SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently notice a high-pitched noise from the engine compartment of my '05 V70R that has ~67,000 miles. The noise is BARELY audible inside if the radio and fan is off, but much more noticeable if the windows are down, especially if next to a wall to ricochet the noise. So I'm not positive how long the noise has been present since I usually drive with the windows up and A/C on, but I think it is pretty new.
The noise is a constant pitch and volume and sounds like a squeal or whistle. It does not vary with engine speed or car speed. It is audible as soon as the RPM's come down after starting the engine and is constant until the engine is shut off. It sometimes seems like the noise goes away for the instant that I'm in the process of engaging the clutch. I noticed this when in the parking lot and just add the clutch was starting to engage, the noise stopped and then started immediately again either when I push the clutch back on or let it all the way out. That said, I don't it is actually related to the clutch directly since it feels and acts normally and the noise is present whether in neutral, in gear, with the pedal all the way down, or the clutch engaged.

Turning the A/C on or off makes no difference; neither does the fan.

I wonder whether it is the serpentine belt or something attached to it, though I can not localize the noise to that area. A vacuum leak was my other thought. That said, in pretty ignorant when it comes to these things.

Any ideas and /or trouble shooting advice?

Here is a link to a youtube video I made - you can hear the high-pitched whine above the clacking of the engine.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j182Z4wKBdA&feature=youtube_gdata_player

Thanks

Sent from my Galaxy S3

·
Registered
3,758 Posts
wow that's awful dude :( sorry I have no clue what it would be. I would rule out a vacuum leak, that usually sounds like rushing air not like the high pitched sound you have. Maybe a failed barring in the alt?

·
Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Ok. Glad to hear that a vacuum leak sounds very differently because I've heard horror stories when trying to localize those!
Failed alternator bearing is an interesting idea - do you know if that is a common occurrence with these cars?

Any other ideas out there?

Sent from my Galaxy S3

·
Registered
2,124 Posts
Are you sure this is not changing wiith engine speed?

The clutch interaction makes me suspect a throwout bearing, but should change with engine speed, or change with amount of clutch depression.

Put car in neutral, clutch out. Lightly depress clutch pedal and see if noise changes, or goes away.

·
Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Are you sure this is not changing wiith engine speed?

The clutch interaction makes me suspect a throwout bearing, but should change with engine speed, or change with amount of clutch depression.

Put car in neutral, clutch out. Lightly depress clutch pedal and see if noise changes, or goes away.
I read your post before coming home and double-checked in my driveway. I'm absolutely certain the noise does not change with engine speed. I can rev the engine in neutral and it doesn't change the volume or pitch of the noise. Pushing the clutch in or letting it out makes no difference in neutral. However, I confirmed that letting the cluth out in 1st gear, or reverse, transiently makes the noise go away during the "catching" phase when the gear starts to engage and the car starts to move. I can keep it quiet a little longer by riding the clutch a little and prolonging that phase. As soon as it has engaged fully, however, the noise comes back exactly as it was before (and remains while driving). Also, if I ride the clutch a little longer so the car is no longer accelerating but the clutch is only half-engaged, the noise does come back. It is only silent if the clutch is partially engaged and actively trying to accelerate the car (hope that description makes sense!).

Does that info help rule in or rule out the throwout bearing? Excuse my ignorance, but what is the throwout bearing? If that is the problem can it be replaced seperately or is it part of the clutch assembly and it all gets replaced as one unit? Is the throwout bearing going bad related to whether the clutch itself is worn or not?

(I recorded and posted the video from my smartphone. I just listened to it on my computer at home and am impressed that it is a pretty good reproduction of the sound!)

·
Registered
4,740 Posts

·
Registered
63,541 Posts
If touching the clutch changes the sound, I would look to the throwout bearing.
Nothing else makes any sense

·
Registered
2,124 Posts
Does that info help rule in or rule out the throwout bearing? Excuse my ignorance, but what is the throwout bearing? If that is the problem can it be replaced seperately or is it part of the clutch assembly and it all gets replaced as one unit? Is the throwout bearing going bad related to whether the clutch itself is worn or not?

(I recorded and posted the video from my smartphone. I just listened to it on my computer at home and am impressed that it is a pretty good reproduction of the sound!)
The throw out bearing is really not part of the clutch friction surfaces, it is a component of clutch actuation. It rides on the diaphragm of the pressure plate, and allows the pressure plate to be depressed while it is rotating. Hence the need of a bearing. Volvo design integrates the throwout bearing and the hydraulic slave cylinder, which again is part of clutch actuation.

The normal failure point for Volvo is the slave cylinder, not the integrated bearing. Regardless it all requires transmission removal, and while in there I would replace clutch disc, pressure plate, and slave/throwout bearing. Parts and labor it will be 2 to 2.5K.

The interaction with the clutch has one other possibility, and that is the clutch position sensor, but I can not determine anything that would make that noise as a result of it failing. When they fail, you will not have cruise control. See if cruise is still working, and we can explore mystery noise from there.

My fear is it is the throwout bearing.

·
Registered
1,993 Posts
My throwout bearing started to squeal 2 weeks after I noticed the slave leaking. FWIW, don't be doom amd gloom about it and check your idler pully for the serp belt (black plastic wheel) as these fail and make a high squeal/squeak noise. Good luck.

·
Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks for all the replies.

Not a car day today for me so I have not been able to test the cruise control. I know it worked recently, but don't know for sure whether I've used it since the noise started.

Seeing the breadth of possibilities and since there is no way I'm set up for a clutch job myself, I'll try to get it in to be checked out and fixed in the next week or two.

My only debate now is being it to the dealership or to an independent mechanic that I've used before - he seemed pretty good and was cheaper, but there is something about his shop that makes me wonder.... That said, if it is the clutch, or any of the other options above, those are ask pretty standard fair for a shop, right?

I'm probably replacing the car next spring, but still don't want a ticking time bomb installed !

Sent from my Galaxy S3

·
Registered
3,758 Posts
Thanks for all the replies.

Not a car day today for me so I have not been able to test the cruise control. I know it worked recently, but don't know for sure whether I've used it since the noise started.

Seeing the breadth of possibilities and since there is no way I'm set up for a clutch job myself, I'll try to get it in to be checked out and fixed in the next week or two.

My only debate now is being it to the dealership or to an independent mechanic that I've used before - he seemed pretty good and was cheaper, but there is something about his shop that makes me wonder.... That said, if it is the clutch, or any of the other options above, those are ask pretty standard fair for a shop, right?

I'm probably replacing the car next spring, but still don't want a ticking time bomb installed !

Sent from my Galaxy S3
only time I would take it too a dealership is if it is software/computer related, other wise there is nothing on this car different then any other car.

·
Registered
2,137 Posts
Maybe clogged breather box? Take the oil cap off while the car is running and see if the noise goes away when you do that.

·
Registered
2,124 Posts
You really need to determine if the noise is related to clutch position, or if that is a red herring.

If noise is clutch position related, the smart money will be on the throwout bearing.

There is a VERY remote chance that it could be the crankshaft thrust bearing, but I have heard of zero cases of this here. This allows the crankshaft to move back and forth slightly with clutch use, and can cause mislignment of drive pulleys and belts, producing a noise. You do not want to know the cost of repair!

·
Registered
2,418 Posts
If it doesn't change with engine speed, then it's not something that rotates with the engine. If it were a bearing, the noise would change according to engine speed. It's something that's a constant speed, or voltage for the matter. It almost sounds like an electrical whining noise. But in all honesty, it sounds like the radiator fan. That bearing doesn't really change speed, and it stays constant.

Unplug the fan while it's on, see if it goes away.

·
Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Maybe clogged breather box? Take the oil cap off while the car is running and see if the noise goes away when you do that.
Tried that - no change

..... It almost sounds like an electrical whining noise. But in all honesty, it sounds like the radiator fan. That bearing doesn't really change speed, and it stays constant.

Unplug the fan while it's on, see if it goes away.
Thanks for the thought - I was trying to find the plug for the fan and was able to localize the sound a little btter tonight. I never made it to get a stethoscope, but I'm fairly certain the noise is coming from the passanger side of the compartment - from the serpentine belt area. I am REALLY hopefully it is one of those things driven by the belt and not the clutch!

Where would the clutch throwout bearing be located with respect to the engine compartment?

I have an appointment on Wed with my indy mechanic to have him look at it. I did not drive the car today (commuted by bicycle), so I did not get to test the cruise control as suggested earlier. Will test in the am.

Also, when I turned it on to try to localize the noise better tonight, I noticed that it took a few minutes before it started making the noise. Once it did, though, it was constant. It is also the last noise to stop when the engine shuts down. Turning the engine back on makes the noise start up quickly again, so it seems like whatever is making the noise has to heat up a bit before it starts...

I'll keep you all posted. Thanks.

·
Registered
3,758 Posts
The radiator fan isn't on all the time so it wouldn't be making constant noise like recorded especially when parked.

·
Registered
2,124 Posts
If it is NOT changing with clutch position, as described earlier, than it could well be any of the accessory driven devices having a bad bearing, e.g., alternator, AC compressor, idler, etc.

When you state it is the last thing to shut down, it could also be the ECU fan in the black box, which is located on the passenger side of the engine compartment.

The radiator fan also has a shut off delay.

Throw out bearing is in bell housing of engine, and is only a candidate if the clutch position changes the noise.

·
Registered
2,418 Posts
Tried that - no change

Thanks for the thought - I was trying to find the plug for the fan and was able to localize the sound a little btter tonight. I never made it to get a stethoscope, but I'm fairly certain the noise is coming from the passanger side of the compartment - from the serpentine belt area. I am REALLY hopefully it is one of those things driven by the belt and not the clutch!

Where would the clutch throwout bearing be located with respect to the engine compartment?

I have an appointment on Wed with my indy mechanic to have him look at it. I did not drive the car today (commuted by bicycle), so I did not get to test the cruise control as suggested earlier. Will test in the am.

Also, when I turned it on to try to localize the noise better tonight, I noticed that it took a few minutes before it started making the noise. Once it did, though, it was constant. It is also the last noise to stop when the engine shuts down. Turning the engine back on makes the noise start up quickly again, so it seems like whatever is making the noise has to heat up a bit before it starts...

I'll keep you all posted. Thanks.
It's a bit of a stretch, but maybe the fan that's blowing the air out of the ECU box? You said it's on the passenger side...

Or.. Possibly something got lodged into the cold-air inlet and is causing a whistling noise? I have no idea.

These would be two things that wouldn't be reliant on engine RPM.

After watching the video again, I still think it's the radiator fan.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts