SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
High Mileage 2002 T5?

After mulling over a BMW 530 (can’t afford that and a second car), then looking at a BMW 323 then considering a Mercedes-Benz CLK 230 I’ve decided that I am looking to buy a Volvo S60 T5.<p>This was not a simple decision; I’ve not even yet tried this for a test drive.<p>I’ve looked at a lot of information about all the above cars and the S60 not only looks great, but has even more performance of the above.<p>Unfortunately I’m not in a situation to even consider a new car and have to look at the second hand market. As such I can only afford a 2002 Volvo S60 T5 with around 80’000 miles on the clock.<p>Now as much as I would like this I could easily afford an S60 2.0T with 40’000 miles but as such I would prefer the performance of the T5, plus I’ve heard the engine and it is lovely. I travel 50 miles to work each way and the sound of the T5 will make that journey more enjoyable.<p>My question is quite simple. Should I get the T5 with the high mileage and what should I expect? Is this going to be a money pit? Will it just suck me dry? Are there any major problems expected to occur. Remember I expect to put over 20’000 miles a year on this car.<p>I guess the 2.0T with 40’000 makes more sense, far more sense due to the mileage, but that T5 is so tempting.<p>(Oh and I don’t want a diesel and already ruled this out a long time ago.)<p>Please help me with my decision so I make the best choice and join the army of Volvo drivers.<BR><BR>
<i>Modified by Ravage at 4:39 AM 4-13-2006</i>

·
Registered
773 Posts
Re: High Mileage 2002 T5? (Ravage)

I bought an '01 with 90,000 miles, and haven't regretted it. But this car was well maintained from the beginning by the first, and only other, owner.<p>Things to watch for:<br>1. Electronic throttle module - you may have seen posts about this, doesn't apply to your car - good news.<br>2. oil leak from the turbo oil return line to the oil pan. Minor problem, can be easily fixed with a seal and a gasket.<br>3. torque bushing on the top of the motor. Mounted from the horizontal brace at the rear of the engine, it will deteriorate slowly, and eventually break. It is a round bushing on a housing on the top of the head. Check it carefully, if broken, it will have hairline cracks in the rubber. Aftermarket has replacements that don't wear out, but may transmit slightly more vibration into car. Dealer also has new replacement, which is a cross shaped bushing, instead of round, and then you replace the entire bracket on the engine. Cost, about $80-90 for the new bracket. Replaced it myself, and did it in less than an hour, taking my time.<br>4. some complain of problem with A/C, I've not seen that on my car. Usually leak in system.<br>5. check alignment, if out, it will wander.<br>occasionally, the strut bushings may wear out prematurely, and that will result in groaning sounds on turns. Easy check, see if the nut on top of the strut in engine compartment turns. If so, time to replace part of mount. If no turn, ignore it.<br>6. reports of clanking sounds from front end. Typically it is the links between the strut and the sway bar, the balljoint is wearing. Replacements available from dealer and IPD had heavy duty replacement that is supposed to be far superior. NOT a serious problem, just annoying until you diagnose it.<p>Check the forum for other comments, but I think these are the majority of the one mentioned.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Re: High Mileage 2002 T5? (wizzard_al)

So not so bad then. Just general issues.<br>Looks like it's still on the cards.

·
Registered
107 Posts
I've got 111K on my T5. The front suspension bushings wear out by about this time. I just replaced the lower control arms (did it myself, easier to do the entire arm than press out the bushings) I also replaced the balljoints, and I will need struts and upper strut mounts soon. The top engine bushing wears pretty quickly, but it's been redesigned. The swaybar endlinks also wear pretty quickly. There are longer wearing versions of these parts available from iPd and the like. <p>I had the 105K mile service done, which replaced the timing belt. That's a great tbelt interval! They found leaky return seals from the turbo and took care of that. All in all, they're not too bad. T5's have 17" rims, which can be rather prone to bending depending on the condition of your roads. <p>I think they're great cars, though.

·
Registered
773 Posts
Re: (MAProTulz)

some T5's have 16" rims. MIne is one of them.<p>You notice rubbing of the tires on the inner fender liner with the big tires, but this is a known situation, and doesn't seem to cause any problems.

·
Registered
11,933 Posts
Re: (MAProTulz)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD><i>Quote, originally posted by <b>MAProTulz</b> »</i></TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I've got 111K on my T5. The front suspension bushings wear out by about this time. I just replaced the lower control arms (did it myself, easier to do the entire arm than press out the bushings) </TD></TR></TABLE><p>You must baby your car, usually some suspension parts go bad much earlier (like sway-bar end links). I had some stuff replaced around 60K miles (under CPO warranty) to fix a clunk noise... clunk came back though... but the front end did feel "tighter" handling-wise.

·
Registered
3,254 Posts
Re: (Warpedcow)

My '04 T5 has been hassle free but only has 28K miles. Nice engine and you're right about the performance vs. those other cars you're considering. You won't be dissapointed with this car. Only other car you may want to consider if you're looking for performance in this price range on a used car would be Audi 2.7T.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts