SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

Registered
If you're talking about installing xenons in the low-beams: don't do it. If you're talking about adding xenons in the high-beams, I'd say overall mixed results. Some are more happy with it, some say the reflectors are made for halogens and that xenons will give a weird spread. I had xenons in my high-beams and I swapped them for regular halogens because they illuminated further but less to the sides. Though the biggest advantage is that if you for what-ever reason have your headlights ice up, get frosty or something, you can just run the high-beams for a minute or two and the heat will clear the glass nicely. Very useful imo.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you. I have heard that the factory reflectors are not ideal for HID's. That being said, does anyone know of any projector headlights that fit these cars? I believe they are much better suited to HID's. Thoughts?

Registered
Thank you. I have heard that the factory reflectors are not ideal for HID's. That being said, does anyone know of any projector headlights that fit these cars? I believe they are much better suited to HID's. Thoughts?
You could do a retrofit, or get someone to do one for you. I know a few people who have had this done for other vehicles, you buy the housings from a wrecker or dealership then send them off to get professionally refit with projectors. Often costly but a good alternative.

HID's without projectors are a very dumb idea from a safety and courtesy to other drivers.

You could always go the OEM route but I believe most dealerships quote in the $3-4,000 range if they'll even do it at all (requires significant rewiring).

I know when we were purchasing it was highly recommended to get the Bi-Xenon upgrade due to visibility + the cost to do it afterwards. It was a $1,000 option that I do not regret for a second.

Registered
i second the retrofit idea. My brother does retrofits and for a a few hundred dollars you end up with light output better than the oem xenons (which aren't that great imo).

Registered
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I think a retrofit sounds like a great idea. Do you have an idea what the cost for the retrofit would run(excluding HID bulb, ballast, etc)?

Registered
I think a retrofit sounds like a great idea. Do you have an idea what the cost for the retrofit would run(excluding HID bulb, ballast, etc)?
not quite sure, i think it varies quite a bit from 300-500. I've done one before in my supra, years ago and it wasn't too difficult. There's plenty of guides online on how to open your housings and what not. Most people buy their parts from theretrofitsource.com (the site is currently down for new years updates)

Here's a video of how to open your housings https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=anN0vYBj6Uo

Here's another one of installing the projectors https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PRP5Uxe-BkU

Registered
2016 xc60 hid upgrade

Hi,
I just replaced the factory halogens on my 2016 xc60 with oem hids. The lights come on when the car is started but then go out immediately and the message center shows a low beam malfunction message. Is anyone familiar with this issue? I could surely appreciate the help. thanks.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts