SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Should we get a T6 or T8 XC90 for our high mileage daily commute? Our daily commute is 138 miles mostly highway (70 mph), including 35 miles of city driving split evenly among three opportunities to charge (details below). We haven't been able to test drive the T8 because it's not in stock.

Here is my expected mpg comparison excluding electricity cost (totally hypothetical based on guesses):
* T6: 35 city miles/18 mpg + 103 highway miles/26 mpg = 23.4 mpg (1 fillup every 3.2 trips with 18.8 gallon tank)
* T8: 35 city miles electric + 103 highway miles/25 mpg = 33.5 mpg (1 fillup every 3.2 trips with 13.2 gallon tank)
Is this realistic or would the T8 not perform like this?

So it looks like for us we'll be stopping for gas the same frequency, but will get <10 mpg more with the T8. At $3.60/gallon, we'd be saving $6.50 per day in fuel or about $1700/year. Over 5 years that's $8500. The T8 costs $7.4k more after tax credits and rebates. This means the total cost is basically a wash after 5 years accounting for electricity.

It seems to me like we should get the T6 in this case since there is no $$ savings but the T6 will surely be more reliable. Added power/quiet around town don't seem worth the tradeoff.

Do others agree/disagree?

=== More details/questions ===

What is the mpg for the T8 when in "battery hold" mode on the highway? I would assume it is slightly worse than the T6 due to same engine/more weight? I've read the T6 gets about 26 mpg on the highway.

Commute details:
<charge overnight>
Leg #1: 12 miles, averaging about 27 mph. (~14 stop signs, 2 lights, stretches up to 45 mph)
<charge for 3 hours>
Leg #2: 13 miles of city driving, 52.5 miles of highway driving @ 70 mph
<charge for 3 hours>
Leg #3: 9 miles of city driving, 42 miles of highway driving @ 70 mpg, 10 miles @ 25-50 mph

·
Registered
1,255 Posts
T8 performance depends a lot on weather and average speed. I did not get anywhere near those numbers. Over about 26k miles, my average mpg was 25.6. My daily commute is short, about 13 miles. But I did take a large number of long trips. And here is the rub. In the summertime, on a 500 mile drive, I would get 27-29 mpg. In the winter, on the same route, I was lucky if I was breaking 15 mpg. Same speed (avg about 70-75 mph).

And with a small tank you will go nuts. No way you can break 300 miles on a tank with your commute. You will be filling up one day yes, one day not. But why are you talking about the 13 gallon tank? Are you thinking of a 2017 or earlier? Because, afterwards, the tank was increased to 19 gallons.

If you are going by pure economics, there is no way to justify the T8 under your scenario.

·
Registered
6,912 Posts
MY2019 T8 now gets 18gal tank. So it has longer range than T6 for your case.

But for your commute distance, a CPO car with extended CPO warranty to 8 year/ unlimited milage would be better.

Since you can charge 3 times and drive 54 miles a day on battery, it also helps extend the lifetime of the car by 50% because engine and transmission only runs 2/3 of your commute. If T6 engine lasts to 200k miles, T8 car can lasts to 300k miles.

So T8 is better than T6 to me.

Sent from my Z978 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
28 Posts
i have a my19 t8. after 22k km i have 7.1l/100km ...with 0 baterry i experienced an average 11l/100km with 135km/h and 9l/100km with 115km/h...on a trip last month of 800km i encountered heavy snow with strong winds and use power or constant awd and had 13.5l/100km

·
Registered
1,157 Posts
I am certainly one for getting a green car. However, given your situation I would recommend against that. Here is why. You will drive at 138 miles per day of a commute approximately 34,500 or so miles per year. Add to this any other driving you might do. So you are up there in mileage. Within three years you will hit 103,000 miles. In five years you will hit 172,500. There is not enough of a savings in my mind to spend the extra money on the T8. Now if you can write off your car then perhaps we are talking something different here. The Fed will still allow you to accelerate depreciation for a vehicle that exceeds 6000 lbs. which the T8 does. That would net you around $38,000 in depreciation your first year. You will end up with a car that has very little value remaining. The question is will it keep on going so that your drive is not interrupted by breakdowns. If you want to really save money then I would recommend that you get a all electric vehicle. You will need to consider the cost of electricity. Even without solar panels on your roof, you can easily charge at home for around $0.14 kwh and you would probably have a car with approximately 60 to 75 kwh battery. That will net you around a 275 mile range give or take. That would really drive your cost of driving down. The question is do you like any of the offerings available. Getting a used Tesla will net you free supercharging so consider that if you are within the vicinity. Lots of stuff to think about. Really prioritize what is important in a car for driving to and from work. As for charging no one I know every stops for 3 hours to charge. The only sensible way to charge is at your destination. So that means getting a charge prior to leaving getting a charge at your destination then recharging once you are home.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thank you, everyone. 9l/100km with 0 battery = 25 mpg (which matches my assumption for T8). Google misinformed me about the fuel tank capacity. I live in Northern California where temperatures rarely go below 32 degrees F, so I don't think we'll suffer from low winter mileage. Recalculating with 18.5 gallon tank for the 2019 T8:

