SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've recently started hearing a high pitched tone, nearly as high as a dog whistle (although if it were a dog whistle , I couldn't hear it and and you wouldn't be reading this post:p). It occurs whether the radio is on or off. When the radio is on, I can hear the engine revs. I can't figure out where it's coming from. Any ideas?

·
Registered
998 Posts
Maybe it's just the sweet whine of the 5 cylinder beast. :D Or turbo whistle... Post a vid, makes it easier for us to help you out.

·
Registered
1,873 Posts
I've recently started hearing a high pitched tone, nearly as high as a dog whistle (although if it were a dog whistle , I couldn't hear it and and you wouldn't be reading this post:p). It occurs whether the radio is on or off. When the radio is on, I can hear the engine revs. I can't figure out where it's coming from. Any ideas?
is it there when driving or just idling? wheel bearing or driveshaft possibly?

·
Registered
1,993 Posts
FUNNY! My car just started a high whistle (at approx. 70mph) the other day. This noise "goes away" below or above that speed. This is exactly how my LR wheel bearing started before it turned to a growl/rumble about 13k ago. Seems as though it's time for the RR as it's also original at 77k.

·
Registered
2,633 Posts
If you can hear engine revs with the stereo on (i.e. the pitch of the whine changes) it's a ground loop somewhere or something related to your alternator. Do you have an iPod adapter?

·
Registered
5,397 Posts
If you can hear engine revs with the stereo on (i.e. the pitch of the whine changes) it's a ground loop somewhere or something related to your alternator. Do you have an iPod adapter?
^This. However some HU's simply suck...such as the stock HU

·
Registered
1,993 Posts
^ True. But I believe he said it appeared with the radio on and off.

·
Registered
5,397 Posts
^ True. But I believe he said it appeared with the radio on and off.
A HU whether on or off can show interference within the speakers as this is a externally amplified system...There's no such thing as completely off.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I used to have a ridiculously high pitch noise that was only prevalant when I drove in heavy rain. I turned out the drive shaft was too close to some cowling around the exhaust.....when it was hot, the cowling expanded and the quick cooling with the puddles of water caused it to rub ever so slightly. It was a really loud, "air-raid" like noise. They shimmed something and I never had the issue again.

2004 Volvo S60R

·
Registered
1,341 Posts
I used to have a ridiculously high pitch noise that was only prevalant when I drove in heavy rain. I turned out the drive shaft was too close to some cowling around the exhaust.....when it was hot, the cowling expanded and the quick cooling with the puddles of water caused it to rub ever so slightly. It was a really loud, "air-raid" like noise. They shimmed something and I never had the issue again.

2004 Volvo S60R
He is talking about what is called "rain squeal" on here search the term. It is caused by the center resonator rubbing on the driveshaft when the hot exhaust is hit by cold water and contorts the exhaust just enough to rub. It happens when it is wet out ie rain or snow or driving thru puddles.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts