SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So a semi threw a rock at me and cracked the headlight casing on the passenger side. I snagged a new set of headlights from the forum but not before driving to work in the rain caused "low beam bulb failure" and the light stopped working.

Tonight I put in the new light, got it all back together and.... nothing. The light still doesn't work. I tested on either side and the light I got is good, for some reason my car won't run the light on the passenger side. I checked the fuses and they are all fine, the bulb is fine and the new headlight is fine. I tried disconnecting the battery for a few minutes but it didn't solve it.

Does anyone have any ideas? Does this mean my wiring harness is shot? Do I need Vida to re-initialize the HID on that side after it detected a fault? Does anyone know which prongs to test with a multi-meter to see if the plug going to that headlight is live? I'm open to trying things, I just can't think of anything.

·
Registered
3,389 Posts
Failed ballast attached to the bottom of the headlamp? Moisture likely leaked from the headlamp down to the ballast.

Options:
1.) dry out the ballast with alcohol. Don't use rubbing alcohol, rather the 90%+ pure stuff.
2.) replace ballast with used one available on eBay for about $100.
3.) replace ballast with new one from stealership for an arm and a leg.

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I swapped it with a full new headlight. If I plug it into the drivers side it comes on if I plug it into the passenger side it stays off.

·
Registered
3,389 Posts
Did you swap the bulb, the ballast, or the entire headlamp assembly?

Here's a video. Start about the 16:30 mark.

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Did you swap the bulb, the ballast, or the entire headlamp assembly?
Entire headlight assembly. It works plugged into the drivers side, doesn't plugged into the passenger side.

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
According to this it says when you order a new headlight assembly you need a new wiring harness. Has anyone else experienced this?

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Did you check the fuse?
Yeah, as far as I could tell the fuses aren't side-dependent and all the ones I checked were fine.

·
Registered
1,752 Posts
H
According to this it says when you order a new headlight assembly you need a new wiring harness. Has anyone else experienced this?
I bought 2 used R headlights to replace the messesd up cracked ones on my 04, and both of them just plugged right in and worked no other BS.

·
Registered
2,199 Posts
If both lights work on one side and neither do on the other, it's a wiring problem. I'd get out the meter and start testing connectors to find the one that's not working. I've never seen a headlight reset inside VIDA but I've never looked either, it's possible I guess. If you don't have VIDA, try an ECM reset after reconnecting the replacement headlights.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts