SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
442 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When I open the hood of my vehicle (see configuration in my sig line below), for about 90-120 seconds there's a high-pitched "alarm-like" sound, which then stops after that time. What is it, and is it cause for concern? :confused:

Thanks, friends...

·
Registered
130 Posts
When I open the hood of my vehicle (see configuration in my sig line below), for about 90-120 seconds there's a high-pitched "alarm-like" sound, which then stops after that time. What is it, and is it cause for concern? :confused:

Thanks, friends...
I have something similar every time I lock/unlock car, though i would describe it more as a high pitched humming, not alarm like. I never timed it, but your description seems right, as it is way too long.
I was told on this forum that this is normal. Not sure it is the same thing tho...

·
Registered
442 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have something similar every time I lock/unlock car, though i would describe it more as a high pitched humming, not alarm like. I never timed it, but your description seems right, as it is way too long.
I was told on this forum that this is normal. Not sure it is the same thing tho...
I just went outside and checked, and we may be talking about the same thing - I may never have noticed it with the hood closed. Put your ear to your hood the next time you unlock, and then pop your hood, and let me know your findings.

·
Registered
130 Posts
I just went outside and checked, and we may be talking about the same thing - I may never have noticed it with the hood closed. Put your ear to your hood the next time you unlock, and then pop your hood, and let me know your findings.
I will try to do it before weekend but it isn't likely as XC60 is mainly driven by my DW.

This must be a feature of all Seashell Metallic cars :)

·
Registered
191 Posts
in my old 99 xc70 i could hear the humming for a good 10 seconds after engine shut off. then i hear a light clunk. i was told that it is indeed normal and that it was the electronic throttle valve being held open and then closing.

·
Registered
442 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I just heard back from my dealer service advisor (who I also Emailed when I posted this) and he indicated it is indeed most likely the ETM (electronic throttle body) and if so, is indeed normal. Confirms Okihiro's surmise above.

Thanks, friends. :)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts