SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
That sounds like regular tire balancing, the machine spins at high speeds and they put weights to balance it. I've never heard anyone specifically referring to it as 'high speed', and I can't imagine installing a tire on a rim without balancing it. I'd ask them to clarify if this is just traditional balancing.

I'm very sensitive to any vibrations and when putting new tires I always do road force balancing, that matches low/high spots between rim and tire. Good shops will get measurements of all four initially and choose the best combination between particular rims and tires. When done right you need a lot less weight to properly balance the tire. However most shops buy those road force balancers and use them like traditional ones, I always ask what is this for and if I don't hear 'to match tire to a rim' I walk away.

·
Registered
2,529 Posts
I have heard the term high speed balancing used interchangeably with road force balancing. Either way its not fluff.

·
Registered
22 Posts
I have heard the term high speed balancing used interchangeably with road force balancing. Either way its not fluff.
And that was probably one of those shops which didn't know what they were doing. Road force balancing is by definition slow to get correct measurement, you press a tire agains a drum and spin it slowly. The equipment allows for traditional balancing (aka high speed) and most shops use it only that way, really. But the high speed part needs to be done after the slow one, not instead of it.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.