SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Guys, thanks for your comments. This is the version 2 of the tuning "how to"I've taken the advice of the guys here and left everything for standard tuning flat except for fader and balance. I made a boo boo with the original
, thanks for pointing it out!

1. Bass-dead middle

2. Treble-dead middle

3. Fader, from centre, left 8 notches (-8)-reason being to push the sound to the front and let the rear speakers support the front sound stage. If not you get all the same music reaching you at different timings (no time alignment function) so you will get a slight echo effect.

4. Balance:eek:ne notch to the left to balance out the sound

B) Equalizer settings-To go into the Equalizer settings, go to CD menu (press menu in CD mode), key 1 (CD menu), 4 (audio settings), 1 (front equalizer)

REVISED

60hz (down 2 notches from flat line)
200hz (up 2 from flat)
1k (up 4 from flat)
3k (up 3 from flat)
12k (up 2 from flat)

Rear EQ
60hz (up 2 notches from flat line)
200hz (up 1 from flat)
1k (up 1 from flat)
3k (up 2 from flat)
12k (up 1 from flat)

Reason for difference in rear EQ and front is that the front should give you the staging, while the rear should support the front, so you don't want it to interfere too much.

Thats the closest I've come to achieving the best sound I could with the system.

Modified by Volve at 9:51 PM 1-11-2005

·
Registered
84 Posts
Hi Volve.

You seem to be cancelling out most of the settings you started off with on the std setting? Would you not achieve a smoother graph keeping std as is, (except for fader and balance), and change the EQ settings?

Oh well, another guy throwing 2 cents down.

Modified by zeabre at 2:27 AM 1-7-2005

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Re: (zeabre)

you know, you have a point there. I'll test it out and see if there's a difference. Thanks mate

·
Super Moderator
39,289 Posts
Re: High Performance Sound System EQ Tuning (How to) for S40/V50 (Volve)

I would not touch the bass and treble settings. Just set the front and rear equalizers. I, typically, set them on a "U" pattern (not as drastic of a curve as U but you catch my drift). I like the type of sound I get with this "equalizer graph".

Yannis

·
Premium Member
9,305 Posts
Re: High Performance Sound System EQ Tuning (GrecianVolvo)

I don't believe US models come with the High Peformance sound, which is the "middle" audio option available in Europe. I have the stock audio and can't find any EQ menu in either the FM or CD settings. Is there a trick?

Tom.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Re: High Performance Sound System EQ Tuning (tmtalpey)

yes you need the premium audio package, with that i believe is where you get the equalizer option on the cars computer...via menu...

·
Registered
1,752 Posts
Re: High Performance Sound System EQ Tuning (GrecianVolvo)

Quote, originally posted by GrecianVolvo »
I, typically, set them on a "U" pattern (not as drastic of a curve as U but you catch my drift). I like the type of sound I get with this "equalizer graph".

I haven't touched the EQ settings in my car yet, but I've had my home audio EQ set to that type of curve for a long while now. I like it too.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Re: High Performance Sound System EQ Tuning (mullmann)

when you say U shaped...would you say its 3 nothces up then 2, then 1,,,foloowed by anothr 2 then ending on a 3? reference the first post for the actual eq setting...sorry i'm lazy.....ALSO what type of music are you guys equlaizing for...classical versus hip hop you'd want a different eq...i'm looking for a nice all encompassing setting

·
Registered
592 Posts
Re: High Performance Sound System EQ Tuning (marktheuncola)

Here are the settings my dad came up with to boost the bass. I think it's a great substitute for the subwoofer if you can't/won't spring for the near 4 figures. The sound system has a lot of potential!

1. Enable Dolby Pro Logic II for CD Player

Std Settings

1. Bass: Up (Right) 3 notches
2. Treble: Down (Left) 3 notches
4. Fader: Rear (Right) 3-4 notches (this gives a fuller, more even sound)

Equalizer Settings:
Front.
1. 60 Mhz: Up 4 notches
2. 200Mhz: Up 2 notches
3. 1K: No Change
4. 3K: Down 1 notch
5. 12K: Down 3 notches

Rear:
1. 60Mhz: Up 6 notches
2. 200Mhz: Up 3 notches
3. 1K: No Change
4. 3K: Up 1 notch
5. 12K: Down 2 notches

Let me know how those sound for you!

With this setup, I think it shows you only need the subwoofer if you want the kind of bass that rattles the cars NEXT to you. I certainly see/hear/feel plenty of that here in West LA.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Re: High Performance Sound System EQ Tuning (jailon)

How did you calibrate your ears? How do you know well I hear? This is all bunk! http://********************/smile/emthdown.gif

·
Registered
592 Posts
Re: High Performance Sound System EQ Tuning (wantav50)

Quote, originally posted by wantav50 »
How did you calibrate your ears? How do you know well I hear? (sic) This is all bunk! http://********************/smile/emthdown.gif

Don't you get it Wantav50? Since we posted it on the forum, you HAVE to use them!!!!

Modified by jailon at 1:17 PM 1-12-2005

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Re: (zeabre)

Zeabre, thanks for the advice http://********************/smile/emthup.gif , I was feeling really dumb when I read your post. You are so right, I broke the one of the cardinal rule of tuning the car audio!

Anyway, I had a relook at the entire settings..on a quiet night, engine off, 20CDs and 1 hour later I came up with the above (see 1st post, changes are in bold). Bass is suprisingly good on the high performance such that you don't really miss the sub.

The U shaped configuration is mostly used for stock hi fi sets who don't have a real sub and tweets-hence the boost in low range and high range because these component hi fis don't play these frequencies well..they play mid range audio stuff better.

Bumping up the bass too much leads to excessive door vibration and distortion on the lower range, which IMO is not good if I want to enjoy my music.

Give the above settings a go just for laughs and see how you like it. Again, these things are personal, so do fiddle with it and see what you're comfy with. thanks once again zeabre, owe ya!

·
Registered
165 Posts
Re: (Volve)

volve what sort of music were you listening while tuning...just curious...aftermarket hu's have very different settings for rock/classical/vocal etc....just curious if this was an all around assesment or skewed to one genre

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Re: (marktheuncola)

While its true that in order to get the best sound from each genre of music/each album, the EQ needs to be tweaked, I based it on what I thought was good for general purpose listening....While tuning, off the top of my head, I remember using albums from these artists..
safri duo
blue man group
REM
Sting
Seal
The Eagles
Red Hot Chilli Peppers
Radiohead
Stacy Kent
"Snow Rose"
Ana Caram
Chesky's Ultimate Demonstration Disc
Coldplay
Tim Tamashiro
Frank Sinatra

There were specific things I look out for..eg types of bass response, vibration, tightness, imaging,midrange purity,accuracy of instrument reproduction,male/female vocals blah blah blah...

But do try and see if there are other settings that can improve the sound.. I'll definitely be interested in trying them out

·
Registered
64 Posts
Re: (Volve)

Good topic and input. This is a great forum.
Have mine set near yours, but I like more high frequnecy; too much bass rattles the door speaker in the front and doesn't sound clean at least to me. Wish I had a sub but can or will need to live without it.
Music profile makes a big difference, find I need to change it for each source and genre. I am actually finding I am lowering the bass more fequently.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts