SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
617 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all,

Have a ‘13 R-Design with 78k, and have been chasing a vibration starting above 60, becoming much worse around 70+. Seems to be a BIT worse under hard throttle (had it making a DEEP frequency shudder last week overtaking a car at 75+), but not overly throttle dependent otherwise. Most noticeable on the highway with the cruise set, during normal driving. Steering wheel and seat bottom both seem to have it, not isolated.

Dealer has replaced both front axles (much better since, but not gone). They also replaced the upper engine torque arm and the hydraulic mount below it (unrelated to this, just something they noted). I’d suspect a tire vibration, but all 4 wheels were new Volvo a year ago, and tires are freshly balanced Michelin’s (I’ve never had an issue with a Michelin tire). Bulletins for driveline vibration have been performed (one involving prop shaft carrier bearing spacers, the other a new AOC pump).

So, any idea where else I should direct them on an XC with these miles? Have read that the S60s have control arm bushings that wear that cause a shimmy, not sure if that applies here? Do these have prop shaft issues (seizing u-joints, etc)?

Car is CPO and goes back to the dealer Monday, just curious if there are any common issues.

Thanks!

Joe

·
Registered
617 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Bent rim. Had exact same issue with a car once, replaced the problematic rim, and the vibration was gone.
Hope not, they’re less than a year old. Not saying it COULDN’T be, realize you can bend one in a day. Just saying, hope I haven’t bent any :(.

Joe

·
Registered
617 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Dealer has had the car for a week today, and they’ve got nothing. Said they can’t verify the vibration, despite it being there every drive cycle at those speeds. Going to try a set of wheels/tires from the parts manager’s XC, and I hope that doesn’t become a ploy to sell me tires. They’re at 5/32”, and they’ve already hinted at being because they’re “nearing the end of life”. Wear alone doesn’t necessarily translate to vibration, though...:(

Joe

·
Registered
1,155 Posts
I have the same issue with my XC at the moment. It isnt the wheels/tires. I think its control arm related or the knuckle could be bent as my caster is off on the left side. Its been like that since this shop pounded at the control arms putting new struts and lowering springs in.

·
Registered
617 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I have the same issue with my XC at the moment. It isnt the wheels/tires. I think its control arm related or the knuckle could be bent as my caster is off on the left side. Its been like that since this shop pounded at the control arms putting new struts and lowering springs in.
Interesting!

Not sure what work mine has had, but I believe it had outer tie rods before I bought it? Seem to remember them looking fresh, and the alignment when purchased was BAD. Car had over 1 whole degree of negative toe PER SIDE. Had it aligned, but not sure if they did a caster sweep. Also not sure how well they aligned, since it was a small general shop and not the dealership.

Thanks,

Joe

·
Registered
1,155 Posts
I installed new outer tie rods a couple months back, didn't do anything. I think my hub is bent because my caster on my right side is out a bit. All caused by a dip**** poorly installing lowering kit. I doubt a control arm would cause vibrations becuase when they go you start veering left or right.

·
Registered
617 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks guys.

Wanted to update. Drove the car today with wheels and tires from a brand new XC60, vibration/booming sound is still present. This makes me happy, since until now they’ve been saying it’s the tires. Also means my new Cratus aren’t bent already. :D

They’re ordering a prop shaft, will see how it drives after that.

Thanks!

Joe

·
Registered
1,155 Posts
Yep, both in the wheel and seat bottom. Can even see the wheel shimmy back and forth on occasion.

Joe
Wow. Let us know if the prop shaft fixes things. For me, the vibration in the seat was motor mounts. I replaced all of them and that fixed that, but I still have vibration which gets worse after the front suspension settles from being lifted off on Jack's. My belief is a control arm bushing is going.

·
Registered
617 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Wow. Let us know if the prop shaft fixes things. For me, the vibration in the seat was motor mounts. I replaced all of them and that fixed that
Sure, I’ll definitely report back. :)

Yeah I suspected engine mounts, too. Not sure if you saw my other thread about the T6 engine, but I can get a vibration in mine from 1800-2200 RPM or so while revving in park. Can feel it both in the wheel and seat also. Now, this is the same RPM range when it occurs on the highway, so I thought maybe they’re related. They couldn’t duplicate the vibration in park though, so it went nowhere. I’m not sure if the T6 has any inherent vibrations, it’s my first. Seems a smooth engine though, so I can’t imagine it’s normal...

For what it’s worth, they replaced both RH (front?) mounts last visit, the flat round one and the torque arm.

Thanks,

Joe

·
Registered
617 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
-UPDATE-

Prop shaft seems to have fixed the vibration in the seat, will tell for sure after a few days. The steering wheel vibration, on the other hand, is unaltered. No better, no worse.

Probably wait a few weeks, don’t want to give her up again already. Then back she goes, I guess...

Joe

·
Registered
1,155 Posts
Joe, buy a floor jack and change them yourself if you can. They are easy enough to do. I knew all my engine mounts were going when I had bad seat vibration. Actually it made me almost crap my pants once. Since I replaced mine that vibration was settled. There is one under the battery and one underneath the car. By the passenger axle

1 - 15 of 15 Posts