SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 20 of 61 Posts

·
Registered
708 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone. Got my 2006 V50 and I'm looking to bump the ride height up, just an inch or two. I figure in close to 100,000 on the odometer so suspension will need to be replaced soon anyway, so I'm trying to plan out parts I'd need. Figure stiffer springs, bigger tires.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,447 Posts
To increase ride height and spring stiffness just add spring boosters to deaden one coil. I considered doing this and may still need to due to the large sag of my coilovers. Im out near the end of my adjustment and im not as high as I want to be.

·
Registered
1,447 Posts
There are only a couple of other guys who actually want to increase ride height. On our driveline the shafts are actually able to go a great deal higher. Its lowering that kills them.

·
Registered
708 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I'm just looking for a bit more ground clearance without doing major surgery on the car. Never been a huge fan of using spacers, but if it's the easiest cheapest route I'll take it.

·
Registered
4,372 Posts
Are you FWD or AWD?

Tires alone will do a lot. saffronmoose has an 05' V50 T5M AWD.
Flat black meteors with 205/65/16 snows (Stock height, no rolled fenders, no spacers, no rubbing)

·
Registered
1,447 Posts
Hey, that looks cool! I see he went badge-less too. Nice!

·
Registered
3,056 Posts
Hey man quick question - I have snows on there now, it came with them from the dealership - I think they were 205 55 15's. So the 205/65's fit like you said with no rubbing at all? I wanted to put more meat on my rims when it came time for regular street tires.

·
Registered
1,447 Posts
From what I have seen on my own suspension taller/larger tires are no problem. Wider tires are the difficulty. The offset needs to be modified to fit much bigger meats :) Some guys are running up to 255's from what I have seen with no flares.

·
Registered
7,275 Posts
Are you FWD or AWD?

Tires alone will do a lot. saffronmoose has an 05' V50 T5M AWD.
Flat black meteors with 205/65/16 snows (Stock height, no rolled fenders, no spacers, no rubbing)

Always loved this look. It just looks right!

·
Super Moderator
9,305 Posts
Always loved this look. It just looks right!
I'd say that car is a stock AWD suspension, with stock Clava 16's painted black, and oversize tires. Easy to achieve!

Meteors? Those would be 18's, right?

·
Registered
7,275 Posts
Yeah, it's only the wheels/tires that have been altered! Just saying an easy look to achieve that looks boss! :thumbup:

·
Registered
4,372 Posts
I'd say that car is a stock AWD suspension, with stock Clava 16's painted black, and oversize tires. Easy to achieve!

Meteors? Those would be 18's, right?
16 x 6.5" from the 850/70 series era. Yes, stock suspension.

·
Registered
708 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
That is a nice look, and good to know there's pretty much no alteration. How much is your speedometer off with the bigger tires?

·
Registered
106 Posts
I like the look! I was wondering about more height, the 65 vs stock 55, when I was shopping for new snow tires but I thought that they may have ended up causing a lot of snow packed into the wheel wells. Any problems that way?

·
Super Moderator
9,305 Posts
How much is your speedometer off with the bigger tires?
It would be simple math, using the revs-per-mile specs of the old and new sizes. Tire Rack lists them, among others.

The speedo difference isn't just cosmetic, btw. Because the stability control, electric power steering, and transmission all look at it, it could make a difference at speed.

The good news is, the speedometer ratio can be changed using VIDA. A dealer may or may not want to do it, but an indy, or a savvy VIDA/DiCE owner, could.

·
Registered
423 Posts
I wonder what size tires you would have to run on 18 x 7.5 wheel to achieve that on stock suspension. So those are 205/55/16? If so I can figure it out from there. I'd be interested in doing this and going back to stock springs if it didn't look too ridiculous.

·
Registered
7,275 Posts
I wonder what size tires you would have to run on 18 x 7.5 wheel to achieve that on stock suspension. So those are 205/55/16? If so I can figure it out from there. I'd be interested in doing this and going back to stock springs if it didn't look too ridiculous.
Pretty sure they were 205/65/16 not 55.

·
Registered
423 Posts
Based on a couple websites, the equivalent size would be a 205/55/R18. Does that sound right?

·
Registered
7,275 Posts
No tire available in that size AFAIK. Looking for a diameter of 26.5
Check all the sizes on this page under "Specs". I assume you want to stay narrower. A 215 is as narrow you can go in an 18. 45 yeilds 25.6 55 yeilds 27.3 A 50 would be spot on but they are super rare.
FYI: a 225/45/18 or even a 215/45/18 won't give the desired look from above. I would imagine you'd need to step up to something like 215/55/18. Don't know if that would clear stuff though!

I think a lot of the beefy cosmetic look is achieved via the amount of sidewall, so running an 18" wheel would never let you accomplish that. You may be able to pull it off with a 17" wheel.

1 - 20 of 61 Posts