SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello fRiends! I recently purchased a Grey 2004 V70R Wagon . . . . CARFAX makes me as the fourth owner, though #3 flipped it.

My mechanic has me researching the history so we can have a pit-stop overhaul next week.

Most of what I found out from my VIN search I could have told you curbside. Specifically this:

12/12/2009 New Jersey
Damage Report Accident reported

It hit another motor vehicle
Right front primarily damaged
Vehicle towed

. . . dimples in the RT passenger door. Not overly concerned with this as the repair history includes, not the body work, but at least the rest.

The issue that I have run into is that the history goes DARK from 89k until basically [email protected] 124K

I am trying to fill in the gap. If anyone KNOWS, or IS, the past owner. Or perhaps can shed some light into this, I would greatly appreciate it.

The dealers listed in my report have been VERY helpful. However I need to know what happened. During the DARK phase the master timing belt was changed.

Ideally the owner will speak up. I am looking for Volvo garages in the Lawrenceville, NJ/ Princeton, NJ area that might have some information.

Hopefully this forum can help.
Thank you.

·
Registered
3,313 Posts
Could go to any dealer, have the VIN looked up and see if any work was done at any dealer (and they'll print it for you) - aside from that, youre back to where you were waiting for the owners to pony up any documents to which he has.

GL.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The issue is that the repair wasn't done at a CARFAX garage. The VIN search still has the GAP I spoke of. . . .

·
Registered
3,313 Posts
The issue is that the repair wasn't done at a CARFAX garage. The VIN search still has the GAP I spoke of. . . .
I wasn't talking about a CARFAX; all dealers keep track of work done to vehicles, any Volvo dealer can print all work ever done at a Volvo dealership per VIN - I was just asking if you tried that yet.

Aside from that, any work done at a 'side/independent' garage, than the original issue still stands.

·
Registered
11,927 Posts
Or it may have just been someone like me who does all maintenance myself so of course it's not in CARFAX... :)

Or it could have been someone who did nothing but an oil change or two... :(

·
Registered
2005 S60 T5 M66 with 4c
793 Posts
Volvo of Princeton has been pretty good to me. I purchased my car through them in 2010 and use them for CPO work. General Maintenance there gets really expensive, so I do all the basic things myself.

·
Registered
5,847 Posts
I don't understand, with a car with that many miles on it, if it needs some thing done now, you'll have to do it anyway. If the timing belt is suspect, just do it and have the peace of mind.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
History hunting

I don't understand, with a car with that many miles on it, if it needs some thing done now, you'll have to do it anyway. If the timing belt is suspect, just do it and have the peace of mind.
I agree with you.

As I mentioned my mechanic. . . The timing belt was done about 10k miles ago. His first question was if the bearings where swapped when the belt was changed.

I am thrilled with the car. I haven't even turned on the radio yet and I listen, and it sounds good. My feeling has a 4c replacement on the horizon, but I will know next week I guess.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts