SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just wondering if anyone has done a headlight conversion to HID Projectors? The only reference I can find on Swedespeed is to Iamtheonlyone who installed Sick HID's. I like the look of these, but a quick search on the internet (mostly Ford forums) indicates the customer service is terrible.

7" round HID conversions seem to be available, just not sure what mess I might be getting into (both fit and finish as well as electrical).

look forward to hearing everyone's input!

·
Registered
550 Posts
One thing I'm going to do is install relays so the headlights get full voltage.
Didn't right down the numbers the other day but it's loosing a volt or more through the factory wiring. I ran a wire from the battery to the headlights and it made a pretty big difference in brightness.
Cleaning all the contacts would help too I'm sure.

The added relay thing seems pretty popular on old cars and relays are cheap.

·
Registered
2,625 Posts
You are mixing two terms, HID and projector. HID refers to the light source and projector refers to the style of the lens / reflector system. There are cars on the market since the early 90s that have used projector lens assemblies with conventional quartz halogen bulbs. Projector lens are used to fit a smaller lens assembly into the front of the car which is usually a styling 'thing'. From personal experience, there is nothing that guarantees that a projector lens assembly will improve lighting performance relative to the conventional large style lens assemblies.

Fitting a projector lens assembly will require significant hardware fabrication. Fitting a retrofit HID bulb into a quality 7" lens assembly set up for an H4 bulb (Hella, Bosch, Cibie ....) should be relatively easy as long as you can read a wiring diagram. Purchase a high quality kit and its reliability and performance may almost be as good as a conventional H4 bulb. Purchase a cheapo kit and you only increase the potential for non performance.

As a final note, HID bulbs look different which may be part of their appeal; however, they produce a lot of their light in a part of the spectrum where the eyeball does not perform so well, so nighttime driving visibility may not improve. All US DOT approved bulbs (and Transport Canada) are restricted in the total lumens out, so a DOT approved HID may have no more output than a high quality filament style H4 bulb. You can of course purchase higher output HID bulbs which are 'illegal'; but, you can also purchase equally 'illegal' higher output filament style bulbs.

·
Registered
550 Posts
So maybe the halogen sealed beam headlights that just fit right in with full voltage would be about as good as it gets?
As far as DOT approved stuff goes I mean.

·
Registered
2,625 Posts
So maybe the halogen sealed beam headlights that just fit right in with full voltage would be about as good as it gets?
As far as DOT approved stuff goes I mean.
I know that in the US, the separate bulb / reflector arrangement in Cibie / Hella/ Bosch 7" conversions were at one time not DOT approved. The E code versions of these lights have been Transport Canada approved for a long time. I don't know what the current status of DOT approval is for these 7" conversions.

Notwithstanding their DOT status, I think the 7" H4 conversions from any of those manufactures will yield a significant improvement in night time driving, primarily because the lens / reflector does a much better job of shaping and projecting the light than the sealed beam quartz halogen style lights. Notwithstanding the DOT status, I doubt that you will get any debate on this forum that the 7" conversion kits yield a significant improvement without any down side. You might get some opinion expressed over which vendor has the best conversion kit. I suspect that none of them will disappoint.

Installing a set of relays to by-pass the internal wiring and switches in the supply to the headlights is a good idea, particularly as things like the headlight switches age and get 'not so good' at handling the current associated with the headlight bulbs. The relays improve the voltage to the bulbs and potentially extend the useful life of the headlight switch.

·
Premium Member
1,579 Posts
Relays and 12 ga. or heavier wiring help a lot. Cibie (better than Hella, IMHO) E codes are great -- you'll never want any sort of auxiliary driving lights with those. If you must use DOT sealed beams, GE Nighthawk 6024NH are excellent, although not as good as E codes. Avoid the 6024NHS, which are the fashionable "bright white" variety -- 142 Guy is entirely correct that our eyes are most sensitive in the yellow part of the spectrum. White or bluish light just adds glare while actually reducing visibility.

·
Registered
181 Posts
Just wondering if anyone has done a headlight conversion to HID Projectors? The only reference I can find on Swedespeed is to Iamtheonlyone who installed Sick HID's. I like the look of these, but a quick search on the internet (mostly Ford forums) indicates the customer service is terrible.

7" round HID conversions seem to be available, just not sure what mess I might be getting into (both fit and finish as well as electrical).

look forward to hearing everyone's input!
I don't know but I kind of like the original lights and high beams. Seem to have a nice look and feel about them. I do have an alternator so low rpms give pretty good light.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts