SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Guys,

Just wondering what people had for high miles on their S60's. I am only a few hundred miles away from 200,000 miles on my 02 S60 T5M. is there anything big i should do at these miles? I do have a list of things to fix which include control arm bushings, my DIM is failing, and something is clunking in the back (not sway bar links), and exhaust leak

Some stuff that broke in my 22K miles of ownership.

Yaw sensor
Climate Control
Clutch (slave cylinder)
M56 (differential bearing let go)
Smashed sunroof from hail
Crankshaft position sensor
and some other stuff i cant remember!

Anyways i just wanted to share that my car is a few hundred miles off of 200K. It still runs and pulls strong and is always a blast to drive.

What kind of high mileage do you guys have?

·
Registered
1,141 Posts
175k just did 250 miles today. zero dim or check engine issues the 30k i owned it. maybe because i take care of it.

I do have some tranny issues but it still going through every gear

I replaced a lot too. Brakes feel perfect....

·
Registered
1,738 Posts
Just be happy you have a manual and drive the piss out of it. But yes 200k is a lot of miles you need to make the decision if you want to put more money into it and keep it until it dies or move on to something newer. My vote is always put a little money in and enjoy it, thats cheaper than a car payment!

·
Registered
373 Posts
I'm at 111,390 right now.

I bought it at 64k miles. Since then I've only ever had the MAF go bad. However I have kept up on all the maintenance. Timing belt, plugs, acc. belt, shocks, springs, etc. I plan on keeping it till it gets too costly to repair (3k+)

·
Registered
3,306 Posts
Consider yourself lucky. You probably bought the car for peanuts (5k or less). Mine has less miles (96k now) and have encountered most of your problems in my ~50k miles of ownership.

Do you mind sharing some info on that YAW sensor? What does it control and how do you know if its bad?

·
Registered
1,140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Consider yourself lucky. You probably bought the car for peanuts (5k or less). Mine has less miles (96k now) and have encountered most of your problems in my ~50k miles of ownership.

Do you mind sharing some info on that YAW sensor? What does it control and how do you know if its bad?
I was lucky! it is my first car and i still love it. I picked it up for just 3600, and it had no problems at all whatsoever.

and my yaw sensor died because the molding at the bottom of my windshield was cracked, but the crack was only visible after i took the molding off. i thought it was the sunroof drain for the longest time because i didn't know what else it could be. Finding a new yaw sensor the real problem though. they go for 400-500 brand new, but i got one for 50 from England.

as for your SRS light, my little message window (when it works) says Airbag service urgent or whatever. but the airbag light itself isnt on. Also, all my gauges and lights on my DIM shut off like 20 times while I'm driving, which gets annoying.

Have you replaced your clutch yet? im interested to see how many miles people get out of their clutches. I had to replace mine at 184K miles, but my car was all highway so it could have been original. my flywheel also had to be replaced when i replaced my transmission last month, a $2,000 job all together, and thats just in parts!!

·
Registered
3,306 Posts
as for your SRS light, my little message window (when it works) says Airbag service urgent or whatever. but the airbag light itself isnt on. Also, all my gauges and lights on my DIM shut off like 20 times while I'm driving, which gets annoying.

Have you replaced your clutch yet? im interested to see how many miles people get out of their clutches. I had to replace mine at 184K miles, but my car was all highway so it could have been original. my flywheel also had to be replaced when i replaced my transmission last month, a $2,000 job all together, and thats just in parts!!
Hmm never thought of that, i dont have the "light" on either, just the display message. Mine just has a wacky clock, SRS light, and once it went off three or four times.

I did replace my clutch, but i was a bonehead about it and thought putting an R clutch in there would be better. The measurements must not be exactly the same, so its not quite "right". I have put around 30-40k on that clutch but i have given it hell though. If you don't beat on the car(spinning tires, racing from dead stop, etc) i dont see why they wouldnt last 150-200k miles or more. When i took mine out at ~68k it looked great except for the brake fluid on the inner diameter of the disk.

