SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2,179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Over the years there have been times I have been asked by Overseas Delivery customers about driving their new Volvo in Sweden and if an American should be concerned. Here's a story that helps to explain why they should not worry.

Recently I had a visit from a vintage Volvo Overseas Delivery customer. Frank and his wife Margaret talked with me about a replacement vehicle for their current Volvo. In the course of our conversation Frank told me about his journey to the Volvo factory in Goteborg, Sweden for a new Volvo way back in 1967. He asked me if I knew the historic event that took place in Sweden 45 years ago when he received his Overseas Delivery Volvo...

Well, since that was a few years before I was driving, let alone working with the Volvo Overseas Delivery program...

I said no, I don't know what happened in Sweden then. Frank told me that when he received his new Volvo at the factory was the same time that Sweden switched from driving on the left hand side of the road to the right hand side of the road.

Frank began driving his new Volvo in Sweden on Dagen H (Swedish for H day). Also known as "Hogertrafikomlaggningen" - September 3, 1967 was the day when traffic in Sweden switched from driving on the left-hand side to the right-hand side. The "H" stands for "Hogertrafik", the Swedish word for "right-hand traffic". After all, Sweden's Scandinavian neighbors - Denmark, Norway and Finland drove on the right side of the road, most of Europe was on the right side of the road and Swedish cars had left hand steering.

That's right, umm, left...Volvo built their cars with left hand steering for drivers who drove on the left side of the road.

After four years of preparations at 5 am on September 3, 1967 Sweden made the switch. No one was run over and cars didn't fall into the rivers. Overall, it was a great success.

·
Registered
347 Posts
Wow. One might be tempted to find a pre 1967 Swedish movie to see this prior driving convention in action.

·
Registered
3,196 Posts
Actually you can find a much more modern movie to see this. "Kitchen Stories" is a wonderful comedy set in the time period after the 2nd World War about a Swedish scientist who is sent to observe an old Norwegian bachelor to study his habits (particularly in the kitchen). Each time he drives across the border you see all the drivers switching sides of the road.

It's a great movie with a bunch of references to social issues of the time period (such as Sweden's neutrality during the war) and has English subtitles.

·
Registered
1,953 Posts
How interesting. I would think that it would not have been such a issue in some of the smaller communities, but more in the big cities. I'll have to check out the movie. I'm assuming it can be found on the internet.

·
Registered
3,683 Posts
Interesting......thanks for sharing!!!

·
Registered
347 Posts
We watched "Kitchen Stories" using Netflix and enjoyed the subtle humor but I was not paying attention (2 years ago) to the car switching lanes at the border crossing between Norway and Sweden.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts