over at brickyard:<BR> <A HREF="http://www.brickboard.com/AWD/index.htm?id=138793" TARGET=_blank>http://www.brickboard.com/AWD/index.htm?id=138793</A> <P>where a guy bumped into a concrete parking headstone which deflected the engine ECU air vent tube that hung under the car into the engine's serpentine belt which jumped off track into the timing belt which jumped off track which bent the valves and poked holes in the pistons.<P>Poor guy's out over $3500 and Volvo won't repair it under warranty. Looks like a totally bad design because the vent tube is rigid and in close proximity to the serpentine belt.<P>My wife's S80 2.9 built in January 2000 doesn't seem to have the vent tube under the engine-bay pan, but I wonder how many other folks might have this problem (if it is even a real problem.)<P>This is a heads-up for other owners: you might want to check this and trim the tube and save yourself the cost of replacing the engine.<P>I'm surprised Volvo didn't say "OK, you pay for the bent plastic tube, we'll pay for the belts and engine because it was such a close design." It certainly would've made the guy happy, at least. <P>But I wouldn't be surprised if he doesn't buy another Volvo after being turned down on a warranty claim like this. <P>Would you?

·
Super Moderator
39,289 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by T5 Dave:<BR><B>Guys, I just read this over at brickyard:<BR> <A HREF="http://www.brickboard.com/AWD/index.htm?id=138793" TARGET=_blank>http://www.brickboard.com/AWD/index.htm?id=138793</A> <P>where a guy bumped into a concrete parking headstone which deflected the engine ECU air vent tube that hung under the car into the engine's serpentine belt which jumped off track into the timing belt which jumped off track which bent the valves and poked holes in the pistons.<P>Poor guy's out over $3500 and Volvo won't repair it under warranty. Looks like a totally bad design because the vent tube is rigid and in close proximity to the serpentine belt.<P>My wife's S80 2.9 built in January 2000 doesn't seem to have the vent tube under the engine-bay pan, but I wonder how many other folks might have this problem (if it is even a real problem.)<P>This is a heads-up for other owners: you might want to check this and trim the tube and save yourself the cost of replacing the engine.<P>I'm surprised Volvo didn't say "OK, you pay for the bent plastic tube, we'll pay for the belts and engine because it was such a close design." It certainly would've made the guy happy, at least. <P>But I wouldn't be surprised if he doesn't buy another Volvo after being turned down on a warranty claim like this. <P>Would you?</B><HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>Dave,<P>come on! I read the gentleman's post, after reading yours, and how can you blame 100% Volvo for this? This is a totally freak accident which, I bet, 99.9% of everybody on Earth never heard of! How can one prove that this CRAZY sequence of events caused the engine damage??? Just because someone told him that? Even if this sequence was true, why is it a bad design from Volvo's part? How could Volvo engineers take into account every freaky possibility that could take place in this world??? Their focus is to build a safe, reliable car. A car that, as witnessed by many so far, if it is onvolved in a severe collision will give up "its life" to save yours...Honestly, if something like this ever happened to me, I would just shake my head and thank God that lightning did not strike me!<P>Yannis<BR><P>

·
Registered
439 Posts
Wouldn't that count as a road hazzard under his Insurance Policy?<P>That's damage inflicted by the owner man. I don't see why Volvo should pay for it. It blows and all, but he inflicted the damage to the car.

·
Registered
300 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yannis, whoa. I mean, the guy just drove into a parking stall and the engine trashed itself. The owner didn't mount the rigid vent tube so close to the serpentine belt--Volvo did. Sure, you can't catch all the problems before the car is released into production but Volvo didn't even admit it had a design susceptable to major engine damage from such a minor parking infraction. <P>Really, I think denial of a potentially major problem on a new model is a bad marketing strategy, especially when Volvo wants to break out of the off-mainstream corner it's painted itself in over the last 60 years. I'll just state my opinion that I think when Volvo denies the repair claim like this it will save them $$ now at the expense of sales in later years. <P>Owning 2 Volvos (an S80 and S60), I'm concerned: Will Volvo will step up to the plate if I encounter a problem like this where a design that's OK in Sweden doesn't work in the USA where we have lots of high curbs? I guess from your response I shouldn't expect Volvo to back their products.<P>OK. So suffice it to say I'll raise the red flag to other S80 owners to have their cars checked so their engines don't suffer the same catastrophe. (My wife's 2.9 didn't seem to have the vent tube extension under the bumper, but the other mechanics who wrote into the brickyard forum stated they'd seen it on other S80's and corrected it by just sawing it off--that way the curb can't knock the tube into the belt.)<P>But hey, it's your car, I can't force you to do something you don't want to do.<P>

·
Premium Member
6,997 Posts
Hmmm, interesting. I'll stay out of this one, though I might point out that the car has been around for some time (since 99) without this being a prob. <P>Second, we don't know how hard this guy hit it. I'm not saying he hit it hard or didn't hit it hard, but Volvo doesn't know either. <P>Third, he could check into Evolvo's suggestion and see if his insurance will cover it. <P>$3500 is a mighty big good will gesture. That said, if what you say above is true T5 Dave, then it might be something Volvo would want to make a change on....

·
Super Moderator
39,289 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by T5 Dave:<BR><B>Yannis, whoa. I mean, the guy just drove into a parking stall and the engine trashed itself. The owner didn't mount the rigid vent tube so close to the serpentine belt--Volvo did. Sure, you can't catch all the problems before the car is released into production but Volvo didn't even admit it had a design susceptable to major engine damage from such a minor parking infraction. <P>Really, I think denial of a potentially major problem on a new model is a bad marketing strategy, especially when Volvo wants to break out of the off-mainstream corner it's painted itself in over the last 60 years. I'll just state my opinion that I think when Volvo denies the repair claim like this it will save them $$ now at the expense of sales in later years. <P>Owning 2 Volvos (an S80 and S60), I'm concerned: Will Volvo will step up to the plate if I encounter a problem like this where a design that's OK in Sweden doesn't work in the USA where we have lots of high curbs? I guess from your response I shouldn't expect Volvo to back their products.<P>OK. So suffice it to say I'll raise the red flag to other S80 owners to have their cars checked so their engines don't suffer the same catastrophe. (My wife's 2.9 didn't seem to have the vent tube extension under the bumper, but the other mechanics who wrote into the brickyard forum stated they'd seen it on other S80's and corrected it by just sawing it off--that way the curb can't knock the tube into the belt.)<P>But hey, it's your car, I can't force you to do something you don't want to do.<P></B><HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>Dave,<P>just what you wrote, "the guy just drove in to a parking stall and the engine was trashed", says it all! How many times have you heard that? I, personally, have never heard of such thing and there are more than a couple of hundred THOUSAND S80s being driven around the world, at this time. <P>I kinda resent the fact that you mention "based on your response I do not expect Volvo to back their products"...that is a low blow. What does it have to do with the way the car was made? Is it PROVEN that this is a design fault? Is it proven that Volvo is negligible? We only have this guy's version of the story...how do you know what really transpired? If I want to be distrusting, perhaps he ran over something at a higher speed or something else really took place...who knows? But this is one of the freakiest set of coincidences that I have ever heard.<P>Volvo cannot just good-will an engine just because! No manufacturer would. I can't see how Volvo sales could be hurt by the equivalent of being struck by lightning!<P><BR>Yannis<BR><P>

·
Banned
29 Posts
I own a yr 2000, S80 T6.<P>Are they saying that the serpentine belt, can jam and assuming they share a common shaft, causes the timing belt to slip?<P>I can't believe any engineer would build something like this (I'm an engineer).<P>Do you know of any schematics of the engine?<BR>

·
Registered
339 Posts
there is a key word in your post that really answers the question: "bumped". no car manufacurer would be responsible for collision damage. if they did, the warranties would cost more and hence the cars would cost more. there comes a point when the owner must accept responsibility for his actions - which is why we have insurance. if this guy tried to go into a european dealership (1 year warranty) and tried to seek compensation, they wouldn't even comprehend what he was asking for.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I have read 4 identical incidents reported on various S80 owner Boards in the past 6 months alone, so this is not exactly a "freak accident". Who knows how many other cases are unreported? Not all owners participate in the Swedespeed, VolvoSpy, Brickboard, or Edmunds forums. While a reported frequency of 4 while 20,000 cars were sold is only 0.2%, that is not much consolation to the unfortunate victims of what clearly is a poor design.<P>This rigid plastic vent tube is located about 8" behind the front bumper, on the right side, and protrudes 1" - 2" through a cutout in the flexible underbody cover. Even if you approach a relatively high parking curbing at an imperceptible rate of speed (less than 1 mile per hour), the vent will be deflected rearward if it contacts the curb. It only has to move less than one inch to contact the serpentine belt. I could push mine into the belt with 1 finger while lying on the garage floor. This is hardly a "collision" event or "bump". There will be no damage to the body of the car.<P>Deflecting the tube into the path of the serpentine belt with the engine running causes it to be drawn up and toward the pulleys. The vent tube is subsequently demolished with shards of plastic being projected into the plastic timing belt cover, penetrating it. When a projectile becomes trapped between timing belt and either a cog or tensioner, the timing belt is damaged or jumps a cog (or perhaps several). This allows the valves and pistons to collide, resulting in engine damage that costs $3000 or more to repair. Those with Collision / Comprehensive insurance coverage may only have to pay a $500 or $1000 deductible, but their insurance rates will probably increase.<P>Volvo seems to be aware of this flaw, as several owners have reported a service technician shortened or added retainers to the vent tube on their S80 during a regular service visit without any request on their part. Volvo probably cannot admit to the flaw without triggering a rash of lawsuits.<BR>

·
Registered
300 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by n0v8or:<BR><B>I have read 4 identical incidents reported on various S80 owner Boards in the past 6 months alone, so this is not exactly a "freak accident". Who knows how many other cases are unreported? Not all owners participate in the Swedespeed, VolvoSpy, Brickboard, or Edmunds forums. While a reported frequency of 4 while 20,000 cars were sold is only 0.2%, that is not much consolation to the unfortunate victims of what clearly is a poor design.<P>This rigid plastic vent tube is located about 8" behind the front bumper, on the right side, and protrudes 1" - 2" through a cutout in the flexible underbody cover. Even if you approach a relatively high parking curbing at an imperceptible rate of speed (less than 1 mile per hour), the vent will be deflected rearward if it contacts the curb. It only has to move less than one inch to contact the serpentine belt. I could push mine into the belt with 1 finger while lying on the garage floor. This is hardly a "collision" event or "bump". There will be no damage to the body of the car.<P>Deflecting the tube into the path of the serpentine belt with the engine running causes it to be drawn up and toward the pulleys. The vent tube is subsequently demolished with shards of plastic being projected into the plastic timing belt cover, penetrating it. When a projectile becomes trapped between timing belt and either a cog or tensioner, the timing belt is damaged or jumps a cog (or perhaps several). This allows the valves and pistons to collide, resulting in engine damage that costs $3000 or more to repair. Those with Collision / Comprehensive insurance coverage may only have to pay a $500 or $1000 deductible, but their insurance rates will probably increase.<P>Volvo seems to be aware of this flaw, as several owners have reported a service technician shortened or added retainers to the vent tube on their S80 during a regular service visit without any request on their part. Volvo probably cannot admit to the flaw without triggering a rash of lawsuits.</B><HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>I checked my wife's 2000 S80 2.9, and her vent tube is routed out of the ECU box and over to the radiator, so it misses the serpentine belt altogether by a wide margin.<P>Still, if your tube runs close to the serpentine belt, my recommendation (and I'd do this if it was my car) is you take off the rigid tube altogether and replace it with the proper diameter "Scat" tubing you can get from your local airport general-aviation mechanic: it's a silicon-rubber flex hose that's built for high engine bay temperatures. Just take off the old rigid tubing, put on the Scat tube with a hose clamp, then route the hose down to the underside of the car AWAY from the serpentine belt, say on teh side of the washer bottle. (Make sure you tie the scat tube down along the way)<P>But in any case, at least clip off the tube extension that protrudes under the lower cover so it can't whack the curb.<P>Your engine and pocketbook will thank you for it.<P>I dunno, sounds like a design flaw to me . . .

·
Registered
9 Posts
I recommend you look again. On my 2001 S80 2.9, there are three separate tubes to/from the ECU/TCU box, plus the wiring harness. One passes through the firewall into the passenger compartment. A second, as you pointed out, terminates at the top of the radiator shroud. The third (and troublesome) one exits at the bottom of the ECU box, then runs along a "cutaway" molded into the windshield fluid reservoir. Below the reservoir, it runs directly in front of the serpentine belt. You may have to push up on the underbody cover to see the termination point (which is about 1" x 2"). With one hand, and no leverage, you can easily raise the cover by 2", exposing the duct. A concrete curb will have no problem deflecting it even more.<BR>

1 - 11 of 11 Posts