* T6: 35 city miles/18 mpg + 103 highway miles/26 mpg = 23.4 mpg (1 fillup every 3.2 trips with 18.8 gallon tank)
* T8: 35 city miles electric + 103 highway miles/25 mpg = 33.5 mpg (1 fillup every 4.5 trips with 18.5 gallon tank). Also, decreased reliability is partially offset by reduced engine and transmission usage (other components still get mile-for-mile wear). I still expect it would be less reliable overall because of added components and electronics but that's just a guess.

It's tempting to choose the T8 with the larger fuel tank. In this case it would mean saving us 23 trips to the gas station per year.

CPO is tempting but we want to choose our options, have the latest safety features and new car comfort. I searched and only one CPO car in the whole country has those options. Supposing we buy that car -- what's better, an unlimited miles warranty for 5 years on a T6 or 23 fewer gas station visits per year in a T8 (one fewer every 2 weeks)? I'm thinking the warranty is better here.

Are regular commute miles eligible for depreciation? Unfortunately there are no all electric vehicles that meet our needs -- we want 40+ cubic feet for cargo, which the Tesla does not meet.

One idea we are toying with is leasing a second car with less cargo space since we need a second car anyway. Two leased cars at 15k/year would cover most of our mileage if we rotate them. One car could be smaller, perhaps an EV (Polestar or Audi anyone?). Or maybe CPO XC90 for one car and leased Polestar for the second when they are released? Not sure if this would be cost-effective.

·
Registered
6,912 Posts
Thank you, everyone. 9l/100km with 0 battery = 25 mpg (which matches my assumption for T8). Google misinformed me about the fuel tank capacity. I live in Northern California where temperatures rarely go below 32 degrees F, so I don't think we'll suffer from low winter mileage. Recalculating with 18.5 gallon tank for the 2019 T8:

* T8: 35 city miles electric + 103 highway miles/25 mpg = 33.5 mpg (1 fillup every 4.5 trips with 18.5 gallon tank). Also, decreased reliability is partially offset by reduced engine and transmission usage (other components still get mile-for-mile wear). I still expect it would be less reliable overall because of added components and electronics but that's just a guess.

It's tempting to choose the T8 with the larger fuel tank. In this case it would mean saving us 23 trips to the gas station per year.

CPO is tempting but we want to choose our options, have the latest safety features and new car comfort. I searched and only one CPO car in the whole country has those options. Supposing we buy that car -- what's better, an unlimited miles warranty for 5 years on a T6 or 23 fewer gas station visits per year in a T8 (one fewer every 2 weeks)? I'm thinking the warranty is better here.

Are regular commute miles eligible for depreciation? Unfortunately there are no all electric vehicles that meet our needs -- we want 40+ cubic feet for cargo, which the Tesla does not meet.

One idea we are toying with is leasing a second car with less cargo space since we need a second car anyway. Two leased cars at 15k/year would cover most of our mileage if we rotate them. One car could be smaller, perhaps an EV (Polestar or Audi anyone?). Or maybe CPO XC90 for one car and leased Polestar for the second when they are released? Not sure if this would be cost-effective.
For T8, you will drive about 50 miles on battery regardless on city or highway because you will charge it 3 times a day.
So the fuel saving is a little more than you calculated.

For warranty, new car gets up to only 120k miles/8yr extended warranty. Only CPO gets unlimited miles for 5 years that can be extended to 10 years.

For maintenance on brake pads/rotors, T8 actually could be cheaper because brake pads/rotors last much longer than T6.
The tires on T8 will be a little shorter life though, due to the heavier car.

Seems now you can get T8 off dealer's lot at price quite close to or even lower than T6 after tax credit. If you are fine with a few possible visits to dealership due to hybrid repairs, T8 seems to be the winner.

·
Registered
1,157 Posts
Well no you can not deduct commuting miles. If you were going to see a business and you work from home then yes. Also charging at 3 hours may not completely charge the battery.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts