SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
759 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone had an issue with a sort of hissing sound coming from behind the dash when the A/C is on? I leave the auto climate on all the time so the A/C is on typically. I noticed a hissing sound behind the dash this week, loud enough I could hear it over my loud music playing. I drove for a while to see if it would go away but it didn't. I then turned the A/C setting off manually and it stopped, turned the A/C back on and it came back. Next time I drove the car I didn't hear it until after driving for 10 min or so, but same condition it goes away and comes back with changing the A/C on/off.

I might wait a bit until it's consistent enough to be sure the dealer can reproduce and diagnose, or maybe use that recording thing in the VOC app before I bring it in. I'm sure they can figure it out, in the meantime just wondering if anyone else had the same issue.

·
Registered
1,406 Posts
had an issue like this on my Audi. it was a cabinet air filer not inserted correctly. Maybe give this a try before a visit to a dealership.

·
Registered
622 Posts

·
Registered
1,999 Posts
It's interesting to look at the TSB and actually confirm on 4 Zone climate cars the rear outer seats really do each have a separate air duct from the front, each with their own damper motor/door to alter air temp independently

·
Registered
2019 Volvo S60 T6 R-Design Polestar
68 Posts
OP, did you ever get this issue resolved? I have the same problem with my ‘19 S60 T6. The climate control would make a hissing noise and it would stop if I turned the A/C off. There was a warm day here recently and I turned the A/C on only to find hot air blowing out. Needless to say the car is currently at the dealership being looked at.

·
Registered
759 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
My service appt is next week, now the weather has warmed up it's hissing all the time and my A/C isn't very cool either. I had to reschedule because I got the COVID and was quarantining so it's been a long wait to get it in for service! I'm pretty confident though they will diagnose it and fix it up. Keep us posted since you are already in there for service!

·
Registered
1,999 Posts
There have been numerous SPA cars that have had the A/C condensor under the dash leak, causing the audible noise and poor or no A/C performance. It's extremely likely that's what the diagnosis will be.

·
Registered
68 Posts
It was definitely a leak. They had to refill the A/C and added a dye to help find the location. The dealer wants to look at it again when I get the 2nd factory service

·
Registered
759 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
There is a thread or 2 in the S90 forums this seems to be coming up for those guys too. Most of them report it's an underhood hose. I'm hoping for that because oh lawd I hope they don't need to dismantle the dash! Appt next Friday so I'll see what they say when they get a look at it.

Condenser would be the exchanger behind the grille, evaporator is what's under the dash. But there are lines and hoses running around to those and the compressor, high and low side so a leak could certainly be anywhere.

·
Registered
1,045 Posts
Yep, our evaporator was replaced on our 2017 XC90 at about 65k miles. Hissing and no cold air. Well, first the dealer replaced the AC compressor. That didn't work. So they did the evaporator and that worked. Over $4k for that billed to the VIP platinum warranty .

Sent from my SM-G781V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
68 Posts
That is the exact noise mine was making. They said there was no Freon left in the system at all so it must have been a big leak. I will push this issue when I go in for 20k maintenance because I’m not going to handle this one out of warranty

·
Registered
12 Posts
System was almost empty (only 26 gram left) .... Now they filled the system (650 gram) and added toner. So now I keep driving and come back to service when the problem reoccurs.

·
Registered
759 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
After a long wait, I am fixed! They couldn't look at it Friday, just too busy, but they got to it yesterday and got it fixed up inside of the day. I picked up this morning and all is well. I think I had a tiny leak since new, my A/C always been a bit weak, while my loaner was cold as ice. It was leaking hose from compressor (no interior dismantle woohoo!) and they did an evap recall while it was in. At first I thought that was A/C evap but I think that is the emissions system evap. Always happy with the service from Boston Volvo.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts