SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all, I hope to get some insight on a strange mystery with the specification sound system on my 08 AWD S40.

I bought the BLP-990A head unit with the high-performance sound level specification. How do I know I have a high-performance sound system? There is an external amplifier at the rear left of the car (in the trunk) and when you go to push the power button, the ICM displays "High Performance Sound".

Well... apparently I don't have high performance sound according to BP support because my main wire harness that routes to the IAM has speaker wires which would mean the internal Amp in the IAM is used.

(Refer to pic in attachment)

Unknowingly, I connected both wire harnesses as instructed for high-performance sound but for basic sound, you aren't supposed to connect the male cable on the A harness.

Essentially, because my main harness had speaker wires, I basically connected two amps to one set of speakers and you can guess what happened to the BLP unit....

So, my only question is... why TF does my main cable harness have speaker wires when I have an external amplifier and the car says it has a high-performance sound system? I checked the cable harness for a high-performance sound system and as you can see in this video:

https://youtu.be/miwwNP_4ZiU

Apparently it only has two pins that are connected to the main harness which I assume would run to the amp...

Any insight on this is much appreciated!

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,489 Posts
It is confusing as Volvo had several variants. Also, it seems that BP doesn't always ship the proper harness and you have to request it from them. It sounds like you have the High Performance system.

My 2005 V50 has the Performance sound system (aka Basic) and has the external amp in the left rear quarter. There are some Performance (Basic) systems that have the amp built into the CD player in the dash. I have been thinking about a BLP-990A and asked BP which I should order. They said the High Performance. I look forward to hearing how it goes for you and how it sounds.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It is confusing as Volvo had several variants. Also, it seems that BP doesn't always ship the proper harness and you have to request it from them. It sounds like you have the High Performance system.

My 2005 V50 has the Performance sound system (aka Basic) and has the external amp in the left rear quarter. There are some Performance (Basic) systems that have the amp built into the CD player in the dash. I have been thinking about a BLP-990A and asked BP which I should order. They said the High Performance. I look forward to hearing how it goes for you and how it sounds.
Hi AutoGeek, thanks for your reply. I sent the unit back and I'll let you know how things go. I still need to ask them what to do even when a new unit arrives because I'm worried that the same thing will happen again because of the External amp. In fact, I think the amp in the unit was ruined not because of the amp in the OEM CD player, but the external one in the back. And I dont recall that our cars have two amps, one in the rear and one in the CD player, that wouldn't make sense? So clearly that BLP unit I had conflicted with the amp in the back but BP is saying that it was the one in the OEM so I'm confused. But let's see what happened to the damaged unit and then I'll ask... because it's not as clear as you'd expect it to be, unfortunately.

·
Registered
2,489 Posts
.... And I dont recall that our cars have two amps, one in the rear and one in the CD player, that wouldn't make sense? ...

No, the amp is either in the back or build into the CD player and not both.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Update guys, a new harness was received by BP and they basically cut out the speaker wires coming out of the unit to prevent further short circuiting.

It's kind of a pain putting everything back together (took me the whole day) but it was worth it.

One thing I noted, the wifi doesn't support the 5GHz band which is a bit disappointing for the price... but not a real huge deal. (When trying to connect to the BlackVue dashcam app, it said the mode on the camera needs to be set to 2GHz Wifi as the BP unit doesnt have 5Ghz support)

But... this is definently a step up from stock.

·
Registered
2007 Volvo S40 T5 AWD
70 Posts
Update guys, a new harness was received by BP and they basically cut out the speaker wires coming out of the unit to prevent further short circuiting.

It's kind of a pain putting everything back together (took me the whole day) but it was worth it.

One thing I noted, the wifi doesn't support the 5GHz band which is a bit disappointing for the price... but not a real huge deal. (When trying to connect to the BlackVue dashcam app, it said the mode on the camera needs to be set to 2GHz Wifi as the BP unit doesnt have 5Ghz support)

But... this is definently a step up from stock.

This looks pretty sweet! The one thing that we lack are videos showing the full functionality of the system. Would you be willing to record a few clips showing the use of the rearview camera, climate control system, etc?

It'd be much appreciated!

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5010 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
This looks pretty sweet! The one thing that we lack are videos showing the full functionality of the system. Would you be willing to record a few clips showing the use of the rearview camera, climate control system, etc?

It'd be much appreciated!

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5010 using Tapatalk
Hey isantana21,

I can get you some footage of the system and if anyone has questions about it, I can answer. I'll try to post something by this week. As for the backup camera, I forgot to plug the yellow cable in (lol) so it says no video signal when I back up... however... the fact that the unit knows I'm backing up and automatically switches to the video camera is pretty neat!

Otherwise, I can demo everything else :)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts