SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The dealer says I need new inner and outer tie rods. They are evidently siezed, according to the person who tried to align the car today, so I probably just need outers, . . . BUT

here's my question: I can get replacement inner and outers, and boots, for about $60 from a reputable supplier. The quote from the dealer for the job was $850. Alldata says it takes 1.4 hours to do both inners and .4 to do the outers. Ofcourse, Alldata has no service instructions. What is involved in replacing the inner tie rod ends? Any advice? Sure would like to save $720 for a few hours work.

Thanks.

·
Registered
63,543 Posts
Re: Hints on tie rod replacement? (emoor)

Correct, about a 2 to 2-1/2 hour job, maaaaaaaaaaaaabe 3, tops
Also remember you MUST have an alignment afterwards (1 hr)
Your parts price sound awfully cheap though

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Re: Hints on tie rod replacement? (JRL)

Parts from AutohausAZ.

My question is: how do you DO the inners?

Thanks.

·
Registered
63,543 Posts
Re: Hints on tie rod replacement? (emoor)

Inner tie rods are at the end of the steering rack so everything up to that must be removed, it DOES take a while

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

Thanks, though I was tempted to do it myself, the car is at the dealer and I'm trying to get an explanation as to what the car actually needs. I put struts and swaybars on it and took it in for an alignment only to be told that the outer tie rod locknuts were frozen and that, therefore, I needed new inner and outers.

Don't follow their logic there. We'll see!

·
Registered
1,235 Posts

Quote, originally posted by JRL »
Inner tie rods are at the end of the steering rack so everything up to that must be removed, it DOES take a while
...and it requires a 32mm wrench to remove them, due to this the reason we failed to replace the inner on my son's car (I had no proper tool in my garage)

·
Registered
63,543 Posts
Re: Hints on tie rod replacement? (d_man)

Quote, originally posted by d_man »

...and it requires a 32mm wrench to remove them, due to this the reason we failed to replace the inner on my son's car (I had no proper tool in my garage)

Sears?

·
Registered
1,235 Posts

Yeah, tx for the tip Jim
. There's a lot more places to get it from, but not on Sunday 8PM I guess

·
Registered
63,543 Posts

Yeah, tx for the tip Jim
. There's a lot more places to get it from, but not on Sunday 8PM I guess
Our Sears is open to 9 on Sundays
(Home Depot, 24 hours, no excuse)

·
Registered
1,235 Posts

You are leaving me no option but to admit that "I didn't want to fix his car on Sunday night" LOL

·
Registered
63,543 Posts

You are leaving me no option but to admit that "I didn't want to fix his car on Sunday night" LOL
Now, doesn't the truth make you feel good

·
Registered
37 Posts
Is there any instructions online to replace the inner tie rod end?

Our XC needs the passenger side inner end to be replaced. I already have the part.

It also needed new sway bar links, and a front drive shaft joint and boot. Of which I've done those already.

But I can't find any info on replacing that tie rod end. Would love to be able to do that one myself as well.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts