SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
2,383 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just picked up a new-to-me 6MT S60R which is completely stock. There is basically zero knowledge on these cars in the UK as the numbers sold make them rarer than hens teeth and even Volvo dealers are not sure what it is (!)

I've looked through some of the sticky threads but I'm not sure what I should be doing on this car in the first instance to just make it as good as possible. If anyone could be kind enough to recommend some parts and in what order I should be looking to get them done that would be great. I'm not going for speed enhancements, just making the car stronger and more robust.

·
Premium Member
8,700 Posts
First thing to do is make sure to remove the EBD (Exhaust bracket of Death) if it's there.

Secondly, go for Stage 0. Which means; plugs, coils, injectors, oil, air filter, coolant flush, transmission flush, hoses, pcv, timing belt (if it's 100K), suspension check(struts, springseats, bushings, balljoints), battery etc, check for drivetrain(angle gear). So basically, no add ons, just making sure the car is running as best as it can stock.

Then worry about addons later. Not sure what you mean by stronger and more robust, because that usually means performance upgrades.

·
Registered
635 Posts
After that, get some of those chassis braces from Viva. They take some of shakes out of the chassis. I ordered the F/R strut braces (upper). We'll see in a few days how they are.

·
Registered
1,341 Posts
are they really that rare in the UK? i spotted a flash green VR in Scotland when i was there last year.

·
Registered
1,822 Posts
First thing to do is make sure to remove the EBD (Exhaust bracket of Death) if it's there.

Secondly, go for Stage 0. Which means; plugs, coils, injectors, oil, air filter, coolant flush, transmission flush, hoses, pcv, timing belt (if it's 100K), suspension check(struts, springseats, bushings, balljoints), battery etc, check for drivetrain(angle gear). So basically, no add ons, just making sure the car is running as best as it can stock.

Then worry about addons later. Not sure what you mean by stronger and more robust, because that usually means performance upgrades.
This + like a lot!!! :p

are they really that rare in the UK? i spotted a flash green VR in Scotland when i was there last year.
Yeah I saw a ti-grey in scotland last year and I was only there for a week :)

Also, a 3" Down Pipe and Exhaust are great places to start. In the UK I'd assume you don't have to worry about heat soak too much so wait for a FMIC until you're further along with your build. Also the Ipd upper engine and trans mount (poly bushings) are a great way to take some 'slop' out of the drive train.

·
Registered
2,383 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Trust me they are so rare and so sought after that a good example will usually sell within a few hours of being put on sale.

I just want to make the car the best it can be without tampering with the ECU etc. I want a taut body and I want to make sure I have everything looked after to prevent any foreseeable catastrophic failure. On my previous Volvos the only thing I've done is add a front strut brace which was OEM. Is such a thing available on the S60R? I'm getting the XC90 axle bolts because mine are making odd noises at the moment. Is there anything else similar to this I should get taken care of?

Goodness knows how but after 36,000 miles my AWD is still working fine. Is there anything I can ask do to reinforce this element and make it more robust?

·
Registered
2,192 Posts
Trust me they are so rare and so sought after that a good example will usually sell within a few hours of being put on sale.

I just want to make the car the best it can be without tampering with the ECU etc. I want a taut body and I want to make sure I have everything looked after to prevent any foreseeable catastrophic failure. On my previous Volvos the only thing I've done is add a front strut brace which was OEM. Is such a thing available on the S60R? I'm getting the XC90 axle bolts because mine are making odd noises at the moment. Is there anything else similar to this I should get taken care of?

Goodness knows how but after 36,000 miles my AWD is still working fine. Is there anything I can ask do to reinforce this element and make it more robust?
The Ultra Racing chassis braces really pull the car together in my opinion. The front/rear strut tower braces, combined with the front and rear lower braces really just helps to keep the car planted and glide over bumps. Out of all of the mods listed in my signature I have to say that I like the complete strut brace kit the most. You'll notice the benefits in daily or spirited driving.

Viva performance also has a sale going on right now for them.

·
Registered
1,242 Posts
The Ultra Racing chassis braces really pull the car together in my opinion. The front/rear strut tower braces, combined with the front and rear lower braces really just helps to keep the car planted and glide over bumps. Out of all of the mods listed in my signature I have to say that I like the complete strut brace kit the most. You'll notice the benefits in daily or spirited driving.

Viva performance also has a sale going on right now for them.
I agree. I believe the poly mounts are a must with a MT.

·
Registered
4,477 Posts
I would say do the axle bolts, IPD DEM heat shield, poly upper engine mount, poly tranny mount( do both bushings) viva has them, poly bushing for the one thats in the back of the stock front strut bar, change plugs (due every 30k), fuel filter, k&n air filter with IPD CAI( make it breath a better), JRL mod, get rid of exhaust bracket, snabb shifter bushings (huge difference, especially with poly tranny mounts), IPD billet strut bar conversion kit, braided stainless brake lines, and flush fluids.

That all with make the car veerrry solid. I might be missing one or two things.. but do those..few hundred bucks. I have all that on mine and it works nice...everything else is just extra vrooooooom vrooom

·
Registered
2,192 Posts
I agree. I believe the poly mounts are a must with a MT.
+1

Another great addition, a stiff poly upper engine mount, strut tower conversion (either with bushings or without bushings), and lower transmission mount (both stiff poly bushings) does wonders to improve the shifting and clutch feel of the R.

·
Registered
4,477 Posts
Oh and do a HD TCV.. all the stuff i listed isnt big HP stuff but will make the car feel way better and respond better..like it should

·
Registered
4,477 Posts
Nah...i dont think so dude...all the things i listed make a difference in the feel of the car...just doin the engine, tranz, and shifter bushings make the car feel sooo much tighter. The IPD cai and filter make the turbo spool sooner, and lower IAT's. And other things have their place too.. i have a lot done to my car and have had 3 R's. I know a liiiittle bit about them.

·
Registered
4,477 Posts
Dude those tires suck

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
Full fluid replacement. (see maintenance sticky at top of forum)
Inspect spark plugs, check the gaps.
Fuel filter, air filter.
Inspect the PCV tube left side of oil filler cap, it breaks easily.
Inspect oil filler cap gasket, should be pretty tight.

Every time you're under car for oil change, inspect for leaks, especially angle gear.

·
Registered
4,477 Posts
Get get the IPD Hd cap gasket...stock one is garbage...

·
Registered
1,580 Posts
If you don't want to mess with the ECU here's what I might do:

Full Stage 0

Then...
3" downpipe
K&N Air Filter
Front & Rear Strut Braces

And unless I planned to race the caR, I wouldn't touch anything else. But honestly, I'd want to add a Stage 1 ecu upgrade

Now if this didn't satisfy you, your next set of options are huge!! :)

·
Registered
4,477 Posts
Nah...i dont think so dude...all the things i listed make a difference in the feel of the car...just doin the engine, tranz, and shifter bushings make the car feel sooo much tighter. The IPD cai and filter make the turbo spool sooner, and lower IAT's. And other things have their place too.. i have a lot done to my car and have had 3 R's. I know a liiiittle bit about them.

·
Registered
4,477 Posts
Wtf is up with these threads

·
Premium Member
8,700 Posts
Ignore Petew lol, he has his drunk posts. And as soon as he's sober, he deletes his rants.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts