SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello folks,

I have a 2004 XC70. Both headlights have a bulb that never turns on. iPd indicates they are high beams. They are halogen, so not the xenon style that has low and high combined. The inner bulbs never turn on, however with the headlight switch in 12oclock and turn signal lever pulled back the relay clicks and the high beam indicator comes on, and the headlights swivel up, but NO BULB actually comes on in addition to the low beam.

Am I correct in thinking these are high beams? If not, what are they?

All fuses seem fine.

I am on mobile and cannot figure out how to attach a photo. Here is a link to my headlight photo.

https://i.imgur.com/LqCMXwb.jpg

·
Registered
17,314 Posts
You have XENON headlights.

Those are the DRL light in the xenons, they only light with main beam off on xenon equipped cars. Someone put those xenons on your halogen car.

·
Registered
17,314 Posts
Put halogen lights back on the car. Or, buy the aux driving light kit and put some dedicated highs on and keep the xenons.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I also own a VIDA tool. Is it possible for me to somehow switch it to xenon mode? I don't know if I should switch to halogen because I would need to buy new headlights plus new wiring, all of it is for xenon.

·
Registered
17,314 Posts
That car would be complaining a lot if those xenons did not belong there. Plus, the beam swivels up on high, so they're working.
Not necessarily true. I put xenons on two cars that were halogen and have no issues. High beam doesnt swivel its a focal length change on the reflector via cam. Doesnt need to be a xenon car for that to work.

·
Registered
17,314 Posts
I also own a VIDA tool. Is it possible for me to somehow switch it to xenon mode? I don't know if I should switch to halogen because I would need to buy new headlights plus new wiring, all of it is for xenon.
The wiring is the same xenon and non xenon cars. There is an adapter harness that is used on the light to main harness.

Check the bulbs in the DRL position. They should be 9005XS strait base.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
OK, did some more searching online and on my car. Turns out those are daytime running lights when in the auto switch position. I had to shine a bright light on the sensor and it seems to be working correctly now. I'm thinking the sensor was "sleeping" or something from a dead battery or lack of use. Now those halogens come on during the day like they should.

They do not come on in the headlight 12 position. Only the xenon's swivel up. Not the brightest high beams but whatever I suppose. From what I have read it's a stupid design but correct operation wise.

Thanks for the help guys.

·
Registered
63,543 Posts
Let me explain as all you're getting here is some seriously incorrect info.
The P2 Xenon in US form is basically a light that doesn't function.
Because the real (EURO) high beam IS that separate halogen (with a different reflector and bulb), that Volvo NA and the factory used for the DRL's.

Your high beam consists of the main xenon light flipping up a bit and that's IT!

Volvo thought that we US buyers would be content with that, a low beam bulb and reflector just flipping up a little.
Being a low beam pattern, instead of shining down the road, we get (for the lack of a better description), a beam pattern spread wide like a low beam should do but it's no good for here.

If they are not flipping up, that's a different problem.
Feel free to message me for farther details.

I had a very early 2004, I was fighting with VCNA way back in June of 2003 about all this, stating we could not see and would they do anything about it. After a week or two they got back to me stating, while not perfect, it would work "OK" if you weren't driving too fast!

Who are they to tell us how we should drive. They're in No. NJ, they didn't try to drive it in say Montana, where you can drive fast for 100 miles while hardly seeing much of anything.

The only thing you can do that works is to buy a set of Euro lights. VERY expensive at about 12-$1300 EACH. One small wire has to be connected and a VIDA adjustment is all you would need.
I had a pair in my 2006 V70R and the difference was night and day. You still have the flipped up Xenons and a very bright Halogen pin point spotlight for the real or Aux. high beam that shines far down the road

·
Registered
17,314 Posts
Let me explain as all you're getting here is some seriously incorrect info.
The P2 Xenon in US form is basically a light that doesn't function.
Because the real (EURO) high beam IS that separate halogen (with a different reflector and bulb), that Volvo NA and the factory used for the DRL's.

Your high beam consists of the main xenon light flipping up a bit and that's IT!

Volvo thought that we US buyers would be content with that, a low beam bulb and reflector just flipping up a little.
Being a low beam pattern, instead of shining down the road, we get (for the lack of a better description), a beam pattern spread wide like a low beam should do but it's no good for here.

If they are not flipping up, that's a different problem.
Feel free to message me for farther details.

I had a very early 2004, I was fighting with VCNA way back in June of 2003 about all this, stating we could not see and would they do anything about it. After a week or two they got back to me stating, while not perfect, it would work "OK" if you weren't driving too fast!

Who are they to tell us how we should drive. They're in No. NJ, they didn't try to drive it in say Montana, where you can drive fast for 100 miles while hardly seeing much of anything.

The only thing you can do that works is to buy a set of Euro lights. VERY expensive at about 12-$1300 EACH. One small wire has to be connected and a VIDA adjustment is all you would need.
I had a pair in my 2006 V70R and the difference was night and day. You still have the flipped up Xenons and a very bright Halogen pin point spotlight for the real or Aux. high beam that shines far down the road
Euro lights are available cheap, used. However the preferred method now is to retrofit DOT lights with DRL/High led modules for cheap OR get the aux light kit and throw some driving lights of your choosing on. The focal length change that creates the “high beam” is easily defeated just by unplugging the cam activator this giving you steady xenon lows and a true high beam. Easy. A bunch of us have done it successfully both on factory xenon equipped and halogen retrofitted to xenon cars.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Im perfectly happy with the US xenon's. They light the road. Not particularly well, but they work. I was worried my lights were hacked and and broken or something. It's a new to me car and I wanted to be sure they worked and now I know they work properly. Not complaining at all. Thanks for the EU light info.

·
Registered
1,836 Posts
Thank god they finally improved the xenon's for later years (09 ABL) , these are so much better, especially compared to a a base model 2001

1 - 14 of 14 Posts