SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking at an 06 s40 parts car and may want to swap the HID over to my 05 V50 what all do I need from the HID car ?

·
Banned
1,958 Posts
The entire headlight assembly probably, so that you're not scattering light and blinding on coming traffic.

I'm tired of these Jeep arseholes with their upgraded light bars and hid KITS that are NOT DOT approved because their headlight was not designed for a HID light with a cut off pattern.

Some of these Jeep and large truck drivers are selfish douchebags. The white American male cannot disappear soon enough.

·
Registered
129 Posts
You need the lights, and the harness. By harness I mean the entire front (engine) wiring harness. They are different part numbers for the whole harness between the halogen to HID to HID w/ active bending. Volvo does some very interesting things with power routing and grounding depending on what lights are supposed to be in the car.
You could get the associated computers, but either way you'll need a software download from the dealer for them to work.

I can't remember off hand anyone actually successfully completing the full swap because of the huge amount of work, cost, and interconectivity built into the cars from Volvo via CANbus.

·
Super Moderator
9,305 Posts
Don't forget the suspension position sensors, possibly the whole CEM, and most importantly the software.

Your best bet is to bypass all the Volvo integration and install an aftermarket HID kit. But remember, the halogen headlights are PCM-driven, which creates any number of issues in itself. Read up here.

·
Registered
621 Posts
Consider the following: software upgrades are available for items which are planned to be retro-fittable in the field.
This does not include HIDs.
Volvo field service (the garage) has no capability to change the vehicle order to alter the way the vehicle was configured in the factory, unless the change is a planned retrofittable component such as the PAC Parking Assist Camera.

If you really really want HIDs, then sondier selling the car and getting another which had HIDs ex factory. It may be easier and cheaper for you!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,235 Posts

I can't remember off hand anyone actually successfully completing the full swap because of the huge amount of work, cost, and interconectivity built into the cars from Volvo via CANbus.
agreed with above - never heard of succesfull OEM HID swap , its just too much problems with adapting wiring, levelling sensors etc etc.
Much easier is to swap JUST the projectors from HID car and retrofit aftermarket HID kit. Car will still "think" its H7 bulb, you will have to manually level the lights but output will be D1S bulb into D1S projector.
Just make sure you read about HID rettrofit issues (WMM fgailures, SKBOWE etc..)

·
Registered
129 Posts
^^my favorite part on the instructions for *some* of the HID retrofit kits is
"Be sure to have hood closed when powering on the system the first time, as some electrical faults in installation or with the car will cause the units to explode"

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Okay it doesn't matter because the 'factory hid' setup on the car was some sort of Aliexpress abomination and the car had about 6cm of water in it because he left the sunroof open all summer- the seats were mouldy and small animals had nested under the hood- worst thing is I had barely started looking at it when he was telling me that the $400 he quoted earlier was going to be more like $800 - I wouldn't even have paid $200 for it

1 - 8 of 8 Posts