I have been meaning to take it back apart and put a new flywheel and t5 clutch back in for a year or two now, but other stuff has been occupying my time, money, etc.

·
Registered
52 Posts
I am at 138K right now, having owned it since 27K. Just normal wear and tear items except for some very minor items. If I was looking at 200K I would make sure the timing belt and related items were done, suspension was replaced - at least struts, and - t-rods. Trans service up to date? Plugs? Brake fluid replaced? Drive it like you stole it!!:D

·
Registered
785 Posts
Seamus- I am curious to what brand of engine oil and weight you run and your oil consumption rate. Also is your car still on the original engine ?

·
Registered
1,140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Car is still on the original engine and runs great. I do have to add some oil, maybe a quart per thousand miles. I am doing an oil change this weekend and am going to use 5W-30 Mobil 1 synthetic high mileage. I might be losing oil from switching to synthetic when i bought it, since idk if it had regular oil in for its previous miles. But i dont see any visual leaks, and i replaced the rear main seal so i should be good there.

My struts seem really good, like they were replaced before i got the car, but im not 100% sure. The are very stiff and the car never bounces. A suspension refresh is MUCH needed, but im a broke college student, and i drive 60 miles to the airport for flight training 3 times a week, so the rest of my money's going to gas haha :(

these engines will really go forever though! I cant say the same about the transmissions though, even the M56. I know it's a strong tranny, but my old one sounded like a machine gun when i drove it, and the gears were never ground, and it was rarely driven hard. and my new one (82K miles on it) has an input shaft bearing noise, but not all the time so it doesnt bother me that much.

and my T-belt was done at 137K miles i think, so i should be good there as well.

Now, if volvo would just give me all new free suspension parts and a new DIM for dumping ALL of my money into this car.... It was definitely worth it though!

·
Registered
3,306 Posts
wowza thats a lot of oil. Checked your OTE pipe lately? Any white smoke out of the exhaust? not even on a cold start?

·
Registered
1,140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Nope no smoke ever, I had my ote pipe off for my trans. last month and it wasn't bad at all. Maybe it's more than 1000 miles per quart I don't really keep track cause I don't need to add that much.

After I do my oil change this weekend I'll keep track.

·
Registered
4,640 Posts
I'm at 195,000 miles and not thinking much about the mileage. I have had this car for 6 years, had 28,000 on it when I bought it. Beat on it daily and it's as good as it was when I first got it. Not burning oil as far as I can tell, recently moved from Mobil 1 to Mobil 1 High Mileage just in case.

Actual Failures in order that they happened:

Alternator
Bevel Gear
DIM
Radiator
DEM

·
Registered
1,140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
wow, i'd say you're lucky with that driving style and the amount of miles you have, except for the bevel gear and DEM. Im surprised your transmission held up so well.

Does anyone know of a good tire thats cheap? I know the Continental DWS seems popular, but I'm a broke college student, however i cant have my DSTC light flashing and cutting power whenever i accelerate in the rain or take an exit a little fast...

·
Registered
4,640 Posts
My trans is like butter, change the Mobil 3309 regularly and it's fine.

Your T5M cuts power under DTSC??? That sucks man. I really like the Falken 452 tire, excellent traction in wet and dry, good high speed stability and decent treadwear.

·
Registered
1,140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I was checking out these tires https://www.onlinetires.com/product...235%2F45-17+achilles+atr+sport+97w+xl+bw.html

they have really good reviews and seems to last a while, so ill probably get them.

And yes, my DSTC is awful haha. If im flooring it in the snow it wont go above 1500 RPMs in 1st gear. And i cant shut if off quickly either because i have a used CCM that has an STC button instead of DSTC. But its fine for me cause it saved me from understeering into things at least 2 times (one time was on ice)

1 - 16 of 16 Posts